Is Jordan B Peterson's new website idea an atrocious one or reasonable one?

But he, himself, identifies as a Christian. That, to me, is the central problem.
It's hard to get into his head about that. For all we know he might think he's running Pascal's Hedge Fund in that wacky brain of his, and doesn't believe a word of it. He does have control over the public message and the virtue signalling though, and I agree with you that it's a problem that he identifies as Christian, but for me it's the way he identifies- that it's true if you choose to believe it to be true. That belief slapped onto bias is a legitimate path to a truth that is on par with things like scientific inquiry.

Pointing out absurdity is the least a thinking person can do, not a sign of brilliance. Peterson is a peddler of woo woo. He says "create new relationships, it will enrich you!!" and people pretend as if this is a foundational insight.

You clearly aren't informed regarding Dr Peterson.

See, I don't think Peterson actually believes that. But, Peterson is right that you would be crucified for asking the question. And if you can be crucified for trying to pursue a line of inquiry, that is problematic.
The feeble mind of a woman can't function without some masculine figure to control her and tell her what to do. They say they want stuff like "respect" and "equal treatment" and "a right to their own bodies" and "not to be sexually harassed" but what they really want is to submit to a strong man who can dominate them.

Thats just basic psychology m'dude :^)

You clearly aren't informed regarding Dr Peterson.

Maybe you just need to be reasonable and accept the fact that some people don't think Peterson's perspectives on the human experience are either inspiring or innovative.

If they are to you, that's great. If he can help you achieve a more fulfilling life that's wonderful.

The feeble mind of a woman can't function without some masculine figure to control her and tell her what to do. They say they want stuff like "respect" and "equal treatment" and "a right to their own bodies" and "not to be sexually harassed" but what they really want is to submit to a strong man who can dominate them.

"No" means "Yes" with chicks. Every dude knows this.

I did not realize it cuts off :oops:. Here is another link with the complete essay if you are interested (Page 8 of the PDF "Russell Kirk calls affection for the proliferating variety and mystery of traditional life...” is where the other link ended): http://www.mmisi.org/ma/03_01/weaver.pdf

I am harboring hope for a non-existent Right. It is what Roger Scruton refers to as Scrutopia because it is something that does not exist and likely never will. :(

Here's something from the part that cut off earlier:

There is a worship of tradition and circumstance which is all fear, distrust, and feebleness of imagination, and to this the name “reaction” is rightly applied. There can be no hope for good things from an attitude as negative as this.

The type of conservatism being advanced in that piece fits Clinton and the political left in America far better than it does Trump (and radicals--today a mostly insignificant fringe--recognized that and hated Clinton for it).

Maybe you just need to be reasonable and accept the fact that some people don't think Peterson's perspectives on the human experience are either inspiring or innovative.

If they are to you, that's great. If he can help you achieve a more fulfilling life that's wonderful.

You're assuming I find Peterson's views inspiring or innovative.

I was simply pointing out someone talking about him from a position of ignorance.

If they are criticizing a PhD in lesbian arts degrees than no it does not apply to them.
What about a PhD in history? Or sociology? Or English? Plenty of fields lean left, not just stuff like gender studies. Point being w9/10 a certain sort of right winger takes a kind of anti-intellectual stance in which being a part of academia is not only not a source of legitimacy but the opposite, until they latch onto one academic who mirrors their views and then suddenly the PhD matters.

As a guy with fucked up submissve fantasies which involve being told what to do, I can totally relate ;)

Another balanced article from the CBC...

If anyone is familiar with academia in Canada, this is a very good idea. Most parents don't know what they're signing up their kids for, and a lot of the social sciences are racist cesspools. Shine a light on these cockroaches, they're only creating division and animosity in the country where you could argue that racial harmony was achieved.

It is pretty sad. IMO, Canada was the perfect country for a while. In terms of racial division, gay rights, and religious tolerance I can't think of a better place than Canada at the turn of the Century. 17 years later and 'progressives' seem to have regressed Canada. Division seems to becoming more of an issue.

But that is the agenda being pushed. So I guess everything is going to plan for our overlords.

Sad.

What about a PhD in history? Or sociology? Or English? Plenty of fields lean left, not just stuff like gender studies. Point being w9/10 a certain sort of right winger takes a kind of anti-intellectual stance in which being a part of academia is not only not a source of legitimacy but the opposite, until they latch onto one academic who mirrors their views and then suddenly the PhD matters.
It would have to come down to how credible the area of study would be I suppose. I think we all have enough common sense and can suss that out for ourselves. Like Noam Chomsky for example, he is an intellectual juggernaut no matter what you think.

Unfortunately though both sides discredit people when they do not share the same world view they do because they will always view them as fundamentally flawed. Sort of like when someone says 2+2=5, sometimes things simply cannot be computed because of political slants being injected into areas of study that won't register.

But English and history are left leaning?

It would have to come down to how credible the area of study would be I suppose. I think we all have enough common sense and can suss that out for ourselves. Like Noam Chomsky for example, he is an intellectual juggernaut no matter what you think.

Unfortunately though both sides discredit people when they do not share the same world view they do because they will always view them as fundamentally flawed. Sort of like when someone says 2+2=5, sometimes things simply cannot be computed because of political slants being injected into areas of study that won't register.

Chomsky is a good example, I've seen people on this forum say he's a bum. It's embarrassing.

I think certain areas of study get underestimated by some when they don't like the politics of those engaging in it. For instance, I do think gender studies, specifically within history, is more valid then people give it credit. Women are a part of history and yet their role tends to get overlooked often. Studying history with a focus on the roles women played within societies of the past is a legitimate endeavor which falls under gender studies but some get triggered by the very notion that studying gender as a concept has any value.
The professors in those fields tend to be left leaning is what I meant.

Bonus meme:

That's one of the more embarrassing things he says. I think he's really trying to shove in the relevance of some weird psychoanalysis point here that doesn't fit at all. Or the idea is just a way for him to passive aggressively insult his ideological opponents. Or both.

The idea that feminists don't criticize Islam only makes sense if you ignore the feminists in the Muslim world who have been criticizing religious norms for almost a century at least if not more.

I think certain areas of study get underestimated by some when they don't like the politics of those engaging in it. For instance, I do think gender studies, specifically within history, is more valid then people give it credit. Women are a part of history and yet their role tends to get overlooked often. Studying history with a focus on the roles women played within societies of the past is a legitimate endeavor which falls under gender studies but some get triggered by the very notion that studying gender as a concept has any value.

The professors in those fields tend to be left leaning is what I meant.

Of course there is value in things like gender studies conceptually. The problem people have is the ideology being pumped into them, which corrupts it. So the purpose becomes less about honest exploration and learning and more about becoming a useful tool for someone elses agenda.

That's one of the more embarrassing things he says. I think he's really trying to shove in the relevance of some weird psychoanalysis point here that doesn't fit at all. Or the idea is just a way for him to passive aggressively insult his ideological opponents. Or both.

The idea that feminists don't criticize Islam only makes sense if you ignore the feminists in the Muslim world who have been criticizing religious norms for almost a century at least if not more.
This is another good one

Of course there is value in things like gender studies conceptually. The problem people have is the ideology being pumped into them, which corrupts it. So the purpose becomes less about honest exploration and learning and more about becoming a useful tool for someone elses agenda.
That seems to get said by people who haven't actually read any of the material from the field.

That seems to get said by people who haven't actually read any of the material from the field.

I think it is apparent that there is ideological influence, and the resulting activism is also apparent. It is not some secret that these 'critical gender studies' programs that have been rolled out in synchronized fashion all across the West are largely ideological in nature.

You could say 'Well sure there is an ideological component, but there is also some decent work being done' and that would be likely true IMO.

I've heard him talk about this sort of thing before and he was referring to Western feminism, and it is true that there is a sort of alliance with Islam within that context.

Certainly the tweet could be perceived more than one way though.

Back