Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Release Pushed Back to March 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm just not feeling her...

I don't think there has ever been a good Chani in any version of Dune, which is sad because she's such an important character.

D1T4qW4X4AIujrt.jpg

dune029.jpg

6bd64d6d625f3df7a2bd9f32c28b8a9278868134.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2023-5-4_17-59-33.jpeg
    upload_2023-5-4_17-59-33.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Update: May 2, 2023

First Poster and Official Trailer for Denis Villeneuve's DUNE: PART TWO [Updated]

FvIhyI9aUAUZz6l

It'll think part of what made me like Dune was that I experienced zero promo or anticipatory stuff for it. Somehow I dodged it all without meaning to. Then it was on during a flight, I watched it, and was really impressed. I think I'll try the same approach with this one.

All the way in on this.

Did you see Dune in IMAX the first time?

I've been wanting to watch Eternals but never got around to it. Maybe I should give it a go.
I did not see it in IMAX

Hey if you enjoy it I am all for it. ;) To me the old movie had some very cringy scenes and the effects were well a child of their time but the actors nailed it a LOT better like Paul, Zani, Kynes, Leito, Jessica, Fremen, the script was better....etc and the knife fights felt much more believable.

The new movie just has bombast and celebrating visual style. Which is not a bad thing per se but its basically all there is. It will be interesting if they also want to make movies of the following books as fremen / Paul arent some saviours of the planet but take on to brutalize the universe with a fanatical religious wars. Its very much not a book series about good vs bad like star wars. I doubt Hollywood nowadays is able or even willing to portray that

Last edited:
Hey if you enjoy it I am all for it. ;) To me the old movie had some very cringy scenes and the effects were well a child of their time but the actors nailed it a LOT better like Paul, Zani, Kynes, Leito, Jessica, Fremen, the script was better....etc and the knife fights felt much more believable.

The new movie just has bombast and celebrating visual style. Which is not a bad thing per se but its basically all there is. It will be interesting if they also want to make movies of the following books as fremen / Paul arent some saviours of the planet but take on to brutalize the universe with a fanatical religious wars. Its very much not a book series about good vs bad like star wars. I doubt Hollywood nowadays is able or even willing to portray that

I mean really Hebert's book is the opposite of the typical heroes journey, showing how damaging a heroic leader can be and I'm guessing having more than a little influence by westerners using Islamic uprisings to suit their own agenda.

Lynch's film didnt really do that either but I think really it basically cut out a small part of the book and focused on that, the idea of Paul's character having a mystical enlightenment. It was also more willing to ask more of the audience were as I felt this film was more Nolanish with tis heavy exposition and I think the result was Lynch's film spent more time actually building the characters up.

The FX of the Lynch film are sometimes quite primitive(although some of the matt paintings look really good) but I also like the design of that film more. The modern film just seems locked in grey and brown blocky minimalism were as the Lynch film really embraced giving each location an individual design and embraced the medievalism of the setting more.

I mean really Hebert's book is the opposite of the typical heroes journey, showing how damaging a heroic leader can be and I'm guessing having more than a little influence by westerners using Islamic uprisings to suit their own agenda.

Lynch's film didnt really do that either but I think really it basically cut out a small part of the book and focused on that, the idea of Paul's character having a mystical enlightenment. It was also more willing to ask more of the audience were as I felt this film was more Nolanish with tis heavy exposition and I think the result was Lynch's film spent more time actually building the characters up.

The FX of the Lynch film are sometimes quite primitive(although some of the matt paintings look really good) but I also like the design of that film more. The modern film just seems locked in grey and brown blocky minimalism were as the Lynch film really embraced giving each location an individual design and embraced the medievalism of the setting more.

Thx you captured my thoughts perfect. The older movie wasnt perfect I agree far from it but it captured part of the allure and universe of Herbert. The depressing thing about modern Hollywood is that the viewer gets treated like a toddler. Like you wrote asking something of the audience. Make connections for yourself , while most modern blockbusters treat you like a mildly retarded 12 year old. The Blade Runner Remake was imo the exact same thing. Smooth and beautiful on the surface but lacked every depth the original had.

And as good as the CGI at times was, the fighting was idiotic sequences of wu shu like ballet movements.Again with the age thing it looks like an 8year old would fantasize about fighting.

nuxb2pzovgx71.gif

killed by Fremen "crotch in ya face" deathblow.
7ff.gif

Last edited:
The depressing thing about modern Hollywood is that the viewer gets treated like a toddler. Like you wrote asking something of the audience. Make connections for yourself , while most modern blockbusters treat you like a mildly retarded 12 year old. The Blade Runner Remake was imo the exact same thing. Smooth and beautiful on the surface but lacked every depth the original had.

The sad thing is this seems to be the path to success, Nolans films like Inception and Interstellar set the pattern of not asking much of the audience where as Tenet asked a bit more and was hated for it.

Blade Runner 2049 I think is a bit less clear cut for me, the film is definitely more conventional than the original, its a sci fi action thriller were as the original was more an arty drama. That said I do think 2049 was a step above what we normally get from such films, it did also take a good deal of time to build its characters and its atmosphere. The stuff between K and Joi especially I do think had a good deal of depth to it, well done characters and interesting ideas on the natural of the relationship. a slave potentially owning a slave.

Acting quality is an issue as well for me, I think 2049 benefited a lot from Gosling and Des Armas really nailing those roles were as Dune only really Isaac had the ability and the screen time to really stand out much for me. Chalamet to me is miscast, I think his version of Paul feels backwards dramatically, he's naturally too smug, whiney and not very likable but the script tries to make us like him were as I think really the reverse should be true.

Not to say I hated the film, I think as an action blockbuster it was pretty solid but I'm really not seeing the claims of its greatness.

Too bad. If you get the chance at some point, it's definitely worth it in a true IMAX theater. It's a completely different experience than watching it on streaming.

maybe. they'll run them together before it goes to streaming. I'd be down for 6 hours at the theatre (assuming part deux rocks)

So annoying how these advanced civilizations have spaceships and advanced tech but they cant put in one simple Tesla park-recall button on their freakin' flying space capable vessel.
Everytime its running to their ship from people or monster pursuing them, getting by mouse hair etc...
Only few well writen ones where creator actually think things through... IIRC Mando had it in 1st season with his original ship, he was running away and called it up on autopilot.

Last edited:
Thx you captured my thoughts perfect. The older movie wasnt perfect I agree far from it but it captured part of the allure and universe of Herbert. The depressing thing about modern Hollywood is that the viewer gets treated like a toddler. Like you wrote asking something of the audience. Make connections for yourself , while most modern blockbusters treat you like a mildly retarded 12 year old. The Blade Runner Remake was imo the exact same thing. Smooth and beautiful on the surface but lacked every depth the original had.

And as good as the CGI at times was, the fighting was idiotic sequences of wu shu like ballet movements.Again with the age thing it looks like an 8year old would fantasize about fighting.

nuxb2pzovgx71.gif

killed by Fremen "crotch in ya face" deathblow.
7ff.gif

First one was visually stunning but overall 'meh'.
All the time I was watching it and thinking "when is the suspense or something coming?". Then the movie ended.

I forgot everything about the movie the next day. I remember there's sand and this huge caterpillar. And witches of some sort. Apart from that, I'm drawing a blank.

It'll think part of what made me like Dune was that I experienced zero promo or anticipatory stuff for it. Somehow I dodged it all without meaning to. Then it was on during a flight, I watched it, and was really impressed. I think I'll try the same approach with this one.

Had the same experience. Even on yhe tiny flight screen with shitty headphones my girlfriend and I were transfixed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that comes close, visually and tonally. Some of the fighting acrobatics/cgi were a bit silly but the overall visual and audio impact were truly incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back