Opinion Should People Have More Respect for the President?

Should People Have More Respect for the President?

• Total voters
So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I have my own issues with Biden, but I think public officials like DeSantis should have more respect for the President. For DeSantis to unleash an unwarranted attack on our President because things aren't going too well in his own state right now is just really sad to me.

And I would hope that if a respectful Republican ever gets elected again who doesn't act like Trump, that we would treat him in kind, even if we disagree with his policies and whatnot. But perhaps that ship has sailed, sadly...

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, delivered extraordinary and impassioned remarks on the issue Wednesday — attacking President Joe Biden.

He made a litany of accusations against the president, many of them amped up versions of what Biden or his administration has said and done that have an element of truth but DeSantis depicted as ineptitude, incompetence or maliciousness.

The governor concluded his 4 1/2-minute broadside with this message to the president: “So why don’t you do your job? Why don’t you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don’t want to hear a blip about COVID from you. Thank you.”

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-attacks-biden-192400288.html
I'm pretty sure Biden went after the way DeSantis is running Florida. Biden was playing politics. And DeSantis has to punch back.

Picture Aristotle.

Picture Trump.

Picture Da Vinci.

Picture Kanye.

It's all a regression mate. The poor discourse is nothing but a parallel for the poor options.

To be fair, the pandemic came about during Trump being president. Not sure if that was god's punishment. I think that's what a god would do, those kind of big acts.

To be fair, the pandemic came about during Trump being president. Not sure if that was god's punishment. I think that's what a god would do, those kind of big acts.
The establishment made this virus, bro.. Or at least paid some people to make it.

1. What a bizarre and inaccurate take. DeSantis was responding to dementia Joe who attacked him. They're worried that DeSantis is going to be the next republican candidate for president, so they sent a guy with dementia to attack him and he got bodied.

2. Lol, comedy central literally made a cartoon called "lil Bush" mocking George Bush by making him a retarded school kid, some reporter in the middle east threw his shoe at him. There is no magical time when nobody criticized the president, even when it was Reagan who nearly every state voted for.

People should have less respect for the president imo. There's no good reason anybody should think higher of any politician that they do anybody else.

Last edited:
No lol maybe they should earn respect . I'm 30, not a single one of your presidents did anything to garner respect and the last 2 have been absoloute fucking morons while the previous 2 were just incompetent idiots.

One thing I think that both sides can agree on is we live in an extremely disrespectful world these days.

Definitely not. Being elected to a position of power doesn't entitle you to automatic respect, if anything it's the opposite and you should fall under greater scrutiny as your power to screw over the people is greater.

I don't recall ever saying the man was faultless and/or perfect while POTUS.
You don’t have to, he’s said it enough about himself. The only geriatric human to ever exist without ever making a mistake.

Should they? Yes.
Will they? No.

The ship has long sailed on decent rhetoric between political parties about the sitting POTUS. I think it left port during Bill Clinton's term and has never returned. The last administration completely torpedoed it though. It used to be one way, where lowbrow politicians took low level shots at POTUS and the office never responded. They maintained the "dignity of the office". Trump was all too comfortable getting down into the mud with everyone. Once the office of the President is engaged in the behavior, there's no going back.

There will always be scoffers for someone in a high position, especially a political one. It just comes with the territory, and must be accepted.

It started coming from the right* when Obama was in office, even though Obama conducted himself with decorum. The bullshit like a sitting Congressman (Joe Wilson) shouting "you lie!" at Obama during the State of the Union address. Shouldn't do that on either side. But it really ramped up under Trump because of the way he acted and the response he would get. Just feel like the precedent that was set under him has sent us on a bad path. The President should act a certain way and compose himself and people should have respect for the position not only domestic but internationally.

*There were comedians and other liberals who were disrespectful to W. Bush in the 2000s, but not elected officials at the time. W.'s policies were exceptionally bad and he was kind of embarrassing in the way he carried himself. His father knew how to act.
Jackie how old are you? Clinton, Bush Sr, they got wrecked routinely as well.

Things are worse now but the pres of the US having universal respect and being a bit sacred disappeared long ago.

I don't even like Trump, but the way he was treated in office was shameful, and the inevitable result was setting a precedent that we remove barriers in how we attack sitting officials.

The only "shameful" aspect of how Trump was treated in office came from the half of the country who worshiped and adored and blindly followed him like a demigod. That was truly shameful to have to witness as an American.

1628257264211.jpg

This reminds Joe of evenings in the Comet Pizza basement. Except the face mask would be a ball gag and the bracelet would be a handcuff.

troll-face-gif-3.gif

Jackie how old are you? Clinton, Bush Sr, they got wrecked routinely as well.

Things are worse now but the pres of the US having universal respect and being a bit sacred disappeared long ago.
Yeah I wonder just how old he is too considering his pals pulled the Hitler card on Bush.

You don’t have to, he’s said it enough about himself. The only geriatric human to ever exist without ever making a mistake.

So then why make the comment on my post?

Back