Mike tyson shadowboxing (Age 15)

Everytime i read something like this it makes me laugh, guys who train wrestling defense still get planted on their backs. Six months of grappling isn't going to stop it.

I know. It's ridiculous. All these newbs think you can pick up wrestling defense at the local grocery store for a buck ninety-nine.

Shoo away, boxingboy. Yes a 13 year old real fighter would beat Tyson who was just a puncher.
Just a puncher? Wtf are you talking about? He was extremely technical before he left Rooney. And no 13 year old is beating Tyson, he would have had a great chance of ko'ing Royce at ufc 1 if all he knew was to avoid getting taken down. Royce wasn't even the second-best grappler and his family, Waleed Ismael easily tapped him.

Tyson would have been the highest level “martial artist” in the tournament besides Royce and you could easily argue much more accomplished in his art then Royce.

The first half of this sentence you write is not true, and the second half is immaterial since boxing talent minus all other MMA talents would be next-to-useless to determining the result of a MMA contest.

Tyson was a great boxer. He didn't know the first thing about MMA or grappling. Any decent large grappler from back then - Severn, Shamrock, etc. - gets Tyson on his back and beats the holy hell out of him.

It is though. I went full "mixed martial autist" and played the original video next to the gif and in the gif version Mike completes the 180 ° turn faster. It might have not been speeden up as much as I originally thought, but it still is.

Not only that, but things looked way faster on older cameras that had fewer frames per second. Your mind fills in the blanks subconsciously, while also simultaneously predicting the next frame, and even a tiny FPS difference can make things look way faster than they are. In the early 80s, a camcorder like the one we see filming this shadowboxing was at the absolute most running at 30 FPS interlaced, which would translate to the viewer seeing about 15 FPS. The footage is awful, obviously not a top of the line camcorder, and you can see it was interlaced by the visual distortions, so it was probably an even lower framerate.

Now imagine you have 3 frames; one frame shows the punch chambered, the next frame is the middle of the punch, and then the third frame is the punch fully extended; played back to back, your brain autofills the blanks and thus the punch appears to accelerate at ridiculous speeds, but if the camera was running at 1 FPS that would in actuality be an insanely slow punch, 3 seconds from start to finish. Even though the footage is running in real time in the Tyson clip, your brain is still trying to fill in the space between frames as if you placed them back to back, and as the punch extends it's also trying to predict the acceleration, which is then translated in your brain as being much faster than it really is. It's why Bruce Lee had to slow down his strikes for the old 60s cameras in his movies, or else the movements would look choppy and unnatural.

Here's a video showing a good example of it, the difference between 24 and 60 FPS. The bottom one looks like it's moving much faster because of your brain's interpretation. You'll notice that if you look at both at the same time, the bottom appears to decelerate, letting the top one "catch up" and then accelerate multiple times, because your brain is comparing it to the top one and trying to rectify the illusion, but if you only look at the bottom one you won't see that deceleration effect.

insecure mma fans in ...
ru2NBs.gif

The first half of this sentence you write is not true, and the second half is immaterial since boxing talent minus all other MMA talents would be next-to-useless to determining the result of a MMA contest.

Tyson was a great boxer. He didn't know the first thing about MMA or grappling. Any decent large grappler from back then - Severn, Shamrock, etc. - gets Tyson on his back and beats the holy hell out of him.

At least make an argument instead of just disagreeing like you know things for a fact.

I don’t even understand what you’re tryjng to say. Boxing would be useless in an MMA match?

Who was a more accomplished in their combat career at that tournament than Mike Tyson? Gerard Gordeau? Shamrock? Royce?

None of them had significant competitive records or accomplishments close to Tyson’s.

Tyson was at the the time and is still the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing history. Boxing was actually an established sport with hundreds of years of competition and top notch athletes.

I wasn’t talking about Severn. I was talking about Tyson vs Royce. Either way Tyson has a shot against beating any human being who every lived in a fight. Even someone as “prestiges” as Dan fucking Severn.

Are you referring to post-prison? I’m a huge boxing fan and prettty knowledgeable of it, and haven’t heard many boxing analysts and historians talk about a prime young Tyson’s “flaws”.
He never fight any great fighters before prison and he was a flawed fighter. Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield and Foreman are all guys that fought in his own era that have it would have knocked him out.

At least make an argument instead of just disagreeing like you know things for a fact.

It is a fact.

The skill of grappling by itself is far superior to the skill of striking by itself when matched against each other. All other things equal.

That's a fact.

Once the striker knows some grappling, then the question becomes far more interesting and complex. But a striker without grappling is simply out of his element in a MMA contest. You might as well put a gymnast in there.

If you are at MMA forum and don't understand that fact, then review the history of MMA.

I don’t even understand what you’re tryjng to say. Boxing would be useless in an MMA match?

The words I used were "next-to-useless." And, yes, that's a fact. Boxing by itself in MMA is simply not useful. Again, review the history of MMA if you have any doubt of that.

Who was a more accomplished in their combat career at that tournament than Mike Tyson? Gerard Gordeau? Shamrock? Royce?

Your point is irrelevant. Tyson's fame and renown as a boxer were not going to help him win a single MMA contest. Like I said, it's immaterial.

Tyson was at the the time and is still the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing history. Boxing was actually an established sport with hundreds of years of competition and top notch athletes.

Who cares?

The experiment has been run and done a thousand times. Boxers can't compete in MMA.

You're like a nerd arguing that because astrology has millennia of history that often led to interesting astronomical insights that it therefore has scientific merit.

I wasn’t talking about Severn. I was talking about Tyson vs Royce. Either way Tyson has a shot against beating any human being who every lived in a fight. Even someone as “prestiges” as Dan fucking Severn.

Severn takes the fight ten out of ten times. Tyson might win the eleventh fight only because Severn was bored.

Why is saying the truth a disservice?

I just think that a prime Tyson would bring more to the table with his style and reputation than most guys in the standard "boxer vs. mma figher' analysis.

the psychological component alone...seeing Tyson across from you would be different than seeing old James Toney or Ray Mercer lol

Does anyone here just randomly visit boxing forums to post gifs of Jacare submitting guys just to be like "oh man, your shitty boxers would get wrecked if they ever stepped in a cage with this guy!"?

It's weird.... like a desperate overcompensation or something, I don't get it

Yes.

I just think that a prime Tyson would bring more to the table with his style and reputation than most guys in the standard "boxer vs. mma figher' analysis.

the psychological component alone...seeing Tyson across from you would be different than seeing old James Toney or Ray Mercer lol

That's you stressing an element which won't make a damn bit of difference in a MMA fight.

Frankly, any mediocre professional boxer who was a so-so wrestler in high school had a better chance of beating Royce in 1993 than Tyson would've had. And even that chance was still mighty slim.

Boxers train to fight other boxers, not guys coming in at their knees. Tyson was the best boxer of his era, but that would've not availed him in a MMA fight. You can talk all you like about how Tyson's quick reflexes would've laid out Royce before he even knew he was in a fight, but Tyson didn't train to knock guys out in the strange positions Royce would've shown the boxer.

The same people that tout MGregors lucky ass one punch KO of Aldo, that didn’t warrant a rematch apparently, tell us that infinitely more dangerous Tyson would lose to Royce Gracie. Stop.

Probably LHW Spinks, old man Holmes and Tucker. Not bad, but not great considering the average person thinks he is as good as Ali, and MMA fans worship him. Tyson had a shitload of potential, but he was incredibly weak mentally. He is not on any credible list as top 10 HWs ever

Its also a verified fact he was ducking and afraid of george foreman.

Except for Mike himself admits he would not have been able to beat a good grappler.

Mike plays himself down all the time. Almost as bad as people who say "even Ali admitted Tyson would beat him", when Tyson said the same thing about Ali.

Tyson would KO any UFC heavyweight in history. He would certainly be the betting favourite. You all know it deep down.

I can think of a certain movie star from the 1970s who would kill him in a fight.

Boxing/striking fanboys are like that, I've never anyone express the view that "grappling is real fighting, striking is not real fighting" unlike the opposite belief which is rampant.

You have got to be kidding me. "Boxing isn't real fighting" is a war cry that I read on here DAILY. MMA is never discussed on the boxing forums I go on unless it's in the MMA section for fans to discuss.

MMA fans are more obsessed with shitting on boxing than the other way round. Boxing fans don't care.

Back