Report: Montano vs Shevchenko title fight targeted for UFC 228 (Sep. 8)

Her last win against a non newcomer was well over a year ago.

Anyone else in the top 10, all who have decent wins in the division, instead of wins against debutants.

Still mining that salt? Also, class acts don’t moan and complain about losing decisions. They admit they could (and should) have done more to win.
You name me 1 fighter didnt moan about losing a split decision title fight

Also who do you think deserves the title shot instead of Val ?

Last edited:
Well, you don’t rank someone with no top wins in the division. That’s easy enough.
That's the thing, there are no "top wins" at WFLW division right now. The division is too young to rank them accurately.

Shevchenko is my favorite female fighter by far but to be honest I dont give a shit about montano or the 125 division, saw a bit of it all here and there, nothing seemed impressive to me, valentina is another beast altogether. I hope she wins the title and goes back to 135 to challenge nunes again if even possible. I know shevchenko is small but her technique is extremely impressive, I would love to see her fight cyborg one day and call me crazy, but i would pick shevchenko to win that fight

Anyone else in the top 10, all who have decent wins in the division, instead of wins against debutants.

Still mining that salt? Also, class acts don’t moan and complain about losing decisions. They admit they could (and should) have done more to win.

Not like our girl ;)

She wasn't ducking. That was a story pushed by the UFC and "fans". Montano was living in a basement a year ago with her boyfriend. She isn't ducking a near 6 figure pay day.
it wasnt pushed by the ufc. dana was very public about her foot injury and tonsil operation

it was Valentina and Ariel primarily...

I would love to see her fight cyborg one day and call me crazy, but i would pick shevchenko to win that fight

How the fuck would she beat cyborg? Her strikes arent even hard enough to knockout bantamweights

jesus, it took her two rounds to finish an amateur with only a years experience and a torn acl

And? This does not make her any less skilled. Or mean she does not have wins against the #5, #2 and #1 ranked opponents of a more established weight class. A class in which she fought at her walking around weight. It is actually possible to view a fighters performance in context, instead of from a filter of disdain caused by personal bias.

Going to complain about her proportions next? Oh, wait, you already did that too.

Cyborg's last quality win was, well, never, really, given that she has generally always had a size and strength advantage over most of her opponents. That being said, when the UFC decided to create the division - which I disagree with - she still should have been the one fighting for the belt, as she was the best option available. My personal dislike for her has nothing to do with it.

Shame you cannot get past that.

Shevchenko is my favorite female fighter by far but to be honest I dont give a shit about montano or the 125 division, saw a bit of it all here and there, nothing seemed impressive to me, valentina is another beast altogether. I hope she wins the title and goes back to 135 to challenge nunes again if even possible. I know shevchenko is small but her technique is extremely impressive, I would love to see her fight cyborg one day and call me crazy, but i would pick shevchenko to win that fight

I have no problem calling you absolutely insane. There are straw-weights who walk around weighing more than she does. Cyborg walks around 40+ lbs more than Val and will walk through everything she throws.

I would love to see her fight cyborg one day and call me crazy, but i would pick shevchenko to win that fight

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on Sherdog <45>

And people wonder why I think Valentina is overrated here

You could but Maia haven't proved anything in the UFC yet she's about to tho if she gets past Liz then she can get the next shot easy.

No, but she proved the shit out of herself in Invicta, including beating the #1 seed in TUF during one of several title defenses. No one has proved shit at 125 in the UFC, so that is a pointless argument.

I can't see how Montato can win this. Can't imagine what her camp is doing right now to keep morale high.

You name me 1 fighter didnt moan about losing a split decision title fight

Also who do you think deserves the title shot instead of Val ?
as said above, (now former) Invicta champ Jennifer Maia.She should beat Carmouche in their upcoming fight, and no reason she shouldn't be number one contender with a win. No reason she shouldn't be now, really, except she hasn't fought in the UFC yet. She's the top flyweight in every non UFC ranking.

No, but she proved the shit out of herself in Invicta, including beating the #1 seed in TUF during one of several title defenses. No one has proved shit at 125 in the UFC, so that is a pointless argument.
Ok fare enough Maia deserves the title shot on achievements alone. Too bad she's not getting it because she never campaign for it and accepted a ranking fight instead, she might've got it if she campaigned for it or at least get a #1 contender fight with Val. She made her choice.

Ok fare enough Maia deserves the title shot on achievements alone. Too bad she's not getting it because she never campaign for it and accepted a ranking fight instead, she might've got it if she campaigned for it or at least get a #1 contender fight with Val. She made her choice.

Shouldn't have to campaign for it. She's number one in the world.

Actually, she did campaign for it. Her last fight was billed as the real world championship.

Shouldn't have to campaign for it. She's number one in the world.

Actually, she did campaign for it. Her last fight was billed as the real world championship.
Well UFC didn't offer her the title fight for a reason, no one knows who she is. If she gets the title fight no one knows who either fighter is between her and Nicco they have 1 UFC fight how do you get people to care. No one seen Maia fight no one watches Invicta except hardcore WMMA fans. Maia did the right thing by taking a contender fight to get some exposure in the UFC. All the champions crossed over to UFC don't do well except for Cyborg so I wouldn't bet the house that she can beat Val.

By this logic Cyborg should not have been allowed to challenge for the title directly at FW. And I assume GSP fighting Bisping at MW must have given you a heart attack as a minimum.

You are choosing to focus on technicalities, mate. I see where you are coming from and I can agree to a point but that it is just not the way MMA booking works.

Back