Elizabeth Swaney Average American Skier Who Competed in Olympics

She traveled around the world competing in order to get enough points to qualify while better athletes were unwilling to sacrifice the time to travel in order to go to those tournaments. She put in the effort and made it. That is not a loophole that is playing by the rules.
Maybe the other athletes weren't aware you could game the system like this. Maybe they didn't want to game the system like this.

She competed in the Olympics, but isn't a true Olympian.

I dig her determination.

Stay hustlin'.

Maybe the other athletes weren't aware you could game the system like this. Maybe they didn't want to game the system like this.

She competed in the Olympics, but isn't a true Olympian.

This sport is a giant game and that includes the process by which one gets to the Olympics. If other competitors were not as proficient at maneuvering the larger game then they are by definition not as skilled of competitors as she is.

How is she not a true Olympian? Did she cheat? Did she take PEDs? No she just worked really hard within the context of the rules over the course of several years in a novel manner.

This sport is a giant game and that includes the process by which one gets to the Olympics. If other competitors were not as proficient at maneuvering the larger game then they are by definition not as skilled of competitors as she is.

How is she not a true Olympian? Did she cheat? Did she take PEDs? No she just worked really hard within the context of the rules over the course of several years in a novel manner.

Why would you categorize the non athletic selection process as a game? Isn't it supposed to be only about who is the most skilled on the athletic front, not who is also the most skilled at scheming and networking.

The other comps are skilled at the game, where it counts and matters. We the spectators only watch the athletic part of the game, we don't care about who slept their way to the top or schemed the best.

So are you ok with those Olympians who used banned performance enhancing drugs using a legal loophole to win medals? I am alluding to how Olympians from certain countries (Norway and UK) got doctors to claim they are asthmatic, allowing them to take steroids and other drugs prescribed for asthmatics, which conveniently also enhances performance. The Russians got banned for doping, only because they didn't know how to game the system.

if anything it just shows how laughable women's athletics are in general, when a rando off the street can qualify for the Olympics

have no issue with it whatsoever tho

So I personally find her story inspiring. She is the 33 year old American who competed for Hungary in half pipe skiing. She managed to get into the Olympic because she traveled around the world finding weak comps so she could place in them and got to the Olympics

I am a little biased because I have been training and competing in jiu jitsu for a very long time. And while I am very good at jiu jitsu. I am never going to be a top level guy. However, if there was some way to game the system say by competing at a bunch of local tournaments in order to get to ADCC I'd do it even knowing I would get smashed.

I think there is something very American about going for your dreams but

well I applaud this girl for going for going for her dreams her entire life. What say you? Fan, don't care or do you think she made a mockery of the Olympics.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetor...r-managed-to-scheme-her-way-into-the-olympics
I think its great, and anyone being offended by it is pretty silly.

Reminds me s bit of Eddie the Eagle(British ski jumper in Calgary 1988)

Of course, ski jumping is much more dangerous and Eddie the Eagle was fucking badass, but a similar story.

They actually made a pretty good movie about his story.

It's called...

Eddie the Eagle.

Well... I guess she did have to put a lot of work.

Lol. Hilarious. Hungary needs to stick to summer games.

Lame really. You didn't earn the right to call yourself an Olympian, to march with the other athletes, you exploited a loophole and basically bought the spot. It's not cute or endearing - it's scummy and "privileged". She should get booed by the spectators and ostracized by the real athletes.
Didn't earn the right? She earned the points required by the OIC. If that's not earning the right...

She traveled around the world competing in order to get enough points to qualify while better athletes were unwilling to sacrifice the time to travel in order to go to those tournaments. She put in the effort and made it. That is not a loophole that is playing by the rules.

Actually she made a conceited effort to go to the small tournaments that were being held close to or on the date of the big tournaments knowing the best wouldn't be competing.

The only thing she did that the better athletes didn't was avoid competition.

In other words your post is bullshit.

Didn't earn the right? She earned the points required by the OIC. If that's not earning the right...

Technically. But it was because there weren't other athletes at the events she attended even though she finished last in almost all of them. I mean obviously it was smart but against the spirit of the games.

I'm genuinely interested in the psychology behind it. Why the hell would you spend so much money jumping through all these hoops just to say "i'm was an Olympian" even though everyone at this point will know what that actually means for her.

Technically. But it was because there weren't other athletes at the events she attended even though she finished last in almost all of them. I mean obviously it was smart but against the spirit of the games.

I'm genuinely interested in the psychology behind it. Why the hell would you spend so much money jumping through all these hoops just to say "i'm was an Olympian" even though everyone at this point will know what that actually means for her.
Still an Olympian whether famous or infamous.

I guess, if you're someone craving attention she definitely got her 15 minutes of fame.
If you believe recorded history only lasts 15 minutes.

Not all recorded history is created equally. Especially when it comes to the olympics.
True. However, her uniqueness sure stands out.

Nice rack

7aac2d0f2912b6fc44c602d00dfb7916

20479229_110015726328417_8053067188988280832_n.jpg

No, they’re not.

Most athletes are spoiled little shits who are coddled by their colleges with free shit and sponsorships from discovery to stardom. That’s why they’re largely, unpleasant and ungrounded people.

And ther aren’t many poor people who can practice fucking skiing in their backyard without already being quite wealthy. You don’t just shovel some snow from your ass and go to work practicing on skis like you could on a running track or basketball court.

Downhill skiing is in another class as far as Olympics and training goes. One of the reasons Scandinavian countries do so well is they have the history, heroes and coaching being part of their tradition. The elitism and hero worship amongst top competitors is off the charts compared to most other sports. It can be said along with big wave riders "they walked the earth as gods."

A buddy that I grew up skiing with in the Reno/Tahoe area made the US Ski Team when he was 17. When he was 19 he had a horrible wipeout ragdolling 96mph across the snow on the Kitzbuhel while preparing for the Olympics. Destroyed his knee and put him in a coma. He eventually recovered and continued to be competitive but it set him back big time of course. Now he's dealing with CTE, sadly it's a turning into not such a great story.
Ended up choosing to stay in Alaska away from that world because the adrenaline rush along with the beautiful rich girls could turn into a real head trip. Stirs up a lot of conflicting memories watching the Olympics.

So I personally find her story inspiring. She is the 33 year old American who competed for Hungary in half pipe skiing. She managed to get into the Olympic because she traveled around the world finding weak comps so she could place in them and got to the Olympics

she did more than just find weak competition, she found events with under 30 competitors and did zero tricks, only goal was to not fall. doing just this, she earned enough points to be in the top 30 and qualify for the olympics. she's a genius, it's fucking hilarious and shows how weak the competition is in some of these sports.

Back