WAR ROOM LOUNGE V17: The Stuff Under Your You-Know-What

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cool with "regardless," but I generally avoid "nonplussed" and "peruse" because using them correctly might confuse people. Likewise, I might write but I never say "forte" in the sense of a strength. "Transpired" to mean "happened" is widely accepted, but it makes me feel icky.

Try it sliced with soy sauce and vinegar, and maybe some black pepper and sesame oil.

As I perused you post what transpired is that I suddenly became nonplussed about whether the use of these words was my forte. Regardless of whether I used these words correctly or not I deserve an E for effort :).

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/war-machine-case.3644123/page-2#post-135228683
the post in question was recently edited, however the comment directly below it has the full quote lol

At the VERY least, Alan should be required to make this his avatar:
Screen-Shot-2016-02-24-at-1.32.15-PM.png

His defense of War Machine is akin to David Schwimmer's god awful performance here:

@Quipling have you ventured into the Supreme Court nomination thread?

Honestly, of all the threads I've seen on this site, that one might be the most nauseating to me from a legal standpoint. Just a bunch of partisan morons making nonsensical legal arguments in support of a jurist whose effect on American law (and on their interests) they don't even have the slightest concept of. It's depressing and as pointed an indictment of democracy as one could find here.

Last edited:
@Quipling have you ventured into the Supreme Court nomination thread?

Honestly, of all the threads I've seen on this site, that one might be the most nauseating to me from a legal standpoint. Just a bunch of partisan morons making nonsensical legal arguments in support of a jurist whose effect on American law (and on their interests) they don't even have the slightest concept of. It's depressing and as pointed an indictment of democracy as one could find here.

I'll be honest with you. Kavaugh was not my pick. Hardiman is my guy out of the three. Barret is a tad to religious for me but I also would prefer her to Kav. Some of Kav's executive power stuff and some of his other jurisprudence I am a uncomfortable with. And I get the impression based on his writing that he is okay with qualified immunity as it is currently being applied. That said I need a good 2a guy so I will settle for Kav.

If it blows up I want Hardiman or preferably and this may sound strange Don Willett.

Tell me this would not be a guy people would like read his recent writing on qualified immunity. This is a conservative everyone would like.

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/08/31/judge-willett-questions-qalified-immunit
http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/17/17-50518 -CV0.pdf

The court is right about Dr. Zadeh's rights: They were violated.

But owing to a legal deus ex machina—the "clearly established law" prong of qualified-immunity analysis—the violation eludes vindication. I write separately to register my disquiet over the kudzu-like creep of the modern immunity regime. Doctrinal reform is arduous, often-Sisyphean work. And the entrenched, judge-made doctrine of qualified immunity seems Kevlar-coated, making even tweak-level tinkering doubtful. But immunity ought not be immune from thoughtful reappraisal.

To some observers, qualified immunity smacks of unqualified impunity, letting public officials duck consequences for bad behavior—no matter how palpably unreasonable—as long as they were the first to behave badly. Merely proving a constitutional deprivation doesn't cut it; plaintiffs must cite functionally identical precedent that places the legal question "beyond debate" to "every" reasonable officer. Put differently, it's immaterial that someone acts unconstitutionally if no prior case held such misconduct unlawful. Today's case applies prevailing immunity precedent (as best we can divine it): Dr. Zadeh loses because no prior decision held such a search unconstitutional. But courts of appeals are divided—intractably—over precisely what degree of factual similarity must exist. How indistinguishable must existing precedent be? On the one hand, the Supreme Court reassures plaintiffs that its caselaw "does not require a case directly on point for a right to be clearly established." On the other hand, the Court admonishes that "clearly established law must be 'particularized' to the facts of the case." But like facts in like cases is unlikely. And this leaves the "clearly established" standard neither clear nor established among our Nation's lower courts.

Two other factors perpetuate perplexity over "clearly established law." First, many courts grant immunity without first determining whether the challenged behavior violates the Constitution. They avoid scrutinizing the alleged offense by skipping to the simpler second prong: no factually analogous precedent. Forgoing a knotty constitutional inquiry makes for easier sledding. But the inexorable result is "constitutional stagnation"—fewer courts establishing law at all, much less clearly doing so. Second, constitutional litigation increasingly involves cutting-edge technologies. If courts leapfrog the underlying constitutional merits in cases raising novel issues like digital privacy, then constitutional clarity—matter-of-fact guidance about what the Constitution requires—remains exasperatingly elusive. Result: blurred constitutional contours as technological innovation outpaces legal adaptation.

Section 1983 meets Catch-22. Plaintiffs must produce precedent even as fewer courts are producing precedent. Important constitutional questions go unanswered precisely because those questions are yet unanswered. Courts then rely on that judicial silence to conclude there's no equivalent case on the books. No precedent = no clearly established law = no liability. An Escherian Stairwell. Heads defendants win, tails plaintiffs lose. Count me with Chief Justice Marshall: "The government of the United States has been emphatically termed a government of laws, and not of men. It will certainly cease to deserve this high appellation, if the laws furnish no remedy for the violation of a vested legal right." The current "yes harm, no foul" imbalance leaves victims violated but not vindicated; wrongs are not righted, wrongdoers are not reproached, and those wronged are not redressed. It is indeed curious how qualified immunity excuses constitutional violations by limiting the statute Congress passed to redress constitutional violations.

Qualified immunity aims to balance competing policy goals. And I concede it enjoys special favor at the Supreme Court, which seems untroubled by any one-sidedness. Even so, I add my voice to a growing, cross-ideological chorus of jurists and scholars urging recalibration of contemporary immunity jurisprudence and its "real world implementation."

Last edited:
Im slightly out of the loop. Is lord coke a poster who had his name changed to hide his guilt?

He essentially justified the actions of war machine as "reasonable" and understandable.

Here's the funny thing, he has never reneged on this position or did a , "you know what, I've reevaluated my position regarding war machine's aggravated assault and attempted rape. This was clearly fucked up..."

He doubles down on it .
@Lord Coke , set the record straight.

Were these actions fucked up or not?

He essentially justified the actions of war machine as "reasonable" and understandable.

Here's the funny thing, he has never reneged on this position or did a , "you know what, I've reevaluated my position regarding war machine's aggravated assault and attempted rape. This was clearly fucked up..."

He doubles down on it .
@Lord Coke , set the record straight.

Were these actions fucked up or not?
What could possibly be unreasonable about a professional fighter dropping a liver kick on a 130lb woman

As I perused you post what transpired is that I suddenly became nonplussed about whether the use of these words was my forte. Regardless of whether I used these words correctly or not I deserve an E for effort :).
*your

Lets ask @Lord Coke ...

Are you ever gonna try and defend your position, or are you going to dick tuck the rest of your life on sherdog?
Ffs this is a fight forum.
We've all seen what liver kicks do to even the biggest, burliest dudes.
It's seriously lucky she didn't die.

I deleted that post because it gets brought up every 6 months or so to derail one of my threads. If people want to flame me then do it in a off topic thread like this not in one of my threads. I just hate it that people derail my threads. I've been thinking about changing my name for awhile that has nothing to do with that post. I pm'd a mod about it a week before this recent uproars and he told me I needed a admin and since I don't know any I put it off for a few days. Then one of the admins was nice enough to help me out. That's it.
Ah what, you changed the Might Guy avatar? That was my mental image of you. When you mention your cases I just imagine Guy-sensei in a courtroom addressing the judge.

Oh well, suppose a name change is a perfect time to switch up the avatar. I did the same despite having a great avatar before.

Funnily enough, I still think of him as Wolfwood despite knowing his actual name.

Lets ask @Lord Coke ...

Are you ever gonna try and defend your position, or are you going to dick tuck the rest of your life on sherdog?
His position makes sense, people are just jumping on him because of the silly comment about how War Machine is a victim of radical feminism. That part was silly but the rest of it makes sense to me. He got life in prison even though he didn't kill her while other people who do unlawfully kill someone don't. He was denied a plea deal because the judge allowed his victim, an obviously biased party, to decide whether or not to let it happen. And the plea deal wasn't exactly a slap on the wrist either, it was 12 years.

I don't feel sorry for WM because he is a massive piece of shit and society is probably better off with him behind bars for at least 36 years instead of 12. But it does seem like he got kind of a shit deal and I think the plea deal was more appropriate than life in prison.

His position makes sense, people are just jumping on him because of the silly comment about how War Machine is a victim of radical feminism. That part was silly but the rest of it makes sense to me. He got life in prison even though he didn't kill her while other people who do unlawfully kill someone don't. He was denied a plea deal because the judge allowed his victim, an obviously biased party, to decide whether or not to let it happen. And the plea deal wasn't exactly a slap on the wrist either, it was 12 years.

I don't feel sorry for WM because he is a massive piece of shit and society is probably better off with him behind bars for at least 36 years instead of 12. But it does seem like he got kind of a shit deal and I think the plea deal was more appropriate than life in prison.
Maybe you should clarify your thoughts on justifying it because people used to beat the shit out of unfaithful women with impunity at some point in human history, so he should get leniency for attacking her after she moved on to a new relationship.

I'd love to have that account back. Hint hint nudge nudge.

You can ask admin I guess, but I think accounts banned prior to software migration might be an issue.

I'm cool with "regardless," but I generally avoid "nonplussed" and "peruse" because using them correctly might confuse people. Likewise, I might write but I never say "forte" in the sense of a strength. "Transpired" to mean "happened" is widely accepted, but it makes me feel icky.

Try it sliced with soy sauce and vinegar, and maybe some black pepper and sesame oil.

Wtf is wrong with "peruse"?

Wtf is wrong with "peruse"?

Means to read or go over something really carefully, but many people use it to mean just scan something quickly. Whether you use it correctly or not, it can confuse people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back