Thoughts on Rickson's BJJ/Self Defense claims?

this is will piss off alot of delusional people but rickson is the bruce lee of mma to try to call him the best ever is a total joke. it is not disrespectful to say so it is just stating facts. let me ask you this i want you to watch 1 fights of his right here and explain to me how this is an example of a black belt even by todays standards? if youreven a 2 stripe bllue eblt u should be able to see exactly whats going on here.

hes fighting 2 japanese wrestlers with no striking wrestling or real submission wrestling granted rickson trained his whole entire life with his family and still takes him this long to get the fight down and eventually get the sub over 10 minutes later. sorry but my idea of the best bjj ever wouldnt have to take that long to submit some pro wrestlers from japan maia and any solid bb today should have submitted these guys within 45 seconds max

the only way rickson won this is due to the guy being extremely new to the sport and falling back for a foot lock

the second guy was literally school yard headlocking rickson standing up and he couldnt get him down and still took him 20 minutes lets be honestly if u think thats the best bjj fighter then bjj sucks if thats suppose to be our representative?

alot fo world champions out
There is value in a multiple world champion stating that something is trash. I had my first coach show back defenses that Roger Gracie asked if someone in a seminar was doing and told them to never use the again. Even on sherdog in threads about the most retarded and crap techniques there are tons of people claiming that they are great.
of respect will lie for guys like bruce lee tons of guys much much better than him would never admit the truth and would try to imply he could destroy them ect cause they felt it would be in bad taste to disrespect him due to having such a high legacy if you were a young top bjj guy would u wana risk your name career saying rickson isnt as amazing as people think on the mats? no caus u know it would be career suicide in a small community like bjj

im under the gracies as well im not trying to bad mouth him but it is so disrespectful to all the hard working guys who go out and put int he hours to become the true best and to try to pretend like he could still come out and school these guys and in his prime he could own any of them is a laughing joke

Let me be clear, Budo Jake did use one legit escape but Rickson stopped Jake. Was Rickson cheating as you’re asserting? In some ways, definitely. But it’s not about a single move. When a Rickson just countered it by not cooperating with Jake’s rote step by step technique, Rickson wanted to keep things realistic. Jake couldn’t get out of the mount escape which Rickson did explain the rules or scenario and Jake failed. I don’t think he would of made two videos where he looks bad by Rickson if he felt Rickson wasnots showing something useful to him and viewers. I guess we both have to email Jake.

Jake is in a tough spot, rickson resists jake throws him. Jake looks like an asshole. This is the Jedi mind trick we are talking about.

this is will piss off alot of delusional people but rickson is the bruce lee of mma to try to call him the best ever is a total joke. it is not disrespectful to say so it is just stating facts. let me ask you this i want you to watch 1 fights of his right here and explain to me how this is an example of a black belt even by todays standards? if youreven a 2 stripe bllue eblt u should be able to see exactly whats going on here.

hes fighting 2 japanese wrestlers with no striking wrestling or real submission wrestling granted rickson trained his whole entire life with his family and still takes him this long to get the fight down and eventually get the sub over 10 minutes later. sorry but my idea of the best bjj ever wouldnt have to take that long to submit some pro wrestlers from japan maia and any solid bb today should have submitted these guys within 45 seconds max

the only way rickson won this is due to the guy being extremely new to the sport and falling back for a foot lock

the second guy was literally school yard headlocking rickson standing up and he couldnt get him down and still took him 20 minutes lets be honestly if u think thats the best bjj fighter then bjj sucks if thats suppose to be our representative?

Jesús... Takada was a pretty respecter wresltler, some may say on funakis league... the dude was no push over, and Rickson was 39 years old, what exactly did you expect to see?

Jesús... Takada was a pretty respecter wresltler, some may say on funakis league... the dude was no push over, and Rickson was 39 years old, what exactly did you expect to see?

Takada had a 2-6-1 record in Pride and was 36 when he fought Rickson at the end of '98. Just the next year Sakuraba beat Royler and challenged Rickson. Rickson turned down the fight saying Sakurabi "had no aura" and instead fought Funaki. The other Gracie brothers stepped up and lost.
I vividly remember all this because I was a huge Gracie family fan back then. I was amazed after the early UFCs and thought Rickson must have been a superhero by how everyone talked about him.After Sakuraba beat Royler, all eyes were on Rickson and I couldn't wait to see the best fighter in the world fight. But when he refused the fight and fought Funaki instead, I was sick for damn near a week. If you go by what people SAY, Rickson was the greatest of all time. But if you go by actual accomplishments and results, he wasn't. He refused the challenging fights and never developed a top level competitor or fighter.

Last edited:
There is value in a multiple world champion stating that something is trash. I had my first coach show back defenses that Roger Gracie asked if someone in a seminar was doing and told them to never use the again. Even on sherdog in threads about the most retarded and crap techniques there are tons of people claiming that they are great.

What escape was this?

Jake is in a tough spot, rickson resists jake throws him. Jake looks like an asshole. This is the Jedi mind trick we are talking about.

Every time I’ve ever been used for a demo or even sparred with an instructor (particularly at their own school) I never, ever took openings that were available to me. I’ve even given up moves to not humiliate, embarrass or take away from any lesson the teacher wanted to highlight.

This is why I put little credence in academy rolls. Competition results are the only real indicator of effectivess unless ur rolling with a person who isn’t an instructor or ur not a visiting student being respectful.

Last edited:
Takada had a 2-6-1 record in Pride and was 36 when he fought Rickson at the end of '98. Just the next year Sakuraba beat Royler and challenged Rickson. Rickson turned down the fight saying Sakurabi "had no aura" and instead fought Funaki. The other Gracie brothers stepped up and lost.
I vividly remember all this because I was a huge Gracie family fan back then. I was amazed after the early UFCs and thought Rickson must have been a superhero by how everyone talked about him.After Sakuraba beat Royler, all eyes were on Rickson and I couldn't wait to see the best fighter in the world fight. But when he refused the fight and fought Funaki instead, I was sick for damn near a week. If you go by what people SAY, Rickson was the greatest of all time. But if you go by actual accomplishments and results, he wasn't. He refused the challenging fights and never developed a top level competitor or fighter.

did you even see who takada fought? takda was not 2-6 when he fought rickson... and no shit rickson took the funak fght, a much much bigger pay day less risk... nd he was 41 years old...

the fact that he ws very good didnt mean he was superman...

Rickson stopped fighting for a while because he was suffering from the loss of his son rockson . That is understandable.

39? look
at maia hes older and he would have murdered him in seconds. how could u call yourself a high level guy and watch that vid and not be able to technically pick that match apart and see all the fundamental mistakes

thats why i love real fighting u can see whos really legit i know sometimes people have a bad night things can happen flukes but every fight rickson struggles for 10 minutes or longer to get the fight down then eventually gets a sub on someone who isnt even blue belt level skilled

tbh if u cant see it then that just speaks for your own level of grappling

39? look

at maia hes older and he would have murdered him in seconds. how could u call yourself a high level guy and watch that vid and not be able to technically pick that match apart and see all the fundamental mistakes

thats why i love real fighting u can see whos really legit i know sometimes people have a bad night things can happen flukes but every fight rickson struggles for 10 minutes or longer to get the fight down then eventually gets a sub on someone who isnt even blue belt level skilled

tbh if u cant see it then that just speaks for your own level of grappling

Then my level of grappling must be pretty damn fucking high, considering that even legends among legends of the sport have talked about how mind blowing Ricksons level was...

Takada wasn’t a blue belt? Lmfo...

Rick son is one of the greatest Jiujitsu practioners ever, just not a great mma fighter. Look at how bad xande looked in mma and how average a fighter roger was.

Rick son is one of the greatest Jiujitsu practioners ever, just not a great mma fighter. Look at how bad xande looked in mma and how average a fighter roger was.

Though I wouldn’t use Xande as the example since I believe Rickson to be far better at MMA or streetfighting, I do agree.

Though I wouldn’t use Xande as the example since I believe Rickson to be far better at MMA or streetfighting, I do agree.

There is no evidence to suggest that rickson is a better ma fighter than Xande. Takada was a can and needed fixed fights to build him up, funaki fought like an idiot. He actually broke rickson s orbital bone and instead of keeping it standing he allowed himself to get clinched.

There is no evidence to suggest that rickson is a better ma fighter than Xande. Takada was a can and needed fixed fights to build him up, funaki fought like an idiot. He actually broke rickson s orbital bone and instead of keeping it standing he allowed himself to get clinched.

And what do you based takada being a can of? He fought arguably the best competition there was back then...

And what do you based takada being a can of? He fought arguably the best competition there was back then...

He had a work with Coleman that's the extent of his career.

From wikipedia - "Pride management also offered him to take Royce Gracie's place in his cancelled match with Mark Kerr, but he refused, citing one month to be a too short time to prepare"

Rickson could have fought Kerr instead of the pro wrestling turds.

Lol, you don’t have to remind of previous fights, I know them all.

Xande has never fought or lived under the chaotic world of Rio in the 1980’s. Rickson has fought Hugo on the beach, Anjo during dojo storm, and fought Zulu who, though not a professional MMA athlete, still a tough fight under Vale studio rules and it being a debut fight. Not to mention scores of street fights Rickson found himself in.

I know Xande, he’s a pound for pound great at BJJ, but when it comes to real world, unpredictable stress, it’s safe to say, Rickson is better than him at fighting, even with his lame takedowns and crap striking.

If going judging using your ears(what you heard), Rickson is the greatest grappler and fighter of all time.
If judging using your eyes(what you actually saw) Rickson was mediocre.
When you look at the record of Rickson's opponents, the only one with a winning record was Funaki. While he fought cans in japan, his other brothers were fighting Sakuraba and Eugenio Tadeu. Rickson was hailed as the champion of the family but when it came to the actual challenges he refused them for all kinds of reasons(money,lack of aura, age etc). During that time his brothers stepped up one after the other to fight Sakuraba and Renzo was the one who got in that cage against Tadeu. While I do respect what everyone says about how good Rickson was in training or unseen closed door fights, its just hard to weigh heresay against was was actually seen(Rickson fighting cans and refusing to step up to the challenges). There are a whole lot of street basketball legends that people say "could have been" better than Jordan or Lebron James. But are we going to say that were the best because of heresay or go by who we actually saw compete at a high level against the best?

Back