Just how good was Wanderlei Silva?

Seeing as he has the most wins of all time when you combine UFC/Pride/Strikeforce records he is definitely in the discussion. Seeing as he also beat the best LHWs of the time that also puts him in the discussion. His major loses came at the end of his career.

Looking back it might be hard to tell, but if you followed the sport at the time you’d know. He was the most feared fighter of his time.
Wanderlei was one of my favorite fighters back in the Pride days. Actually Mirko vs Wanderlei 1 was one of the first fights that I watched in MMA. Like I said, he was a monster and yes he did beat most of the fighters he faced in Pride. But let's be honest: what was the level of the fighters he faced in Pride. Apart of Hendo, Rampage and Sakuraba, most of them were B to C level fighters. Back in the day he was the man at MW in Pride. But so was let's say Gomi at LW in Pride and I don't think anybody would mention Gomi in a LW GOAT discussion.

Wanderlei Silva is the GOAT because I say so.

Wanderlei had all the tools but don't overlook a 22' ring being a much better platform for his skills as opposed to a 32' octagon

giphy.gif

Oh sheet, did the guy get busted for them? Or you just assuming he was on them cause he was that good?

Just look at him in Pride and then in UFC.
He was physically imposing and scary as hell in Pride.
In UFC ... not so much.

You should snag the entire DVD library of PRIDE events, you won't regret it.

giphy.gif

don-frye-yoshihiro-fFI53OkKxB6rS
To this day, this is still my favorite fight ever.
It's not technical by any means and maybe not even a good fight, but it has cartoonlike violence in it and always makes me smile.
As far as Wandy goes, he may not have been the goat, but damn was he exciting.
He still makes my all time top 5.

He was a monster, but he was not known for being a technical striker. He was ferocious, throwing wild hay makers and doing damage with knees, stomps and soccer kicks. He was the Pride MW champion for a long time, destroying everybody but IMO he's not worthy to mention when you're starting the GOAT talks ...

He could definitely be included in LHW GOAT...

But overall GOAT... I hear yah..

Got fight pass, someone on here recommended me to go watch pride stuff, so I watched a documentary on pride and man that wanderlei Silva looked vicious! His staredowns alone looked scary af! Almost on the same level as mike Tyson! No one really mentions this guy in the goat talk but just how good was he, was he a level just below the goat status or something

Plus pride itself looked insane, some of the fights, Damn!

Kill or be killed, roid monkey. Theres a million of em.

Fun to watch was like an elite ped fueled bar brawler

Wanderlei was one of my favorite fighters back in the Pride days. Actually Mirko vs Wanderlei 1 was one of the first fights that I watched in MMA. Like I said, he was a monster and yes he did beat most of the fighters he faced in Pride. But let's be honest: what was the level of the fighters he faced in Pride. Apart of Hendo, Rampage and Sakuraba, most of them were B to C level fighters. Back in the day he was the man at MW in Pride. But so was let's say Gomi at LW in Pride and I don't think anybody would mention Gomi in a LW GOAT discussion.
You´re sayin´ that HW Hunto,Kondo,Tamura,Yvel,Mezger, HW Fujita etc.. were lousy bums?

What he did to take the title from Sakuraba should be illegal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back