Braveheart ruined Robert the Bruce for me

the score on this part always makes me want to cry forever
9JByn9O.jpg

Appropriately titled 'Gift of a Thistle'.

Amazing score

Great movie.

Did you see Wind River? Personally I rank it a little higher, but they are both fantastic

I did see Wind River and thought it was great, but IMHO was just a crime procedural at the end of the day, where I felt Hell or High Water was much more.

i'm afraid there's no cure for stupidity

so the best you can do is try to hide it better and dont go around admitting your knowledge of historical figures begins and ends at 90's movies.

I did see Wind River and thought it was great, but IMHO was just a crime procedural at the end of the day, where I felt Hell or High Water was much more.

I hear ya.

I actually saw Sicario, Hell Or High Water, & Wind River three days in a row this year -- just by total coincidence -- & then found out they were all written by the same guy. That was weird.

There's a new movie out on Netflix called the outlaw King. It looks great. Directed by Taylor Sheridan who made hell or high water (which I still need to see) and wind river (which I loved).

So I was looking forward to this movie but I just saw the trailer and discovered that it's about Robert the Bruce.

I have this image in my head about Robert the Bruce being a pussy who's cowardice led to William Wallace's death. Sure he eventually did the right thing but had he done it earlier he could've saved many lives including Wallace's.

How can I get this image of Bruce out of my head so I can enjoy this movie?

Edit: I was wrong about Taylor Sheridan directing this. The trailer said it was from the same director as hell or high water and I mistakenly thought that was Sheridan. In fact Sheridan wrote that movie but didn't direct it.

Braveheart was a great movie. And about as historically an accurate depiction of Wallace and Bruce as 300 was of the Battle of Thermopylae

Bruce was ruthlessly pragmatic. While he loved Scotland, he would not allow anyone else to rule it. He was a brilliant general, a superb fighter and an intelligent and fair-minded(by the standards of the time)king. Forget Mad Mel's version and just enjoy the movie.

What's the deal with Robert the Bruce?
Is his name Robert or Bruce?

In the next Braveheart remake, I want to see a character named Billy the Bob or William the Benjamin or Thomas the George or James the Luke

Last edited:
Braveheart was a great movie. And about as historically an accurate depiction of Wallace and Bruce as 300 was of the Battle of Thermopylae

Bruce was ruthlessly pragmatic. While he loved Scotland, he would not allow anyone else to rule it. He was a brilliant general, a superb fighter and an intelligent and fair-minded(by the standards of the time)king. Forget Mad Mel's version and just enjoy the movie.

I saw this film thirteen times in the cinema; it's fair to say I loved it. I got off work every afternoon, there was a theater near my house, and afternoon showings were two bucks, with free refills on coffee.

The history is very bad but it's a magical film, rich, passionate and layered. The scenes I treasured the most on repeated viewings were the scenes of The Bruce. One of the most intense moments of the film was after he betrays Wallace and rages at his father.

Braveheart is a fun movie but I mean c’mon, it depicted William Wallace as a kilt wearing highlander with his face painted blue. It should not be creating anyone’s avatars for these real historical people.

he was known as Braveheart

On his deathbed, Bruce ordered his best friend Sir James, "the Black" Douglas to cut out his heart and carry it with him on Crusade. Douglas carried the Bruce's heart in a casket he wore around his neck. While fighting the Moors in Spain, Douglas was cut off from the Scottish and Spanish forces. Surrounded by Muslims and knowing he was about to die, the Black Douglas threw the casket containing the heart at the Moors and shouted,

"Lead on, Brave Heart, as ever was thy want! And where thou leads, a Douglas follows!"

After the battle was won, the heart was recovered and returned to Scotland along with Sir James' body, and reburied in Bruce's tomb.

Last edited:
Pete being a savage today.

The movie is better than braveheart, imo.

fun fact.. robert the bruce was braveheart.. not the william wallace

Outlaw King is both on Netflix AND in theaters, which is crazy

There's a new movie out on Netflix called the outlaw King. It looks great. Directed by Taylor Sheridan who made hell or high water (which I still need to see) and wind river (which I loved).

So I was looking forward to this movie but I just saw the trailer and discovered that it's about Robert the Bruce.

I have this image in my head about Robert the Bruce being a pussy who's cowardice led to William Wallace's death. Sure he eventually did the right thing but had he done it earlier he could've saved many lives including Wallace's.

How can I get this image of Bruce out of my head so I can enjoy this movie?

Edit: I was wrong about Taylor Sheridan directing this. The trailer said it was from the same director as hell or high water and I mistakenly thought that was Sheridan. In fact Sheridan wrote that movie but didn't direct it.
lol you can't take Mel Gibson's interpretation of history seriously. He's a notorious anti-British racist being a proud Catholic from Irish roots so he was brought up to despise Anglos. Just watch how Brits are portrayed in The Patriot. There's one scene where a British captain orders everyone in an American town to gather inside a church and then locks the doors and burns it with them inside. He just might hate the British even more than Jews.

That said, I love his movies.

"Bruce and Henry de Bohun, the nephew of the Earl of Hereford, faced off in what became a celebrated instance of single combat. Bohun charged at Bruce and when the two passed side by side, Bruce split Bohun's head with his axe."

Taking out a charging fully armoured Knight while on a hobby horse.... 100% badass.

Back