Rickson Gracie: Modern BJJ Black Belts Remind Me of Karate Practitioners Clueless of Jiu-Jitsu

Rickson is not like the rest of the gracies

You are right he is even more delusional. He has to be the only gracie member who has had his own father remark on how lost up his own ass he is.

you did not read it fine at all as you completely missed the point

that is not what he said

No you are missing the point.Rickson in a round about way is shitting On modern because it lacks the fighting spirit"

Anyone who has spent time in Gjj knows how silly their standing joint locks and knife defense etc etc. There is a reason why modern Bjj dropped that nonsense.

Bas definitely called Rickson out when he was 40. I don’t recall a time before that.
Ruas and Rickson are the same age and Bas is only slightly younger, and Rickson turned them down for a decade.

No hes not

hes sour that others took BJJ and evolved it by incorporating other grappling arts and methods that have filled in some of the glaring gaps in GJJ.

Sure in sports jiu jitsu. In MMA, traditional Gracie Jiu Jitsu + good wrestling takes you very far

BJJ is dead in mma imo.. i mean not dead but its not the dominate force it use to be.. only very few BBJ guys dominate and sub the majority of their opponents. its now mostly just used defensively and for positioning. MMA is kinda at the point that if you don thave your basic BBJ.. you'll get destroyed.. but if you have it you're good.
wrestling has remained more important.. the ability to keep yourself standing.. take the fight down if you choose and get yourself on your feet if a BJJ or another wrestler takes you down is like mastering your jab in mma.
BJJ is not dead in MMA in fact it's exactly the opposite of that, most mma fighters trains BJJ extensively.

Guys like Woodley and Mcgregor are brown belts in BJJ

It's just that you don't see one dimensional BJJ only guy like Maia doing well.

Bas definitely called Rickson out when he was 40. I don’t recall a time before that.
Rickson fought Funaki in 2000 when he was 40 years old. Bas was challenging Rickson while in Pancrase in 95'. I'm not saying Bas DIDNT challenge Rickson when he was 40 too, but he had been calling him out way before Rickson fought Funaki.

If you had any MMA favorites back in the day like Fedor, Nog, Wand, etc Rickson has shit all over them and their careers.
Guy is a prick.

I like all those guys, Fedors my favorite MMA fighter of all time.

It's not cool if he shit all over those guys. I'd have to go back and look at the context.

But mostly when i've seen him he's been very respectful to people. People who knew him back in the day have nothing but good things to say, he was truly dedicated to his art and took it to another level. So i still hold him in very high regard.

I feel like maybe his competitiveness got the best of him sometimes when he commented on other fighters. That's a trait common in a lot of high achievers.

seeing how ppl buy their black belts nowadays I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying of course the shit is going to get watered down when you have black belts handing them out like candy. Fucking Roan Carneiro got triangled by a purple belt in Kevin Burns how the fuck is he a black belt.
Well, there is a lot more going on in an MMA fight that leads to someone being submited. I don't remember this fight, to be honest, but Carneiro is a long time Black Belt and instructor, it's unlikely that in pure bjj he'd lose to a purple belt.

Ruas and Rickson are the same age and Bas is only slightly younger, and Rickson turned them down for a decade.

Rickson was “active” in Japan from 1994-2000 for a total of 9 fights in 5 nights, hardly a decade when it comes to Bas and hardly “active” overall as a fighter. Dude turned 40 in 1998. Idk, maybe someone wouldn’t be as eager to take fights at the tail end of their career.

Rickson fought Funaki in 2000 when he was 40 years old. Bas was challenging Rickson while in Pancrase in 95'. I'm not saying Bas DIDNT challenge Rickson when he was 40 too, but he had been calling him out way before Rickson fought Funaki.

Any way you want to slice it, Rickson was at the tail end of his career as a fighter. In 1995, Bas was still getting submitted by Ken Shamrock. Now, based off Shamrock’s performances against Royce, do you really think Rickson was “ducking” someone who was taking multiple submission L’s from Shamrock?

Any way you want to slice it, Rickson was at the tail end of his career as a fighter. In 1995, Bas was still getting submitted by Ken Shamrock. Now, based off Shamrock’s performances against Royce, do you really think Rickson was “ducking” someone who was taking multiple submission L’s from Shamrock?
Why did Rickson pick Funaki and not Ruas or Bas to fight in 2000? Rickson tried to avoid fighting "complete fighters" his entire life. Look at his record and even his "challenge matches" videos. (Wrestlers, judokas, kung-fu, street fighters) ETC. Rickson preferred style vs style fights; not well rounded opponents. Hell, Rickson even had to "cheat" and throw Yuki Nakai over the ropes to stop from being submitted. Someone he outweighed by 30-40 pounds.

Last edited:
Even Wand stated about Rickson "Rickson is living in a fantasy world, like Star Wars."

Ironically, Wand is now the king of living in a fantasy world.

Why did Rickson pick Funaki and not Ruas or Bas to fight in 2000? Rickson tried to avoid fighting "complete fighters" his entire life. Look at his record and even his "challenge matches" videos. (Wrestlers, judokas, kung-fu, street fighters) ETC. Rickson preferred style vs style fights.

His entire “life”? We didn’t know who Rickson was until dude was in his mid to late 30’s. What in the world do you know about his entire life? Rickson against Bas in the mid 90’s was a favorable fight for him. Everyone wanted a piece of Rickson back then. Maybe Bas was just another guy out of all the people calling him out.

His entire “life”? We didn’t know who Rickson was until dude was in his mid to late 30’s. What in the world do you know about his entire life? Rickson against Bas in the mid 90’s was a favorable fight for him. Everyone wanted a piece of Rickson back then. Maybe Bas was just another guy out of all the people calling him out.
Don't try that. You know what I mean. "Rickson's entire (fighting) career"

Actually, your comparison is terrible.
In and Out makes a tasty burger, and no McD’s rep would ever claim that theirs is better.
Maybe you haven’t been to In and Out.

Maybe your reading comprehension skills are terrible. Unless sarcasm, then <3

He fought 3 times after 1995. What about that doesn’t tell you he was done competing?
2 things. First, his mouth. Saying how he'd still beat the best MMA fighters in 2008. Second, (what I've already stated) He preferred style vs style fights and not fighting "top competition". Plus, Rickson was also asking for astronomical amounts of money to fight. (Millions)

Rickson's still delusional thinking that BJJ is the be-all-end-all martial art. Why did you avoid Marco Ruas and Bas like the plague, Rickson?

(I would also bring up Saku but Rickson's son died at that time so he gets a pass on that one)

King of the streets by murder.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Some of these new practioners have expanded the game beyond the Gracie families wildest imagination. They have been fading into obscurity for years now. I’ve got a feeling as well that at some of these seminars there is a lot of dick sucking and politeness because they don’t want to upset the guest. Nobody wants to be that guy at the seminar that says “seen it” or “we already know that”.
Ya man I feel you or be the guy who subs the guest with a catch wrestling or new age 10th planet type set up. It would make people ask why the hell did I just pay for this clowns seminar?

I used to roll and spar with a very legit high level BB friend of mine. On the ground at first he owned me. Then I started to wrestled for dominant position instead of look for the sub.
It really equeled out the playing field and I have no belt in jits.

Also without striking he couldn't take me down because I have a good sprawl/ weighed 15 pounds more and was stronger.

The games has evolved past Gracie BJJ. They should still get respect In the jits world but it seems like they are extremely salty when it comes to MMA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back