Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

It's not how I interpeted them, it's what they said.

"Black Panther is the first shot at taking that concept mainstream and making black audiences feel like they can see themselves in a comic book film."

Why can't a black kid see himself as spiderman or captain america? As a child I wanted to be a ninja turtle and they are fucking turtles. Maybe people should stop seeing themselves as "black americans" and see themselves as Americans.
Captain American is black now

If you actually read the articles and that was how you interpreted them, there's no helping you I'm afraid.

look I realized you just googled black panther articles, but most of the directly contridict what you are trying to say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/...r-is-a-defining-moment-for-black-america.html

This literally says "is a way of unending the system 'because it jumps past the victory. Afrofuturism is like 'We already won''

I quote more for context, but NYT doesn't let you copy their text. It's saying afrofuturism is WHERE BLACK PEOPLE "WIN"

look I realized you just googled black panther articles, but most of the directly contridict what you are trying to say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/...r-is-a-defining-moment-for-black-america.html

This literally says "is a way of unending the system 'because it jumps past the victory. Afrofuturism is like 'We already won''

I quote more for context, but NYT doesn't let you copy their text. It's saying afrofuturism is WHERE BLACK PEOPLE "WIN"

...and? How is that supposed to contradict what I've said? They beat the system. It's their aspirations. That doesn't mean they rule the world.
I've read plenty of Samuel R Delany and Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor and Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds (Afrofuturism written by a white guy!) and The Fifth Season by N K Jemisin, and that doesn't describe any of them.

Nothing wrong with this. Calm down everyone. Let people be happy about things. Jokes are good but no need to take it so seriously.

Buddy Love was a super hero dammit!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nothing wrong with this. Calm down everyone. Let people be happy about things. Jokes are good but no need to take it so seriously.

Buddy Love was a super hero dammit!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Also....

Fucking bring back Blade Marvel.

I don't know about Black Pride.

But damn all those white people at Disney, Marvel, are loving those Box Office numbers.

This. Anyone who actually thinks Marvel/Disney give one tenth of a fuck about the representation of Africa and African Americans in popular culture is fucking retarded. Marvel were always planning to make BP, but when they saw Wonder Woman making huge bank, they knew they could grab themselves a huge chunk of that sweet, muh Oppression! money. They also knew that unless they delivered a cluster-fuck of DC proportions, the movie would be effectively critic-proof. Hence the massive ad campaign, emphasising how this is the "first" Black Superhero Movie...

Blade? Who dat?;)

Disney and the MCU could not lose with this movie. Black people wanted to see it because it portrayed Africa in a positive light. Liberal whites wanted to see it to prove they aren't racist. And Nerds like me, who don't give a shit about the politics, want to see Black Panther push fool's shit in while wearing the second coolest costume in the MCU:cool:

This. Anyone who actually thinks Marvel/Disney give one tenth of a fuck about the representation of Africa and African Americans in popular culture is fucking retarded. Marvel were always planning to make BP, but when they saw Wonder Woman making huge bank, they knew they could grab themselves a huge chunk of that sweet, muh Oppression! money. They also knew that unless they delivered a cluster-fuck of DC proportions, the movie would be effectively critic-proof. Hence the massive ad campaign, emphasising how this is the "first" Black Superhero Movie...

Blade? Who dat?;)

Disney and the MCU could not lose with this movie. Black people wanted to see it because it portrayed Africa in a positive light. Liberal whites wanted to see it to prove they aren't racist. And Nerds like me, who don't give a shit about the politics, want to see Black Panther push fool's shit in while wearing the second coolest costume in the MCU:cool:
Who has the best costume?

Do some of you think that Black people who are enthusiastic about an afrocentric superhero movie are like...being duped out of their money, or something?

Some people are paying to be entertained by something that they feel positively portrays some aspect - futurized, or idealized, or fanticized - of them. Like, holy shit. How black can a movie be before it starts needing your permission to exist?

Do some of you think that Black people who are enthusiastic about an afrocentric superhero movie are like...being duped out of their money, or something?

Some people are paying to be entertained by something that they feel positively portrays some aspect - futurized, or idealized, or fanticized - of them. Like, holy shit. How black can a movie be before it starts needing your permission to exist?

how hockey can a movie be before it's shit

Michael Jai White would be a really great blade.

I have to admit I really love actors doing stunt work and real martial arts choreography much more than uncanny valley "Superhero" fighting.

Personally, I don't give a fuck. I'll watch the movie to be entertained, and ignore the politics. If others want to take something positive from the political and cultural points the movie explores, good luck to them.

Michael Jai White would be a really great blade.

I have to admit I really love actors doing stunt work and real martial arts choreography much more than uncanny valley "Superhero" fighting.

He's almost as old as Snipes, bro.

Would totally be down for them to do a remake with a younger guy, though.

Back