6'7 Travis Browne, 6'7 Alex Volkov and the UFC height fallacy

But can any of these big guys look good in a suit?

DZdBBZ1XUAAj8mk.jpg
When I was watching that "Last Dance" thing on Netflix, Scottie Pippen always looked weird in a suit. Always.

I dunno bro, if u play basketball, they really measure you.

For sure- and that’s definitely a different situation because you could be tall by everyday standards like Curry but be one of the shortest people on the court in a given game.

My point was more that once you pass a certain threshold of height, people care less about how tall you say you are cause you’re just insanely tall.

So a 5’9 person claiming 6 feet seems ludicrous but a 6’9 person claiming 7 feet far less so even though they’re equally off.

I have 2 friends that have met several UFC fighters while working at events in Las Vegas.

They both said that the fighters heights were exaggerated like crazy. They said that all the LHWs who listed their height as 6’2 -6’3 are really about 5’-10-5’11.

*This was in 2006 or so- Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, wanderlei Silva, Hendo, Rampage

I have posted this before. Browne is around 6 foot 5. He played basketball in college, and was listed at 6 foot 7 with shoes on.

The worst ever was 6 foot 5 Shane Carwin. Carwin even admitted on Twitter several years back that he is slightly above 6 foot 1 (lol).

What we need is another height thread.

No no. Wait!.
a week.

Then we good for another

If people measured in metric, which is all that matters, then the Challenger crew would still be alive and these threads would have less attention.

Heightism is almost as bad as lookism, but only almost.
If people weren't obsessed with how tall people are we wouldn't have this bullshit, hilarious that this shit even matters so much to MMA fans. A sport that proved so many times that height doesn't mean jackshit in certain situations in fighting you would think people gave less of a fuck lol.

I have 2 friends that have met several UFC fighters while working at events in Las Vegas.

They both said that the fighters heights were exaggerated like crazy. They said that all the LHWs who listed their height as 6’2 -6’3 are really about 5’-10-5’11.

*This was in 2006 or so- Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, wanderlei Silva, Hendo, Rampage

Yeah I think it’s pretty widely accepted guys like Shad and Hendo are 5’10ish.

You look at Tito, Chuck, Machida and that’s more of a clear 6 feet and over. Probably all somewhere around 6’1. Rampage too- visible taller than Rashad and Wandy. Wandy was billed as 6’1 at one point I think but clear height difference with Chuck and Page and Bisping from what I recall.

Cormier another dude who operates in some weird gray area where even though he’s probably 5’10 at tallest he sometimes is billed closer to 6 ft. It’s crazy to see Felder a lightweight is taller when they stand next to one another for commentary.

Obviously none of this is a very big deal. Inflated heights are just one of those things. DC is one of the best ever regardless.

Am I supposed to believe now that Mighty Mouse isn’t 6’9”?

Heightism is almost as bad as lookism, but only almost.
If people weren't obsessed with how tall people are we wouldn't have this bullshit, hilarious that this shit even matters so much to MMA fans. A sport that proved so many times that height doesn't mean jackshit in certain situations in fighting you would think people gave less of a fuck lol.
My height has always served me well in any sport I played .6’3 ..... Tall or short can be advantageous..... Just gotta know how to use what you got

One of the funny ones was Nick "The Goat" Thompson and Paul Daley fight- they were both billed as 6'1 from what I recall in the pre-fight and then when they squared up, Thompson was the taller man by roughly five inches.

But I chalk that one up to just a production snafu because Daley has never been billed as close to 6 feet in any other fight that I recall.

images

yet

D0iV5PKU8AAWnRf.jpg

while

024_Andrei_Arlovski_and_Brendan_Schaub.0.jpg

and

040_alistair_overeem_and_travis_browne.0.jpg

heavyweight-opponents-stefan-struve-and-travis-browne-face-off-at-the-picture-id114889325

Ngannou is like 6'6. Browne maybe 6'7. Schaubi maybe 6'3 and a half. AA about 6'4. Struve is close to as advertised.

Back