War Room Civilization game?

@Quipling @Fawlty @DynamicLoosener @PrinceOfPain @IGIT @Lead

Tagging the Civ 5 bros to let you know that Civ 6 is on sale for $24 (down from 60) on Steam this weekend. Now's your chance to grab it if you were interested

If you do grab it, add me 1amoreland there. Send a Sherbro PM when you do. Still a little weirded out at getting a friend request from Gollum raping a woman...

hi HockeyBjj,

if you're up on this kind of stuff, i was wondering, have you heard any good things about Civ on an ipad?

i just bought an Ipad pro2 and saw there was an App for Civilization. thought i'd check it out.

- IGIT

@HockeyBjj You've got another friend request coming from ButtholeInAction.

hi HockeyBjj,

if you're up on this kind of stuff, i was wondering, have you heard any good things about Civ on an ipad?

i just bought an Ipad pro2 and saw there was an App for Civilization. thought i'd check it out.

- IGIT

It's okay imo, but really shallow. I'm not sure why, either. I think there's a perception amongst developers that mobile games need to be simple. But Civilization really doesn't target that demographic, and a game like Civ 5 could easily be controlled by a touch screen. The biggest hurdle to overcome is stuffing all of the relevant infomation into the UI and keeping it readable.

OOTP Baseball manages it, though but the UI in that game isn't really anything to write home about.

We should get a game of Hearts of Iron 4 w/ the Modern Day mod going too. We could even trigger a civil war between Bernie and Trump supporters.

This is really what the War Room needs.

DEC6F7676794B982AE4E9FD12CA8A4B364A2D2E7

9A7C836BC218978534D1001B6904DF8D0C39B92F

lol at the Trump uniform though. Definitely a lot of neckbeards in the HOI community

It's okay imo, but really shallow. I'm not sure why, either. I think there's a perception amongst developers that mobile games need to be simple. But Civilization really doesn't target that demographic, and a game like Civ 5 could easily be controlled by a touch screen. The biggest hurdle to overcome is stuffing all of the relevant infomation into the UI and keeping it readable.

OOTP Baseball manages it, though but the UI in that game isn't really anything to write home about.

hi Shoemaker,

the ipad i purchased is immense. the screen is like 13 inches or something close to it, so it can handle a complex UI.

if they simplified Civ for the ipad, i probably would pass. i love all the moving parts to the game and the slowness of it, you know?

if they've reduced chess to checkers, then they're missing their target audience i think.

thanks for the info!

- IGIT

hi Shoemaker,

the ipad i purchased is immense. the screen is like 13 inches or something close to it, so it can handle a complex UI.

if they simplified Civ for the ipad, i probably would pass. i love all the moving parts to the game and the slowness of it, you know?

if they've reduced chess to checkers, then they're missing their target audience i think.

thanks for the info!

- IGIT

That's how it felt to me. Similar to Sid Meiers Starships. Each campaign is going to take you about an hour, maybe two if you aren't paying attention.

That's how it felt to me. Similar to Sid Meiers Starships. Each campaign is going to take you about an hour, maybe two if you aren't paying attention.

hi Shoemaker once more,

if Civ doesn't make me stay up to 4:00 am and miss work the next morning, it's not Civ (to me).

lol, i like the fact that the game takes forever.

i can remember rushing home from a party or some social event i had to attend, thinking, "when i get home, i am going to fucking WASTE mongolia now that i've teched up. i am going to LEVEL their cities and punish Khan for harassing me the last 500 years".

i don't play much anymore, but i used to be very into the game.

- IGIT

hi HockeyBjj,

- IGIT

I don’t have an iPad, but I played a $5 Civ on iPhone. It was pretty fun but got repetitive and easy to beat quick. I’d hope the IPad was much more encompassing than iPhone version

I don’t have an iPad, but I played a $5 Civ on iPhone. It was pretty fun but got repetitive and easy to beat quick. I’d hope the IPad was much more encompassing than iPhone version

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they're the same game. If not, the iPad version can't get much deeper.

can my computer run this?

hi DynamicLoosener,

i think so.

if not, you can always pick up a copy of Civ5 if your processor can't handle it.

all the Civ games are really deep. the global strategies you can pursue are endless. at its highest level, i've found the game almost unbeatable.

- IGIT

can my computer run this?

I’m running Civ 6 with 0 issues on a pretty basic laptop with an i5 processor, 8gb Ram, and no graphics card

Could probably get away with an i3 if slight amounts of lag and glitches (turn based not live so just wait 5 seconds) didn’t frustrate you too much

Definitey not a game you need a nice self buil rig for, and still looks pretty in its own way

Oh goody, five tiles of river truffles. So legendary.

My playthroigh right now, starting location wasn’t that great but once I researched mining 4! Iron resources were within my 2cities borders

Stoked I get to play this as a fucking warlord with Russia and take over all my neighbors. I’ve already overtaken Paris in like 2000 BC

I tried playing the game like a liberal would.
Didint put up city walls, barbarians took over.

hi DynamicLoosener,

i think so.

if not, you can always pick up a copy of Civ5 if your processor can't handle it.

all the Civ games are really deep. the global strategies you can pursue are endless. at its highest level, i've found the game almost unbeatable.

- IGIT
Been playing since first Civ. I give it a run on Deity but the only way to stand a chance is by a ruleset of distancing yourself. Archipalego ruleset where you can stay away from war for a bit and build up. Even then you may get crushed in culture as the AI has an unfair advantage.

My playthroigh right now, starting location wasn’t that great but once I researched mining 4! Iron resources were within my 2cities borders

Stoked I get to play this as a fucking warlord with Russia and take over all my neighbors. I’ve already overtaken Paris in like 2000 BC
6 or 5?

Nice, especially w/Russia. Mass swordsmen? Combat is way deeper than I initially gave it credit for. The tiniest little mistakes can cause huge swings in a war.

Been trying to get my science victory time down. Haven't been able to get below turn 270 yet.

Last edited:
Been playing since first Civ. I give it a run on Deity but the only way to stand a chance is by a ruleset of distancing yourself. Archipalego ruleset where you can stay away from war for a bit and build up. Even then you may get crushed in culture as the AI has an unfair advantage.
It's a bitch but doable on Pangea. Sometimes you just get rolled (bad start, or spawning anywhere near Shaka) and there's not a thing you can do. But usually you can get up a few composite bows for safety and sniff out armies with your scouts. Paying off the AI to attack each other is almost mandatory. They'll often do it for like 10 gold per turn on standard- sometimes they'll just stay at war the entire game.

Good luck mate. I'll be the Turks. Don't worry, we'll appropriate your cuisine and your beautiful women :)

Just for clarification, I don't have the game. Just wanted to poke at Kafir-kun.
When it comes to actual history I prefer the Ottomans but in the game they suck. The Arabs have a unique unit, Camel Archer, which might be the best single unit in the game in terms of its efficacy relative to other units of its era. The Janissary and Sipahi are garbage unfortunately.

Back