Little situation at my gim

Honestly a brown belt should be able to control and smash a blue belt/protect his legs. You might not be as aggressive with the submissions but you should be able to control him.

You do realize he said it was over a year ago, he is a brown belt, and an adult that is asking a forum about his hurt ego?

Lol
Yeah, my bad as I did not read it properly.

However I think it is fair to ask to not train with leg locks if you don't trust your sparring partner.

Yeah, my bad as I did not read it properly.

However I think it is fair to ask to not train with leg locks if you don't trust your sparring partner.

If he doesn't trust him, he probably just shouldn't roll with him. It also raises the question of why the coach of the gym hasn't intervened if the guy in question is a dangerous partner to those around him. The reason I have an issue with people that dictate some special terms to rolls is because usually they tend to go the hardest.

"Oh man, my right shoulder was hurt two weeks, ago so be careful", what am I supposed to do with that? How do I avoid the entire right half of your upper body - sure, I can not go for Kimuras, but it just seems odd. I feel like it would be much better to just drill if something on your body isn't feeling up to par for sparring.

I know that I'm projecting on everyone though my own anecdotal experiences, which is a dangerous thought process, but it seems to be a type. By that I mean, the people that ask you to refrain from something, are usually going to smash cross faces, knee on face, and generally act like this is the final match of a tournament.

The 'good partners' are the ones that don't mention anything beforehand but tap when they're in a compromising position or beginning of a hold to mitigate any exposure of their injury.

Honestly a brown belt should be able to control and smash a blue belt/protect his legs. You might not be as aggressive with the submissions but you should be able to control him.

Not necessarily. The blue belt has 60 lbs on the brown belt. Just because you make brown belt doesn’t mean you’re a complete savage and able to dominate all blue belts....especially with an athletic/aggressive/strong/probably younger blue belt. Just sayin.

Have sex with him, then make his wife watch to prove you're the better grappler

Hey guys, there's something that has been bothering me lately at my gim and wanted share...

So I'm a bown belt and have been been training for like 10 years... Had a knee injury (ACL surgery) and was out for like one year. Now I feel pretty good, almost 100%.

When I came back there was this new guy, big white belt with mma training experience, and he repetedly asked me to roll. I knew he injured a couple lf my teammates with leg attacks (nothing serious I think) and didn't really like his attitude, like he wanted to prove something, so I always said no to roll. The guy is also like 60 pounds heavier than me.

Now he's a blue belt, and lately he jokes with me like in a passive-agressive way, and today he insinuated I suck. I feel like I've got nothing to prove to anybody but that really upset me. Think I could take him but could get injured also...

Any of you had some similar stories?

Happens everywhere. It's easy for me to avoid these because I'm at a age where I don't really care anymore and I just enjoy being able to train so if I don't feel right, I just won't roll. I'm fairly lucky in that I've got a fairly good team with very few knuckleheads around. A few special ones, but no out and out idiots.

It ain't worth injury and another 12 months off.

1. tap early
2. roll at the intensity you're comfortable with
3. don't roll with goons who will crank on shit looking for gym wins
4. never assume a spaz won't try to crank a sub when given the opportunity
5. don't give spazzes the opportunity

I agree, but if the guy is young, significantly heavier (which dude is) and is versed in MMA (used to scrambling) and basically injury free, I can totally see the hesitancy with rolling with this dickwad white or near blue, belt.

You can do everything right and pull a tendon simply cuz the dude has forty pounds on you and his joints and body are brand new because he’s in his early twenties and made of rubber.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The blue belt has 60 lbs on the brown belt. Just because you make brown belt doesn’t mean you’re a complete savage and able to dominate all blue belts....especially with an athletic/aggressive/strong/probably younger blue belt. Just sayin.

I dont think you have to be a bad ass to be able to control/pin lower belts that are large than you. Imho, it's just that us bjj guys are over obsessed with "smooth" "flow" that we don't practice it like we should. Pining and controlling a bigger guy until he tires out should be a skill that is practiced. Especially as you get older.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer Homer Simpson's "guym"

I like the "guym" more phonetically but it's still spelt GYM

Coming back from an knee injury myself, I also decline rolling with significantly bigger and spazzier peeps. At this point, i stopped giving a shit about how others perceive me and how i compare to others . It's my own personal journey, so fuck it. Haters gonna hate. if someone thinks they are hot shit, go dojo storm a world champ's gym.

Hey guys, there's something that has been bothering me lately at my gim and wanted share...

So I'm a bown belt and have been been training for like 10 years... Had a knee injury (ACL surgery) and was out for like one year. Now I feel pretty good, almost 100%.

When I came back there was this new guy, big white belt with mma training experience, and he repetedly asked me to roll. I knew he injured a couple lf my teammates with leg attacks (nothing serious I think) and didn't really like his attitude, like he wanted to prove something, so I always said no to roll. The guy is also like 60 pounds heavier than me.

Now he's a blue belt, and lately he jokes with me like in a passive-agressive way, and today he insinuated I suck. I feel like I've got nothing to prove to anybody but that really upset me. Think I could take him but could get injured also...

Any of you had some similar stories?
i agree with @Russky about speaking to him like a 5 year old. i also would like to add to make sure you say it in front of everyone. dont take him to side to save his pride. say it in a normal tone not yelling and not whispering just say it matter of factly. because his is not a five year old and is in fact a grown man. if he perceives that everyone heard that he will hopefully seek to change his ways vs if he was the only one who heard it he might try to pretend it never happened. you have to be above people like that psychologically. i dont know him but i get the suspicion that if you told him "no leg locks" he will look for legs. he sounds like a douche do you guys do stand up? someone needs to punch him hard.

Well this is bjj not a real fight , weight doesn't matter so much.

i agree with @Russky about speaking to him like a 5 year old. i also would like to add to make sure you say it in front of everyone. dont take him to side to save his pride. say it in a normal tone not yelling and not whispering just say it matter of factly. because his is not a five year old and is in fact a grown man. if he perceives that everyone heard that he will hopefully seek to change his ways vs if he was the only one who heard it he might try to pretend it never happened. you have to be above people like that psychologically. i dont know him but i get the suspicion that if you told him "no leg locks" he will look for legs. he sounds like a douche do you guys do stand up? someone needs to punch him hard.

Well this guy just won´t listen, I already talked to him but keeps going. All was friendly until yesterday, because what he said to me upset me, like I wasn´t worth of my brown or something...

There are always been good vibes at my gym but this guy has a wrong attitude. Just so you guys know the kind of guy he is, he has been in prison, talks about competing in the adult division (he's master 2, about my age) "because that´s where the real competition is" but never competed as far as I know. He has never injured someone seriously I think but I have seen him roll and he's like a spazz. I want to shut him up bad but honestly I'm kind of worried to get injured. Never refused a roll except for this guy so maybe he got offended, I have refused him 4 or 5 times already.

Well this guy just won´t listen, I already talked to him but keeps going. All was friendly until yesterday, because what he said to me upset me, like I wasn´t worth of my brown or something...

There are always been good vibes at my gym but this guy has a wrong attitude. Just so you guys know the kind of guy he is, he has been in prison, talks about competing in the adult division (he's master 2, about my age) "because that´s where the real competition is" but never competed as far as I know. He has never injured someone seriously I think but I have seen him roll and he's like a spazz. I want to shut him up bad but honestly I'm kind of worried to get injured. Never refused a roll except for this guy so maybe he got offended, I have refused him 4 or 5 times already.
well fuck him. just ignore him, he should feel offended. do you think the reason the instructor hasn't intervened yet is because he might be intimidated by the fact he has been in prison? not dissing coach, there are things you will learn in prison you will not learn on the mat. anyway, its not worth risking something as important as your ACL for him to feel better about himself. sounds like he has a self control problem either physically mentally or both. though i do think you should try to befriend him because friends are better than enemies and this situation will probably end up making one of you leave the gym otherwise.

well fuck him. just ignore him, he should feel offended. do you think the reason the instructor hasn't intervened yet is because he might be intimidated by the fact he has been in prison? not dissing coach, there are things you will learn in prison you will not learn on the mat. anyway, its not worth risking something as important as your ACL for him to feel better about himself. sounds like he has a self control problem either physically mentally or both. though i do think you should try to befriend him because friends are better than enemies and this situation will probably end up making one of you leave the gym otherwise.

Maybe it sounded more serious than it really is... Never considered leaving my gim, this is like a family and this guy is just the asshole. Must be one in every family I guess. Maybe I will just tell him to compete if he wants to prove himself so bad, or maybe one day I will roll and try to smash him.

I'm a technical guy but I've had some trouble since my injury, not that it hurts but my game has changed. Top half for example used to be my best position using knee slice, now it's my weakest because that´s how I got injured and don´t feel comfortable there. Also tap earlier than I should on leglocks...

Maybe it sounded more serious than it really is... Never considered leaving my gim, this is like a family and this guy is just the asshole. Must be one in every family I guess. Maybe I will just tell him to compete if he wants to prove himself so bad, or maybe one day I will roll and try to smash him.

I'm a technical guy but I've had some trouble since my injury, not that it hurts but my game has changed. Top half for example used to be my best position using knee slice, now it's my weakest because that´s how I got injured and don´t feel comfortable there. Also tap earlier than I should on leglocks...
fair enough you shouldn't let us decide for you, just take the advice into account and make your decision since you know better than anyone else of the situation

fair enough you shouldn't let us decide for you, just take the advice into account and make your decision since you know better than anyone else of the situation

Thanks for the feedback man

Man. Your in a tough spot. I guarantee you a probably tons better than this guy. I know guys like the one you described, all muscle, little technique. They will muscle the shit out of a bad spot or try and force a submission risking injury.

I try to avoid rolling with those guys. I broke my wrist two years ago rolling with a guy like that. I was passing and was gripping the pants under his knee. Dude just used all his strength and explosive power to try and stop the pass. My hand became stuck in the cloth and he just kept twisting his body as strong as he could until my wrist snapped. No true technique, just bad jiu jitsu.

Back