Any Aikido in MMA?

Just like Karate was bullshit before Machida, when God decreed that it works.
Right,but you cant use that example to assume every martial art not being used in MMA is applicable to MMA

There are some interesting techniques in Aikido, specially a few good wrist locks. They can be used in self defense against untrained opponents. When I was 14 or 15 I trained Aikido for a little while and I managed to use a few wrist locks successfully against other kids.
The problem is, as you pointed, the overly cooperative training. There is no real resistance and every grip move your opponent does is made to purposely set up the locks you are going to use.
When I started training bjj, there was an Aikido class right before ours. One of their black belts started to train with us around the time I got my blue belt. It was pretty easy to submit him. I remember once as we started to roll he used an interesting move and was able to get a good position, but other than that it didn't help him much.

I mostly agree with this, but I did have an interesting experience against an aikido blackbelt in Hawaii. Several of us were training at the Kebo Academy for the upcoming sport jujitsu tournament (kind of like amateur mma mid 90s) and I sparred with this guy. I beat the guy, but felt oddly threatened by his odd movements the whole time. The guy who sparred him after me had a bad time. New guy threw a front kick and Mr. Aikido scooped it mid flight and threw him onto his head nearly knocking him out. After a brief recovery period they went at it again and Mr. Aikido kicked out one of his legs while wrenching his head forward and effectively DDT'd the guy - out cold. It was the first and last time I saw aikido used effectively in the 20ish years I was involved with martial arts.

HvW6ua.gif

Front-Kick-KO.gif

All taught by Sensei Seagal
giphy.gif

Maybe i'm wrong but Machda seem to use it a lil bit, but maybe is more rarely seen Judo stuff than Aikido

2agw0lj.gif

25z3qis.gif

24ovsdh.gif

Maybe i'm wrong but Machda seem to use it a lil bit, but maybe is more rarely seen Judo stuff than Aikido

2agw0lj.gif

25z3qis.gif

24ovsdh.gif

I would be more inclined to think it is sumo related since Machida has trained sumo.

2agw0lj.gif

25z3qis.gif

24ovsdh.gif

There are a lot of foot sweeps in karate.

Small joint manipulation is banned in the UFC. Too deadly

Seems it would be effective, but I haven't heard of any fighters using Aikido, or even including it in their training.
I use it at my MMA gym but I kind of want to keep it a secret. Aikido is a beautiful and deadly art. The movements are like ballet but the destruction is unprecedented. I don't want the brutes at the gym, or in MMA in general, to spoil this beautiful art.

So whereas I will occasionally toss a fighter into the wall or floor and stay tight lipped as he begs for my deadly secrets, I don't actually ever expose the hidden secrets passed down over generations. Just like when I mastered the fatal "flower finger death strike" and tested it out lightly at the gym (not full power). Nobody died but there was a close call and I've never used another death strike in MMA training. I tend to lean more on touching with teh jab.

So yes, Aikido is used in MMA training - on every continent on earth. I'm in contact with a few other masters who employ its techniques in MMA, but nobody will say a word about it or pass on the secret death techniques. And the world is better off for it.

"With great power (and fatal technique) comes great responsibility (to hide the deadly techniques)". My master always used to say that before he put on his mask and went swinging out the window.

Small joint manipulation is banned in the UFC. Too deadly
A brute with no fingers is hardly a brute!

My master always used to say this after eradicating and annihilating fingers

It's too deadly of a martial art. A fighter's head exploding on ppv or cable would be too much for the public to endure.
Seen it in my gym. Luckily the brute survived. His dating life took a serious hit (like his head did, ha ha!)

the thing is i wrestle,trained jiu jitsu muay thai and combat sambo. When i see a "gentle" art where two guys "cooperate" with each other with no resistanceand the whole philosophy is anti sparring,i cant really see what these guys are really gonna do when they get punched in the face,and have some teeth broken...buuuuuuut i would still take a class out of curiosity. There must be soemthing to it,even if its not applicable against someone who knows what they are doing. Gesse Howard uses it,it cant be all bad?!
my philosophy as well.

I get that it's seen as a joke by the public and maybe that's the right attitude.

At the same time it seems like it's a catalogue of joint locks where there has to be some places in self defense where one of those is the optimum move.

and small joint manipulation isn't allowed in mma so we don't see it.

I think keeping an open mind can't hurt. Can't be so open that youre retarded but a little open.

No, Judo is basically the best "gentle" or "Internal" art that actually works in MMA and a real fight. And even Judo is not pure internal.

The "internal" arts are more philosophical than technical and a good internal art basically trains and tries to incorporate movement philosophies and internal suble muscle control rather than a set of techniques. But at the highest level, a fighter will learn this stuff subconsciously anyway by just training in boxing, wrestling, judo, and jujitsu.

The best "internal" arts to practice are basically of the philosophy of like, "We will train you in weird movements and exercises so that in 6 months you get muscle memory and the balance and muscle control and understanding of movement that would otherwise take you 3+ years to fully get by training in an external style, in order to supplement your external training". It's not supposed to be used on it's own, it's supposed to supplement your other striking and grappling training.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was necrobumped.

Last edited:
Aikido doesn't work unless the person attacking you is going along with what you're doing. Aikido is like the pro wrestling version of Judo without a ground game.

Aikido is the most elegant but the worst
wrestling is the least elegant and the best
BJJ is the blend
striking can be elegant too.

and it can be a a mess but still work.

Aikido is not allowed in MMA because it is too deadly. It is all about using your opponent's size and strength against them, so a real big strong fighter like Lesnar would be effortlessly killed by a 135 Aikido master.
Lmfao this right here...

Back