Little situation at my gim

If he doesn't trust him, he probably just shouldn't roll with him. It also raises the question of why the coach of the gym hasn't intervened if the guy in question is a dangerous partner to those around him. The reason I have an issue with people that dictate some special terms to rolls is because usually they tend to go the hardest.

"Oh man, my right shoulder was hurt two weeks, ago so be careful", what am I supposed to do with that? How do I avoid the entire right half of your upper body - sure, I can not go for Kimuras, but it just seems odd. I feel like it would be much better to just drill if something on your body isn't feeling up to par for sparring.

I know that I'm projecting on everyone though my own anecdotal experiences, which is a dangerous thought process, but it seems to be a type. By that I mean, the people that ask you to refrain from something, are usually going to smash cross faces, knee on face, and generally act like this is the final match of a tournament.

The 'good partners' are the ones that don't mention anything beforehand but tap when they're in a compromising position or beginning of a hold to mitigate any exposure of their injury.

I totally agree with this. I had 2 guys at the gym who acted this way, who are no longer there. Something was always hurt on them so they ask you to avoid a certain area, or go 'lite'.

But when the roll starts there the one going super hard like there not hurt. It's like WTF.

The 'good partners' are the ones that don't mention anything beforehand but tap when they're in a compromising position or beginning of a hold to mitigate any exposure of their injury.

What's the point of be attacking something in training that's injured and the other guy won't even defend it? It's not likely that my opponent in the tournament will have the same exact injury?

Honestly, since your a brown belt you should be able to handle a blue belt, a new blue belt at that too. I'm assuming this guy is NOT a world class athlete.

You should have tremendous knowledge and skill over this guy, regardless of size. At the end of the day your a martial artist, your trained to defend/know how to fight.

Unless there is a special special circumstances like your super small and he is super big, you should have the experience to handle this guy.

I imagine you must have been in some though training environment to get that brown belt.

Even the best blue belts at my gym, the brown belts can handle them no problem. These browns are in there mid 30s and in there 40s.

Honestly, since your a brown belt you should be able to handle a blue belt, a new blue belt at that too. I'm assuming this guy is NOT a world class athlete.

You should have tremendous knowledge and skill over this guy, regardless of size. At the end of the day your a martial artist, your trained to defend/know how to fight.

Unless there is a special special circumstances like your super small and he is super big, you should have the experience to handle this guy.

I imagine you must have been in some though training environment to get that brown belt.

Even the best blue belts at my gym, the brown belts can handle them no problem. These browns are in there mid 30s and in there 40s.

This guy is not inexperienced, he teaches an mma class to newbies, I think he has fought once or twice... It´s not that I'm worried that he will beat me, I've been subbed before by lower belts, It´s just that I don´t want to get injured. But I also want him to stfu so I guess I will invite him to roll...

I see world class blues run thru older browns and blacks all the time. Perhaps you just haven't run into those types

@Torrid is right. they let that behavior carry on in your gym?

I see world class blues run thru older browns and blacks all the time. Perhaps you just haven't run into those types

Some people are just really good athletes. We also have guys that got their blue belts fast and that mostly train no gi and MMA. They don't do enough gi classes to get promoted to purple even if they have the skills.

Those guys have power and cardio and it doesn't suprises us when they kick brown belts asses.

Jesus ive entered this thread and saw like 10 different posters I’ve never seen posting before...weird..

Op, is not a fight is a roll, it doesn’t matter how hard it is, that’s what you there for, to roll. Just tell him. No hh or toe holds, those are the subs that can compromise your leg...

Read my quote again...I mentioned 'unless there world class athletes'.

Just imagine that you rolled with him and got injured. You will feel like an idiot.

Think of him as a 5-year-old kid. Would you try an prove something then? Would you be able to explain a kid why you do not want to roll with him? Just do the same.

We also have a guy like that one. I do not roll with him, and I do not care what he thinks about it.

I agree with this.

@Ogami -

I know you kind of already addressed this, but honestly, if you're not comfortable then there's no need to roll with him. Let him talk all he wants. It just makes him look like a dick. We had a guy like this at our gym when it first opened. Insecure, but with all the macho bluster to cover it up. He would come to class early and blast death metal and stomp and pace back and forth before class like he was about to fight for a world title in MMA. He was coming to class not just to roll with his team mates but to actually beat them up. As if a young/fit 25 year old, taking out a 45 year old accountant, a 50 year old graphic designer and a 19 year old math major in a Tuesday night beginners BJJ class was some kind of accomplishment.

He beat up a lot of the other white belts through sheer force of spaz and started saying things like "I should just have a blue belt. These other white belts just aren't at my level" and "my strength is just so retarded. You can't even understand it". I told him that it was in fact retarded, but not in the way he thought. He then started talking trash on all of the belts higher than him. Especially me (at 5'5" I'm one of the smallest guys in the gym so it was especially funny). You know what I did? Nothing. I just smiled and nodded and went on with my training. Rolling with him would have just given him the attention he was desperately seeking and put me at risk of being injured. No point in it at all. Eventually the entire gym stopped working with him. After that and several pretty stern beatings from our head coach, he's calmed down a lot, but most of his "talk" was all coming from insecurity. Just ignore him. It will be fine.

Some people are just really good athletes. We also have guys that got their blue belts fast and that mostly train no gi and MMA. They don't do enough gi classes to get promoted to purple even if they have the skills.

Those guys have power and cardio and it doesn't suprises us when they kick brown belts asses.

Exactly. You can take a division one level college athlete from wrestling(obviously), even basketball and football they will reach purple belt level in 3 to 6 months. Those guys coming in, if they were to train, already possess the ability of high level blues. They only need to learn the proper mechanic and techniques and they progress fast. It helps that they are incredible athletes to begin with so hard physical training and coordinated activities is easy for them.

This guy is not inexperienced, he teaches an mma class to newbies, I think he has fought once or twice... It´s not that I'm worried that he will beat me, I've been subbed before by lower belts, It´s just that I don´t want to get injured. But I also want him to stfu so I guess I will invite him to roll...

Is this guy a personal friend or related with the gym owner or something? Because you mentioned he was in prison for a little bit? What was he in prison for? I'm surprised the gym owner is even allowing this guy to teach classes, if anything, the gym owner needs to keep a closer eye on him, not let him teach. Unless you train at one of those super hardcore, sketchy gyms, no pain no gain type places. Its sort of weird.

Based on everything you have said, he's sounding more and more like a bully. I know most gyms have an unspoken pecking order. Maybe this guy wants to be considered one of the 'top guys' at the gym so he is aiming for high ranking guys like yourself to prove something or maybe he doesn't like you for some reason(no disrespect to you) is being extra dickish. I don't know.

Is this guy a personal friend or related with the gym owner or something? Because you mentioned he was in prison for a little bit? What was he in prison for? I'm surprised the gym owner is even allowing this guy to teach classes, if anything, the gym owner needs to keep a closer eye on him, not let him teach. Unless you train at one of those super hardcore, sketchy gyms, no pain no gain type places. Its sort of weird.

Based on everything you have said, he's sounding more and more like a bully. I know most gyms have an unspoken pecking order. Maybe this guy wants to be considered one of the 'top guys' at the gym so he is aiming for high ranking guys like yourself to prove something or maybe he doesn't like you for some reason(no disrespect to you) is being extra dickish. I don't know.

Our gym is legit, it´s pretty big and we have a lot of competitors, we always place 1st in team points in local comps. I'm not sure about this, but since my coach pays the owner of the gim for the mat, I'm guessing this guy must the gim's owner friend or something, that´s why he's giving his crappy mma classes. Not sure why he went to prison, a couple of times I saw some of his friends smoking weed just outside. Also one time there was a problem with some shit stolen. Not saying it was him by any means, but maybe his friends... Don´t know I kinda liked the guy at first but he finally managed to piss me off lol-

Honestly once you've been training long enough, it matters less and less. It's still annoying, but really what's the benefit of you rolling with him? Satisfying your ego?

Once you've been hurt often enough you start to protect yourself in rolls. But it comes down to what you are looking for out of jiujitsu. After so many years and so many injuries, I care more about being able to train than making sure I prove myself. I have nothing left to prove. I just want to stay healthy and learn and have fun.

Now it's also easy to say that but still occasionally get caught up in the ego and start going really hard.

I've been out over a year with a back injury, and spent almost 3 of the last 4 years not training. As a black belt, it's incredibly difficult to come back. Everyone is out to get you and prove how good they are now. Even people that aren't any better will still give you a tough time because your timing might be off or you are out of shape.

However, considering you've been back for a full year I don't understand how you are still worried about it. Either roll with him or don't. I generally avoid rolling with big spazzes now because it's mostly a no win situation. It's good for competition prep, or to get a different look at how to control someone, but generally you just have to jump around a lot and stay ahead and then get to a good position and lock them down. It's good experience, but risk vs reward might not be worth it.

If he says something tell him you prefer not to roll with spastic people that tend to hurt their training partners.

Contrary to what Holt was saying, most of the injuries I see are not from submissions but rather from random explosions in weird situations that put you in awkward positions. Unpredictable movements which rarely work but often injure. People start giving these guys more room to work because they don't want to get hurt and then those guys are "rewarded" and keep playing like that, unless your coach is hands on enough to see what's happening and put them in their place.

What's the point of be attacking something in training that's injured and the other guy won't even defend it? It's not likely that my opponent in the tournament will have the same exact injury?

By that I meant, the good partners will roll only if they find themselves healthy enough to do it and protect anything they're weary of - actively keeping their sore limb out of reach, then tapping early if someone goes for it. We often forget that this fighting and that we learn to protect ourselves this way. You should always be able to alter your game to mitigate an injury if it is not so bad that's keeping you off the mat; this is only practice after all and the place to implement new strategies.

Exactly. You can take a division one level college athlete from wrestling(obviously), even basketball and football they will reach purple belt level in 3 to 6 months. Those guys coming in, if they were to train, already possess the ability of high level blues. They only need to learn the proper mechanic and techniques and they progress fast. It helps that they are incredible athletes to begin with so hard physical training and coordinated activities is easy for them.

unless they train 6 hours a day 5 days a week, there is zero chances they will get to a purple belt level in 6 months. 3 times a week 2 hours per session, it will take him just as much as it would take to any normal person, they will be able to present more challenge because of the straighten and athletic ability, but technically, theres really no reason why they would get better than normal people.

So true that's why there are no weight classes in bjj........

The only reason there are weight classes is that people make more money for each weight class championship , same as boxing. Now stop bitching about it, 30 pounds isn't that much of a difference, you just want to make excuses for your lousiness.

If it was 60 pounds difference with lean body mass then there is a disadvantage.

The only reason there are weight classes is that people make more money for each weight class championship , same as boxing. Now stop bitching about it, 30 pounds isn't that much of a difference, you just want to make excuses for your lousiness.

If it was 60 pounds difference with lean body mass then there is a disadvantage.

Yeah, op said 60 pound difference. So...

Back