Fighters who you like that aren't/weren't very good

Dern is actually good compared to most fighters in her division.

I like her, but I'm seriously worried about her fitness/work ethic. She looked so flabby in her last outing.

Some good ones so far.

I’d add heavy kickers like Rizzo, Hardonk, Barboza, etc...

I don't like him, but his name should be said here. Sean O'Malley.

Punk Minowa is a great name.

He had some pretty solid wins, but The Dean of Mean was a guy that overachieved and got pretty damn close to a title shot that I think he had a good shot at.

I remember being so pissed that they gave the title shot to Forrest when Keith had already knocked him out. Forrest was coming off of a good win against Shogun, but Shogun had just come off of a long rehab from an ACL tear and it was his 1st UFC fight. He won the 1st, but was gassed as fuck and got choked out.

Jardine was coming off a win over Chuck and I knew he wasn't good enough to keep winning against the top guys (got murked earlier against Houston Alexander). It was his best chance. The next fight, Wand murked him. Forrest got the shot and beat Page, a guy who never checked leg kicks, which was what Jardine was known for (although it's why Wand murked him).

He then beat Brandon Vera, then lost a close fight to former champ Page due to a late knockdown... Then it went completely off the rails.

The Page/Jardine fight was a weird one for me. I though Jardine would feed him a steady diet of leg kicks, but he hardly threw any.

so, half of posters misunderstood the point of this thread, posting champions and TOP 10 fighters and even calling other people idiots. what a surprise.

but also some good names mentioned here. I almost forgot about some of them. Would like to add Akihiro Gono here. Also Ryo Chonan - still the best submission of all time.

Also used to like Stephan Bonnar back in the days.
Gono... Chonan..

Hey...for real..U can be very good without being elite. The elite, for each div, is about 4-5 dudes, perhaps 7 when the div is stacked like the LW one.

Doesnt mean the top 5-10 guys arent very good.

I didn't say get a belt I said "get close to a belt" and like I said the 3 guys I nominated I'm a huge fan of, in fact those 3 and Sakuraba are probably my top 4 of all time in terms of entertainment but all of them would get beaten by contenders before getting anywhere near a belt.
"and Sakuraba...but all of them would get beaten by contenders before getting anywhere near a belt"

wtf.gif

Leben
Sicilia
Kingsbury
McKenzie

Lando Vannata when he came in as a late replacement vs Tony, fucked shit up and thought he was going to win.

Gono... Chonan..

Hey...for real..U can be very good without being elite. The elite, for each div, is about 4-5 dudes, perhaps 7 when the div is stacked like the LW one.

Doesnt mean the top 5-10 guys arent very good.
I guess I am missing your point here, buddy. so, do Gono and Piranha belong into this 'category' or not? I would say they do, since IIRC they were nowhere near any major title. I also think a long time top 10 guys and title chalengers also should not be mentioned here. the talent pool is not as shallow as some sherdogers claiming. but whatever, just a fun thread to me.

I guess I am missing your point here, buddy. so, do Gono and Piranha belong into this 'category' or not? I would say they do, since IIRC they were nowhere near any major title. I also think a long time top 10 guys and title chalengers also should not be mentioned here. the talent pool is not as shallow as some sherdogers claiming. but whatever, just a fun thread to me.
They were nowhere near since back in the days. smaller guys FW/LW had to fight @ openweight, against LHWs or even HWs.

On a sidenote, as I said, you can be very good without being elite of your div.

Last edited:
Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Dude had all the tools to be a megastar if he could just win a couple fights but a combination of a limited skill set+ some of the worst luck this side of Ian McCall spelled disaster.

They were nowhere near since back in the days. smaller guys FW/LW had to fight @ openweight, against LHW or even HWs.

On a sidenote, as I said, you can be very good without being elite of your div.
you did not answer my question, but whatever. Gono was a good fighter, I was a fan. And that Chonan leglock on Anderson will never be surpassed as the best sub of all time.

I enjoyed Cody McKenzie. Dude had such limited skills that his wins were awesome, and when he lost it looked awesome for opponent. Pride had fighters like this and I wish the UFC kept him. He could build up fighters and still have fans. They really dropped the ball by releasing him.

• Fan of Latifi, Maldonado, Corey Anderson, Gian Villante, Nikita Krylov, Abel Trujillo, Michael Johnson.

Back