Is Canada and France Behind GSP on this?

We don't really care about what's going on in France, we have some cultural crossovers, mostly singers and comedians, but that's pretty much it.

There's a lot of french immigration in Montreal, because there's jobs here for the youg professionnals who would mostly be unemployed down there. There's also a lot more opportunities to start a business in Quebec, like restaurants and bakeries...

But you can go ahead and be an uneducated fool who doesn't know what he's talking about.
I was just making a little joke about how a lot of people don’t know the difference between French Canadians and people from France. Calm down my dude, all in good fun.

mma isn't the place to be a brainwashed nationalistic moron so i'm probably not far off by first, assuming TS is American and second, that 95% of everyone else here never thought for a second about the fighters country of origin when it came to picking who they hope takes the win.

I’m from Canada and have watched the UFC since UFC 2, and I used to love GSP but hate how he’s fought like a pussy ever since Serra knocked him out.

His fights now bore the fuck out of me and I cheer against him in every fight. The last fight I actually cheered him on was against Kos and IMO he lost against Hendricks

I know I’ll probably be the only Canadian in the bar cheering on Bisping but after his hug-fests with Alves, Diaz, Condit, BJ and Hardy ... along with his jab-fests against Kos and Shields ... I’m done cheering on this boring ass fighter

I’m from Canada and have watched the UFC since UFC 2, and I used to love GSP but hate how he’s fought like a pussy ever since Serra knocked him out.

His fights now bore the fuck out of me and I cheer against him in every fight. The last fight I actually cheered him on was against Kos and IMO he lost against Hendricks

I know I’ll probably be the only Canadian in the bar cheering on Bisping but after his hug-fests with Alves, Diaz, Condit, BJ and Hardy ... along with his jab-fests against Kos and Shields ... I’m done cheering on this boring ass fighter

1614673_1488068239222_full.png

France and Quebec have no relation. Try making the mistake of using Quebecois french in France. They laugh at you.

That's just not true.

You don't get laughed at when you use a Quebecois accent in France. Most French people loves Quebecois, even though they will have trouble understanding you if you start using expressions they don't have and if your accent is too thick.

And we call each others cousins. So it's a deeper relationship than most "countries". We share a cultural baggage after all. Their artists come here all the time and our artists go their all the time. They have a better knowledge of Quebec's culture than other provinces have.

It's untrue we have "no relation".

That's just not true.

You don't get laughed at when you use a Quebecois accent in France. Most French people loves Quebecois, even though they will have trouble understanding you if you start using expressions they don't have and if your accent is too thick.

And we call each others cousins. So it's a deeper relationship than most "countries". We share a cultural baggage after all. Their artists come here all the time and our artists go their all the time. They have a better knowledge of Quebec's culture than other provinces have.

It's untrue we have "no relation".

?

I've been to France for work over a dozen times and I am bilingual.... Paris is the worst. When I speak "Canadian" french they pretend not to understand in a lot of places. To the point where when I've been out with employees in Paris they have actually told off server staff. And my french is fluent...

Must be my bad luck the half dozen times it has happened. I even had a server ask me what language I was speaking while laughing.

As for relationships, my family (the majority of which lives in Quebec) don't know anyone from France.

Why would France be? He's from Quebec. They consider the French spoken by Quebecois to be basically French spoken by someone with Downs Syndrome.

It's the same as saying "Britain consider the english spoken by Canadians to be basically English spoken by someone with Downs Syndrome." You wouldn't be stupid enough to say something like that, so I'm not sure why you are stupid enough to say this about the French spoken in Quebec when you have no idea what you are talking about.

I was just making a little joke about how a lot of people don’t know the difference between French Canadians and people from France. Calm down my dude, all in good fun.

Ok no problem, I know that my culture is not very well known, and I try to get the word out through our great ambassador GSP

I am cheering for Bisping because I have British blood. I dont see why a French person wouldnt do the same for GSP.

Seeing how Britain has shitted on Canada and France many times over.

Most people interested in MMA in Canada are behind GSP, though some think he should stay retired - lots of press about concussions now (mainly due to NHL in Canada).

However, MMA is a tiny sport in Canada. There are about 10 million households in Canada. If 10% watched GSP's PPV's he's automatically get 1 million PPV's every event. So his support even in Canada can't be bigger than 10%. And its more likely that at best half his PPV's come from Canada, so only 5% of Canadians behind him is more likely.

Or put it this way - when GSP was in his prime, even in the week before and after he was fighting he might get a minute feature on TV sports. Meanwhile when Jerome Ignalia was traded from Calgary's NHL team he got hour long features on sports channels, and 10 minutes on regular news features. And when Crosby sat out most of a year because of concussions, he still got more TV time on updates on his condition than GSP did on his actual fights.

Hockey is king in Canada. MMA is a very tiny, niche sport. But among those of us who follow it, yeah, we're mainly behind him.

I have a friend who's from Paris, I've just asked her and she has no idea who or what GSP is, she has no idea what a Bisping is but confirmed that France just qualified for the World Cup in Russia.

?

I've been to France for work over a dozen times and I am bilingual.... Paris is the worst. When I speak "Canadian" french they pretend not to understand in a lot of places. To the point where when I've been out with employees in Paris they have actually told off server staff. And my french is fluent...

Must be my bad luck the half dozen times it has happened. I even had a server ask me what language I was speaking while laughing.

As for relationships, my family (the majority of which lives in Quebec) don't know anyone from France.

You said it : '' Paris is the worse''

It's so easy for a Quebecer to imitate the french accent, or to have an ''international'' french accent. You can get along with pretty much everybody outside Paris that is willing to have a conversation will easily understand you.

But in Paris you have to talk the slang they use there with tons of english words (badly pronounced) and stupid expressions. They are so bored of the tourists in those areas that they have become pissed off and bitchy. About the same feel you get in NYC.

It's the same as saying "Britain consider the english spoken by Canadians to be basically English spoken by someone with Downs Syndrome." You wouldn't be stupid enough to say something like that, so I'm not sure why you are stupid enough to say this about the French spoken in Quebec when you have no idea what you are talking about.
Yea. They do get a little pissed off when Hollywood uses Québécois voice talent to dub movies though.

The rest of Canada has reason to be pissed at Britain, though given the poor state of Canadian history education, I doubt most know about it. Britain was the arbiter in the Alaska boundary dispute, and sided with three Americans. The entire panhandle would be Canadian of things had gone differently.

Most Canadians, québécois or otherwise, are probably cheering for GSP if they are even aware he's fighting. Most Brits are cheering for Bisping. No idea about France.

Last edited:

Looks like someone was triggered. It was what is commonly referred to as a joke...perhaps you have heard of the concept?

We speak and write in proper English in Canada, not American English

?

Waiters in Paris are generally rude to everyone. They have the worst service I have ever seen.

They certainly will have more trouble understanding you if you don't adapt your language a little, I agree with that. But people won't laugh unless they are complete a**holes.

And your family doesn't speak for everyone. I was talking about overall cultural (artists crossing over), economical (44% of transactions in between Canada and France come from Quebec when it represents just 20% of the Canadian population) and political (scheduled meeting between Quebec's prime minister and France's president).

"France has had “direct and special relations” with Quebec, based on historic, cultural and economic ties since the 1960s."

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/canada/france-and-quebec/

Yea. They do get a little pissed off when Hollywood uses Québécois voice talent to dub movies though.

We are going far in the discussion :), but...

I actually work in postproduction and unless we're talking about movies like Slap Shot or Goon (those use the thick Quebecois accent because it just fits better and it's funnier), dubs made in Quebec use the "international French". And dubs are generally made in both Quebec and France, for economical purpose.

And honestly, I think dubs in Quebec are generally better because the accent is softer and we are North Americans after all. The sensibility is closer. Just hear Will Smith in this video... The one from France is more over the top (IMO).

We are going far in the discussion :), but...

I actually work in postproduction and unless we're talking about movies like Slap Shot or Goon (those use the thick Quebecois accent because it just fits better and it's funnier), dubs made in Quebec use the "international French". And dubs are generally made in both Quebec and France, for economical purpose.

And honestly, I think dubs in Quebec are generally better because the accent is softer and we are North Americans after all. The sensibility is closer. Just hear Will Smith in this video... The one from France is more over the top (IMO).

I don't work in the business, just going of what I'd heard in the news. My impression was always that it was more "We'd rather have the job done here, so let's find a dumb reason", than "Screw those guys, they sound funny and I can't understand them."

Back