GODZILLA II: KING OF THE MONSTERS (Final Trailer; First Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly it is only tracking for around 50 million. I hope that's not true because if it is then that is pretty much if for the monsterverse. Imagine a film with Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra flopping 50 million, but wouldn't be surprised people really only pay for MCU movies nowadays.

Meh, first movie was OK, the Kong movie was OK, and I don't have tremendously high hopes for this. Hollywood's storytelling style just doesn't fit the material all that well if you ask me. Honestly, I really don't care about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's personal drama as it takes up 75% of the movie, and my interest in seeing a bunch of screen time devoted to Stranger Things girl is pretty much nonexistent.

Personally, I'm far more excited for this:

"The studio responsible for creating Godzilla is planning to build a new shared cinematic universe around the monster. Toho will reportedly not be shooting a sequel to their smash-hit Shin Godzilla (also known as Godzilla Resurgence in the US), but following 2020's release of Godzilla vs. Kong, they hope to place the King of the Monsters and his fellow Kaiju in a whole new world of possibilities.

According to the Japanese publication Nikkei Style (via Godzilla-Movies), they have some big plans for their creations. Toho executive Keiji Ota stated that the studio will be releasing a new Godzilla movie every 1-2 years. Not only that, but they're basing their new films on the MCU, as he says;

"The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character."
"

https://screenrant.com/toho-godzilla-cinematic-universe-shin-godzilla-2-canceled/

The irony of this is that they're treating the whole "shared universe" thing like it was Marvel's idea, but the old Godzilla and other Kaiju movies effectively had a shared universe in the 50's and 60's... Doing this will just be returning Godzilla and his monster buddies to their roots.

I always thought this was the best scene from 2014 Godzilla. There was some nice artistic flare here, like the piano music as well. Too bad the rest of the movie wasn’t done as well as this brief scene.

Here’s the full scene, from the plane jump to Godzilla.

This was the most well done part of the film. Really really nice visuals at work here

Supposedly it is only tracking for around 50 million. I hope that's not true because if it is then that is pretty much if for the monsterverse. Imagine a film with Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra flopping 50 million, but wouldn't be surprised people really only pay for MCU movies nowadays.
China is going to carry it.

I bet it does 180-200 million domestically and then makes 350-400 worldwide. It'll be the first 500million movie of the summer

That’s the worst body I’ve ever seen. Wtf is that
6minabs_ebook_flat.jpg

The trailer contents is just generic giant monster combat and human reaction. It's not like some spoiler stuff you never expected from this type of movie.

Looking forward to this seeing the commercials. All the OG monster foes coming back.

I read this is like a sequel to the King Kong movie.. leading to a Godzilla vs King Kong movie later on. Awesome!

I'm hoping for a more sane result this time around, as opposed to the original where Kong won.

Godzilla is too big for Kong.. and with his fire breathing ability would burn Kong's hairy ass to the ground within 10 seconds of the 2 meeting each other.

Thus far all the giant monster movies I've seen including Pacific Rim and that last pos Godzilla have been epic fails for me. I'm hoping this is gonna be the one to buck the trend.

I really hope this movie will deliver, even if the story sucks (which the plot so far seems 50/50), I want to see some titans battle it out.

haven't watched a movie at the theatres for yrs but im considering going for this one. loved godzilla as a kid and still do.

Thus far all the giant monster movies I've seen including Pacific Rim and that last pos Godzilla have been epic fails for me. I'm hoping this is gonna be the one to buck the trend.
maybe its not your style

Pacific Rim was glorious (second one was bad). Edwards' Godzilla film was good, but should have given monsters more screentime. Story itself was interesting though.
Skull Island is also fantastic. Great battles and interesting characters (though a few more minutes of screentime for characters would have been cool).

There aren't many kaiju films made in the last 10 years. But most of them have been solid, imo

Looking forward to this seeing the commercials. All the OG monster foes coming back.

I read this is like a sequel to the King Kong movie.. leading to a Godzilla vs King Kong movie later on. Awesome!

I'm hoping for a more sane result this time around, as opposed to the original where Kong won.

Godzilla is too big for Kong.. and with his fire breathing ability would burn Kong's hairy ass to the ground within 10 seconds of the 2 meeting each other.
I remember all that talk. Since King Kong is american made, a US studio will have King Kong became the victor in that scenario while a Japanese owned studio like Sony would have Godzilla as the winner

I remember all that talk. Since King Kong is american made, a US studio will have King Kong became the victor in that scenario while a Japanese owned studio like Sony would have Godzilla as the winner

I remember as a kid I heard they made an alternate ending to the movie, where they both tumble into the water.

In America they saw the version where Kong swims away, thus the assumed victor.

In Japan they had Godzilla swimming away.

I never saw any proof of the later, so assume it was bullshit. :)

Pacific Rim was glorious (second one was bad). Edwards' Godzilla film was good, but should have given monsters more screentime. Story itself was interesting though.
Skull Island is also fantastic. Great battles and interesting characters (though a few more minutes of screentime for characters would have been cool).

There aren't many kaiju films made in the last 10 years. But most of them have been solid, imo

Pacific Rim was gloriously bad. The fights between the jaegers and the kaiju looked impressive but sadly not enough to make me forgot the shit writing and godawful acting going on. I mean it was so bad I spent the whole movie cringing.

Godzilla sucked mainly because the man himself got such pathetically little amount of screentime. They had also sold it as Heisenberg vs Godzilla and we know how that turned out. Other than that I barely remember anything else about it.

Still haven't gotten around to watching Skull Island yet, it's stacked up with all the other movies I sort of wanted to see but could never be arsed watching.

Pacific Rim was gloriously bad. The fights between the jaegers and the kaiju looked impressive but sadly not enough to make me forgot the shit writing and godawful acting going on. I mean it was so bad I spent the whole movie cringing.

Godzilla sucked mainly because the man himself got such pathetically little amount of screentime. They had also sold it as Heisenberg vs Godzilla and we know how that turned out. Other than that I barely remember anything else about it.

Still haven't gotten around to watching Skull Island yet, it's stacked up with all the other movies I sort of wanted to see but could never be arsed watching.
pacific rim has a particular feel to it; it was going for camp, which I loved because Del Toro had aesthetics to match.
I can appreciate the Godzilla criticisms though. Kong is excellent, btw. Watch it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back