Opinion It is not bigoted to want a homogenized American culture.

Everybody brings their culture with them. I was born, raised, and grew up in the Southwest, where Mexican culture is very prominent. These days I live in the Midwest, where German and Norwegian culture is very prominent.
I never lived anywhere where houses flew German and Norwegian flags until I moved here.
I had never heard of Krampus at Christmas time until I moved here.
I had never heard of a tradition where St. Nicholas is different than Santa, and you leave your shoes in the hallway or whatever the fuck it is, for weird little gifts to be put inside them, until I moved here.

But no one is screaming at those people to “assimilate,” strangely enough. Trevor Noah does a comedy bit where he talks about moving to the US from Africa. His friend learns that Trevor has never had tacos before, and says “But bruhhhhh! There’s nothing more American than tacos!”

All of these cultures and traditions co-mingle over time, but also retain some of their uniqueness. It’s going to be ok.

Hmm. I think we’ll have to find a substitute for the apple pie, as that was brought over by immigrants. There weren’t even native apple trees here in America, the Europeans planted them when they immigrated.

Most immigrants assimilate to the culture pretty well. As always, liberals prioritize the ones that don't.

My family was here before yours, assimilate or get the fuck out!

Dude... moved to Texas 18 years... I'm more than assimilated. Got divorced 3+ years, dated almost exclusively hispanic girls (among a few other). Lots of drama, but lots of.... fun too.

I'm a "When in Rome" kind of guy.

Dating a Peruvian girl now.

The republicans are called bigots for wanting this, but I kind of agree with them on this matter despite having liberal views on other issues.

We can be a country of many races, but if those races don't unify towards a strong foundational culture and ethic, it will lead to Balkanization. This is how every large empire ultimately falls; they over expand and have too many conflicting cultures and ideas within it and eventually population and resources will begin dividing the people into various ethnic groups most often based on language and culture.

For this reason, there is nothing wrong with demanding every citizen of this country assimilate into a generic American culture.
TS,
is this fair:
race%20whiteeeb3%20(2).jpeg

The US was supposed to be a melting pot.

That means blending together which was a "leftist " idea and had to be pushed.

Now the left wants separate but some more privileged then others.

The melting pot was about set a values and ideas to move forward for all races and backgrounds.

That is no longer the case and without it we are being pushed to separate which will destroy the US.

So no despite the left screaming racist at any and everything the melting pot is not a racist idea.
I always loved my history teachers take.

“we were supposed to be a melting pot. We became a chopped salad”

I don't know if I would call that bigoted but I think the bigger issue is it's an unrealistic goal. Your energy is better spent on finding ways to keep the country running even with everyone having different culture and views on things. Which IMO we are doing just fine.

Well, get to the details. What makes up this generic American culture?

The greatest human accomplishment of all time was putting a man on the moon. To see how we got there, we need to look at the culture that dominated the landscape the previous 50 years. I say we return to that culture. It was patriarchal, rigid in demands to allegiance to the country and Constitution, very nuclear family based, and very unaccommodating to cultures which were antithetical to the standard. Japan today is like this, and their country is flourishing with little crime. No reason we can't do this in America despite being of different racial background. One country, one culture, many races.

Everybody brings their culture with them. I was born, raised, and grew up in the Southwest, where Mexican culture is very prominent. These days I live in the Midwest, where German and Norwegian culture is very prominent.
I never lived anywhere where houses flew German and Norwegian flags until I moved here.
I had never heard of Krampus at Christmas time until I moved here.
I had never heard of a tradition where St. Nicholas is different than Santa, and you leave your shoes in the hallway or whatever the fuck it is, for weird little gifts to be put inside them, until I moved here.

But no one is screaming at those people to “assimilate,” strangely enough. Trevor Noah does a comedy bit where he talks about moving to the US from Africa. His friend learns that Trevor has never had tacos before, and says “But bruhhhhh! There’s nothing more American than tacos!”

All of these cultures and traditions co-mingle over time, but also retain some of their uniqueness. It’s going to be ok.

Hmm. I think we’ll have to find a substitute for the apple pie, as that was brought over by immigrants. There weren’t even native apple trees here in America, the Europeans planted them when they immigrated.

Try that in a small town, lad.

TS,
is this fair:
race%20whiteeeb3%20(2).jpeg

The problem with White Americans is they have been beaten down by our media and academia over the last decades to hate themselves and to be ashamed for their race. It's strange for me to see. My stepson one told me he was ashamed of being White because of the destruction of Native American society and the slavery of Black Americans by European colonizers. I told him to not be ashamed because the Native Americans were killing each other for thousands of years before the Europeans arrived. I also told him that the Brown Ottomans had taken millions of White Europeans as slaves. Yet, to this day he feels ashamed. It's tragic stuff.

The greatest human accomplishment of all time was putting a man on the moon. To see how we got there, we need to look at the culture that dominated the landscape the previous 50 years. I say we return to that culture. It was patriarchal, rigid in demands to allegiance to the country and Constitution, very nuclear family based, and very unaccommodating to cultures which were antithetical to the standard. Japan today is like this, and their country is flourishing with little crime. No reason we can't do this in America despite being of different racial background. One country, one culture, many races.
You just said you want to return to a culture 50 years previous to putting a man on the moon and then ended that with asking for a society of many races. I wonder if you know what the culture was like to non whites in the years you are yearning for?

It's a good thing we're a Constitutional republic where in each State has the authority to self-govern provided they don't violate rights found in the Constitution then, huh ?

Well if you know that then your whole premise is impossible. You can't force people to act "culturally" in any way. Even though you're not even defining what that even is.

I'm from your neck of the woods. I also am a Brown man and a child of immigrants. I'm also not a Christian. So now that your two big BS claims are dead on arrival, what's your next tactic to race bait ?

It's a good thing we're a Constitutional republic where in each State has the authority to self-govern provided they don't violate rights found in the Constitution then, huh ?
how would you self govern to force conformity without violating the constitution?

TS sounds like he'd be all for the return of those American Indian boarding schools that wanted to "homogenize" the natives to be more civilized.

What do we mean by “generic American culture” exactly?

The fact that all these doofs fail to realize (or intentionally ignore) is that there is no one American culture. There never has been.

I have no idea how people like the TS define culture. I'd love for one of them to give their definition of it. By any definition I'm aware of, the USA is and always has been culturally diverse. Are you "muh culture' bros trying to tell me that the customs, social short-hand, food, and shared history are the same in Louisiana as in Idaho?

The whole idea of giving States some autonomy over their governance is specifically because different groups of people in different geographic regions have different rituals, social norms, food, and shared history... AKA culture, and want their more localized government to reflect that.

It is impossible for even the most united of cultures to have the exact same accent, means, and ways. I'm not asking for something that impossibly rigid. I'm asking for an overlapping culture with ideas and goals which the country fights for and works towards. How is this, in any way, bigoted ?

Isn't that just liberalism? As reflected in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, Lincoln, Lazarus, MLK, Obama, etc.?

Back