Keep your nose out Mark Goddard, stop interfering.

I agree actually, but for a different reason.

While the short Goddard induced break in action didn't really bother me while I was watching the fight (nor did I think it had a quantifiable effect on the outcome whatsoever), it's still quite a good example of how unprofessional the UFC can be at times when you think about it.

I would assume that there's a consensus that Conor shouldn't have been able to act as a 4th cornerman for Artem, and the reasons for that should be clear, but why on earth did the in-cage referee end up having to be the person to put a stop to something that's against the rules outside of the Octagon? Shouldn't there be countless officials and/or other staff present that aren't, you know, busy refereeing a fight and being responsible for upholding the safety of the athletes?

If I was a fighter myself, the referee would be the last person I would want diverting his attention elsewhere from the actual combat.

Goddard is the best in the game, end of story.

I said it before and I'll say it again.. if that was ANY other fighter pulling that shit, you can guarantee they would've gotten ejected from ringside, amd potentially fined and suspended from cornering/fighting for however long and a lecture from the commission, not to mention potential dq loss for their fighter.

Clear violation of the rules, doesn't matter if you're Conor McGregor or Justin fucking Buchholz you cant stomp around the ring screaming in the ring when you already have 3 cornermen. Not only distracting to the fighters but the officials in and around the ring. Marc Goddard did the right thing Conor isn't above the commission and rules.

As I have said repeatedly, I agree Conor is in violation.
Read the guys post below, the other officials and/or security should have dealt with him.

I agree actually, but for a different reason.

While the short Goddard induced break in action didn't really bother me while I was watching the fight (nor did I think it had a quantifiable effect on the outcome whatsoever), it's still quite a good example of how unprofessional the UFC can be at times when you think about it.

I would assume that there's a consensus that Conor shouldn't have been able to act as a 4th cornerman for Artem, and the reasons for that should be clear, but why on earth did the in-cage referee end up having to be the person to put a stop to something that's against the rules outside of the Octagon? Shouldn't there be countless officials and/or other staff present that aren't, you know, busy refereeing a fight and being responsible for upholding the safety of the athletes?

If I was a fighter myself, the referee would be the last person I would want diverting his attention elsewhere from the actual combat.

Only mma fans would get upset a ref is going by the rules.

Goddard could call a eye poke and you fucking clowns would cry.

Agree that Conor was in the wrong.
Disagree that Mark did the right thing.

His job is to referee the fight not the crowd. There are other officials outside the cage as well as security for that purpose. It's not his responsibility.
And he INTERRUPTED AN ONGOING FIGHT, because a guy was shouting outside the cage.
The continuity and flow of the fight is more important.

How the fuck did you make silver belt with asinine posts?

Conor had no business acting like an extra cornerman. It's against the rules. That is Goddard's job to enforce.

No ref makes the fight about themselves more than Big John.

Big John is the best ref IMO

lmao no one is safe from the lust of Conor's fanboys

They might kick the opponent in the balls to get 45 seconds? Are you aware when someone gets kicked in the balls they get up to 5 mins anyway ?

No ts, fighter should just obey the rules better.

lmao no one is safe from the lust of Conor's fanboys

I'm not a Connor fanboy. This thread was made in July after another fight. I bumped it after the Artem fight.

They might kick the opponent in the balls to get 45 seconds? Are you aware when someone gets kicked in the balls they get up to 5 mins anyway ?

The amount of time taken is up to the recovery time of the guy who got kicked (up to 5 minutes), my point is that even if the guy wasn't hurt or instantly recovered, the fighter would still get a 45 seconds rest during one of rules professor Mark Goddard's mini mid fight lectures.

I've seen other refs tell off corners for coaching during nut shot breaks. I suppose it's the ref's job to stop people from breaking the rules. Conor was coaching yet wasn't in his corner so perhaps that count's as a ref's responsibility.

I know the guy's got a sherdog account, would be great if he weighed in

Agree that Conor was in the wrong.
Disagree that Mark did the right thing.

His job is to referee the fight not the crowd. There are other officials outside the cage as well as security for that purpose. It's not his responsibility.
And he INTERRUPTED AN ONGOING FIGHT, because a guy was shouting outside the cage.
The continuity and flow of the fight is more important.

Well you are wrong. Security doesn't have to know the MMA rules, the referee do. Therefore its referees job to interfere when theres a breach of MMA rules.

Its not hard to understand really..

Oh and, theres nothing wrong with ref interrupting a fight when someone is abusing the ruleset clearly. Since you focus on that interrupt word too much.

McNugget was breaking the rules(and acting like a cock) Goddard enforced the rules and put a stop to it. It’s really not difficult to understand.

I used to like Goddard but it seems ever since he got his 'cool guy' haircut he just wants to be on TV

Annoying as shit

ive noticed it too over the years

I felt he made a fine decision. The ref oversees the fight as a whole. He needs to be able to put his footdown when the integrity of what the contract was signed for is being compromised(Fouls of any sort). Artem having a 4th man at ring side was a foul, as each corner is allowed 3. Artem is lucky it was simply just conor being told to fuck off, and not getting penalized for it. Goddard explained his actions perfectly fine when he questioned What if Conor had talked him through a fight ending sequence from ring side where he's not lincensed to be when Fili dosen't get a 4th man. It's plain not fair, Conor could yell it from his seat till his heart was content Goddard said, but you're 100% not allowed to do it from ring side when you're a spectator and not a cornerman.

Goddard fails to control the situation on Sunday.
Not the greatest ref that everyone makes him out to be imo.

Big John still the best

In a bout that was freakish for an entirely different reason, KSW lightweight champion Mateusz Gamrot and Northern Ireland’s Norman Parke hardly settled their grudge in their rematch. In fact, their hatred intensified after the fight ended in a second-round no-contest due to eye pokes, resulting in an in-cage fracas.

At KSW “Colosseum” in May, Gamrot won a contentious but unanimous verdict over Parke, though the bout gained infamy due to the former biting the Parke’s fingers on the floor. This time around, the title was not on the line for Parke, who missed weight on the eve of the event. After a close Round 1, “Gamer” was taking over with clean counter boxing, smashing up both of Parke’s eyes. However, after a first-round eye poke, Gamrot again put his finger in the eye of an encroaching Parke, who could no longer see as a result of both legitimate damage and fouls. Referee Marc Goddard waived off the fight, which seemed to incite some scuffles in the crowd. Parke then shoved one of Gamrot’s cornermen. In turn, another of Gamrot’s seconds landed a left cross on the unsuspecting Parke in what was a lamentable, ugly scene.
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Pu...-Debacle-at-KSW-40-127999#FyM05TqK15e61gjq.99

I'm not a Connor fanboy. This thread was made in July after another fight. I bumped it after the Artem fight.

The amount of time taken is up to the recovery time of the guy who got kicked (up to 5 minutes), my point is that even if the guy wasn't hurt or instantly recovered, the fighter would still get a 45 seconds rest during one of rules professor Mark Goddard's mini mid fight lectures.
Ok I understand your point now . Kick away if you need a little rest is what I say.

Back