Amir Khan gets attacked online by some religious Muslims for putting up a Christmass tree

I dont think he should put up a christmas tree if hes a practicing Muslim but its nothing to freak out about lol.

No man. People tribalize. Religion was invented to make the tribe larger, and to teach those within it that killing and greed is wrong. It got us further away from our animal instincs. That's why some incredibly wise people invented it. Small groups roaming around with no positive direction other than "I can have whatever I can take by force" is what religion stopped in the first place.

Brain-science shows faith and prayer puts people's thinking into their pre-frontal cortex, and makes them more empathetic and increases their organization.
Religion , in some cases, was created to enhance tribalism (Judaism and Hinduism for example), where religion indoctrinated people to see the world as an Us vs. Them and to be xenophobic of the other. Islam came along and advanced Arab tribalism and imperialism in religious garb. Religion makes people's bigotries and prejudice order of magnitude worse or makes decent people into monsters (eg: ISIS, Islamic orthodoxy)

I dont think he should put up a christmas tree if hes a practicing Muslim but its nothing to freak out about lol.
It's more of just a happy celebration symbol now, something for kids and people to enjoy. And he is living in a Christian country. So if Islamic culture says Muslims shouldn't enjoy Christian / Pagan societal norms, then why should Christian nations give any respect to Islamic culture.

Religion , in some cases, was created to enhance tribalism (Judaism and Hinduism for example), where religion indoctrinated people to see the world as an Us vs. Them and to be xenophobic of the other. Islam came along and advanced Arab tribalism and imperialism in religious garb. Religion makes people's bigotries and prejudice order of magnitude worse or makes decent people into monsters (eg: ISIS, Islamic orthodoxy)

It did "enhance" tribalism, you are correct. Without it, small tribes would have been fighting with small tribes for small prizes. It put more people under one banner, and gave positive direction with rules for conduct. That gives socieies strength and purpose. Be weary of those who wish to overly divide, and cloudy the moral compass.

It's more of just a happy celebration symbol now, something for kids and people to enjoy. And he is living in a Christian country. So if Islamic culture says Muslims shouldn't enjoy Christian / Pagan societal norms, then why should Christian nations give any respect to Islamic culture.

I didnt know showing respect means practicing that stuff. I respect Christianity as well. I'm not going to put up a cross in my house. Islam is against Paganism btw. If someone wants to be a Pagan fine but a Muslim is to avoid and not indulge in Pagan practices.

I didnt know showing respect means practicing that stuff. I respect Christianity as well. I'm not going to put up a cross in my house. Islam is against Paganism btw. If someone wants to be a Pagan fine but a Muslim is to avoid and not indulge in Pagan practices.
The respect part pertains to showing tolerance towards other Muslims who like to enjoy non Muslim traditions.
And the Kaaba is a Pagan ritual site , so Islam's holiest relic was created by Pagans. Islam isn't against Paganism even though it claims to be.

It did "enhance" tribalism, you are correct. Without it, small tribes would have been fighting with small tribes for small prizes. It put more people under one banner, and gave positive direction with rules for conduct. That gives socieies strength and purpose. Be weary of those who wish to overly divide, and cloudy the moral compass.
It enhanced tribalism for those seen as within the tribe, and it enhanced divisions between these tribal members and people outside the tribe, enhancing and creating new hatreds. It's as if various WNist groups all coalesce under a unified banner, resulting in no infighting but this coming together also resulted in increasing the threat posed to non WNist.

The respect part pertains to showing tolerance towards other Muslims who like to enjoy non Muslim traditions.
And the Kaaba is a Pagan ritual site , so Islam's holiest relic was created by Pagans. Islam isn't against Paganism even though it claims to be.

In Islamic belief, the kaaba was a monotheist site taken over by Pagans. Islam is against Paganism. So is Christianity.

Thats why i said people shouldnt freak out about it (showing tolerance). But in my view and the view of Muslims he should not do that. Its not that big of a deal if he does. We can shrug and move on but its not right according to Islam. Can YOU respect that?

In Islamic belief, the kaaba was a monotheist site taken over by Pagans. Islam is against Paganism. So is Christianity.

Thats why i said people shouldnt freak out about it (showing tolerance). But in my view and the view of Muslims he should not do that. Its not that big of a deal if he does. We can shrug and move on but its not right according to Islam. Can YOU respect that?

It was originally a Pagan site, where Pagans worshiped the black stone. Muhammed just co-opted Pagan custom, just like he co-opted Judaism and Christianity. So if Muhammed can co-opt Pagan customs, why shouldn't the average Muslim enjoy Pagan customs. Islamic societies in many parts of the world retain aspects of pre-Islamic culture. One of the criticisms recently leveled against Wahhabism's spread in South East Asia is that it is trying to destroy the region's unique form of Islam.

You are asking me to respect Muslims' right to disrespect??

No man. People tribalize. Religion was invented to make the tribe larger, and to teach those within it that killing and greed is wrong. It got us further away from our animal instincs. That's why some incredibly wise people invented it. Small groups roaming around with no positive direction other than "I can have whatever I can take by force" is what religion stopped in the first place.

Brain-science shows faith and prayer puts people's thinking into their pre-frontal cortex, and makes them more empathetic and increases their organization.

Not sure if serious

I bet none of these Muslim partisans even know Christmas is adapted from a pagan celebration. Usual bitching in ignorance.

In the eyes of some Muslims, aren't pagans even lower than adherents to other religions?

Honestly I'm just so tired of "____ attacked online" or "______ outraged!" when we're talking about idiots commenting on social media shit, I don't give a shit about this story at all.

No one was "attacked". Dumb shit in the comments section and tweets aren't "outrage". This framing of online comments as large, real world group reactions to shit that barely amounts to a fart in reality is making me feel like a bitter old man. But seriously, get off my lawn with this shit already. All comment sections everywhere have crazy assholes threatening to kill people or saying nasty shit. They should never be news stories just because hot topics involving religion and politics are involved.

So if someone on this site threatened to kill you and your family, you wouldn't care?

The only thing Khan should be made fun of for is his KO face when he gets knocked out... but I feel bad doing that as he's probably got CTE.

Fuck that, he should be putting up that tree with a smile on his face too while he strokes it gently.

It was originally a Pagan site, where Pagans worshiped the black stone. Muhammed just co-opted Pagan custom, just like he co-opted Judaism and Christianity. So if Muhammed can co-opt Pagan customs, why shouldn't the average Muslim enjoy Pagan customs. Islamic societies in many parts of the world retain aspects of pre-Islamic culture. One of the criticisms recently leveled against Wahhabism's spread in South East Asia is that it is trying to destroy the region's unique form of Islam.

You are asking me to respect Muslims' right to disrespect??

i'm not here to argue about the validity of the belief since we could go on and on for pages about whether or not its true. I am telling you what the beliefs are. I am telling you that the Islamic religion (whether or not you believe in the religion) is against Paganism.

you're a special snowflake if Muslims saying we shouldn't have Christmas trees is disrespect.

Anyone and everyone gets harassment and death threats online these days. But when the threats are coming from crazy ass Muslims, you may want to take them a bit more seriously than if it were from a "gamergater" or whatever.

Back