Thoughts on Rickson's BJJ/Self Defense claims?

Holy shit, that sounds amazing. Can anyone link me to the thread?
@AgonyandIrony where you at bro? Find us that mug shot! Also I found some of the storm front stuff. Clearly the same guy.

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/search.php?searchid=21595444
pDrnwhc.jpg

is there really any argument that concealed carry is not the strongest bet in terms of self-defense, short of never leaving your secret bunker hideout?
Pepper spray is probably a better option. If you're in a fight and have to take out your gun you might only get one shot. Where as pepper spray you can literally just spray everything and youre gonna get whoever is attacking you.

I disagree with lots of what Rickson says but keep these rules in mind even when experimenting with sportish guard variations. Use them to defend, sweep and return to top position.

Attachments

• 20180703_171905.jpg
    20180703_171905.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 7
Pepper spray is probably a better option. If you're in a fight and have to take out your gun you might only get one shot. Where as pepper spray you can literally just spray everything and youre gonna get whoever is attacking you.

I was once in a conference room where some dumbass accidentally deployed their pepper spray. It cleared out the room. I was a good 20-30 feet away, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Problem about pepper spray is that it will not stop a really determined attacker. It will just make them fight less efficently. And if he has a weapon, you're in for a bad day.
Another problem about pepper spray is that gets everywhere. Including yourself. And your backup, if you have any.
I think it works great to dissuade hipsters and teenage protesters from disengaging, though.

Problem about pepper spray is that it will not stop a really determined attacker. It will just make them fight less efficently. And if he has a weapon, you're in for a bad day.
Another problem about pepper spray is that gets everywhere. Including yourself. And your backup, if you have any.
I think it works great to dissuade hipsters and teenage protesters from disengaging, though.
Yeah it for sure has its issues. I still think the pros outweigh the cons. I mean imo the main issue will be the users ability to effectively defend themselves with said weapon; which pepper spray is much easier to use effectively in close quarters. With the consequences of missing being less.

To me, it seems like he believes bjj is losing it's effectiveness as a bi product of the rules. He's not necessarily saying the worm guard or berimbolo or 50/50 are bad techniques, but the idea of competitions is to sharpen your self defense, and the techniques born out of the rules, are often not your best options. I don't think his mentality is one of sport vs street. It's actually the attempt to reunite the two.
By this logic boxing isn't good for self defense because it only uses hands.

Gracie's were(are) a rich business family in Brazil and part of the walled of Portuguese colonist elite during the dictatorship.

They aren't from the Barrio, so "street fight" is a luxury of choice term for millionaires. Those guys wouldn't have lasted a second with their watered down Judo standup and falling on the ground with their legs spread in the real world.

Anderson Silva is a descendant of African slave ancestry, he grew up in the real world. That's a better indication of who would be a good fighter in the street.

Gracie's were(are) a rich business family in Brazil and part of the walled of Portuguese colonist elite during the dictatorship.

They aren't from the Barrio, so "street fight" is a luxury of choice term for millionaires. Those guys wouldn't have lasted a second with their watered down Judo standup and falling on the ground with their legs spread in the real world.

Anderson Silva is a descendant of African slave ancestry, he grew up in the real world. That's a better indication of who would be a good fighter in the street.
LMAO!

Man I know some "sport bjj" brown and black belt guard players, berimiboloers, xguarders, spider guarders, that would completely destroy your regular 7/11 thug variety in a street fight.

However I only say that because they have been playing these positions for years and are just way to strong and slick to let some bum stand over them and beat on them. They'll be swept, reversed or leg locked in a matter of seconds.

Set the clock back to when these guys were blue and even purple belt level and I can say these positions are dangerous as fuck to try to pull off in a street situation especially if your opponent has even an ounce of gameness.

Laying on your back spending precious time trying to set up a deep half sweep or trying to recover your spider guard could get your head bashed in.

A less skilled bjj fighter will be far better off in a street situation by adhearing to the classic bjj fundamentals: close the distance, enter the clinch, take them to the ground, pass the guard, obtain a dominant position, submit.

I'm all about the evolution of bjj and for the most part I'm excited about learning all this new wave stuff, but at the end of the day all the guards and new age leg entanglements are defensive positions, positions that you use if your opponent puts you on your back, a place that a competent fighter should only be in if all other offensive and defensive measures have been exhausted.

He kicked Paulson out of his gym for competing in MMA....... he is not a likeable guy. Helio even said he was a liar.

Like Beverly Hills JuiJitsu BHJJ beat down, LOL!

Rich kid cashing in on dubious 400 and 0 fight record?

Come on U know that's bull shit!

Nobody never losses!

LMAO!

It's a little sad that Kron is like 100x better than his dad in his prime but he is still in his shadow because of the cloud of bullshit.

Granted that the sport has advanced over the years; you think that Kron would be able to beat the guys Rickson did, with the limited rules Rickson faced, including the occasional streetfights against professional fighters that we have records of?

I think a case could be made, certainly, but Rickson's job as family challenge match enforcer wasn't an easy one.

Granted that the sport has advanced over the years; you think that Kron would be able to beat the guys Rickson did, with the limited rules Rickson faced, including the occasional streetfights against professional fighters that we have records of?

Kron would have destroyed them with ease. Loads of those professional fighters where pro wrestlers. Beating CM Punks is not that hard.
I think it's even likely a top tier UFC fighter would beat all 11 of Ricksons opponents back to back.

Kron would have destroyed them with ease. Loads of those professional fighters where pro wrestlers. Beating CM Punks is not that hard.
I think it's even likely a top tier UFC fighter would beat all 11 of Ricksons opponents back to back.
Not funaki

I don't think any heavyweight today could win back-to-back vale tudo matches against two prime copies of Martins, followed by 9 more MMA matches against an admittedly weak lineup that still included the Lumax Cup winner, an older Funaki, etc.

The situation would be worse if you added the *documented* semi-streetfight challenge matches like Anjo or a young Duarte, twice.

EDIT: Unless you were just exaggerating to make a point, and didn't intend to be taken literally.

Last edited:
Back