Law South Korea aims to ban eating dogs by ‘27 *Update: Parliamentary committee passes bill

panem-et-circenses

In the garden
Reaction score
South Korea aims to ban eating dog meat and put an end to the controversy over the ancient custom amid growing awareness of animal rights, a ruling party policy chief said on Friday.”

"It is time to put an end to social conflicts and controversies around dog meat consumption through the enactment of a special act to end it," Yu Eui-dong, policy chief of the ruling People Power Party, said at a meeting with government officials and animal rights activists.

Eating dog meat has been an age-old practice on the Korean peninsula and is seen as a way to beat the summer heat.”

The government and ruling party would introduce a bill this year to enforce a ban, Yu said, adding that with expected bipartisan support, the bill should sail through parliament.

Reuters

If the bill passes, it’s great news for our best friends. I guess I never got myself worked up about it, but apparently significant pressure from the west and Korea’s youth culture has brought about this potential change.

War dogs. Forever.

If the bill passes, it’s great news for our best friends. I guess I never got myself worked up about it, but apparently significant pressure from the west and Korea’s youth culture has brought about this potential change.

War dogs. Forever.

Me either, because it simply isn't particularly outrageous from any real objective standpoint. We are culturally and socially conditioned - from our own personal interaction with dogs if nothing else - to find the idea unthinkable, and Koreans haven't been. Yet, they're still looking to change law around it so credit to them and good for dogs.

Me either, because it simply isn't particularly outrageous from any real objective standpoint. We are culturally and socially conditioned - from our own personal interaction with dogs if nothing else - to find the idea unthinkable, and Koreans haven't been. Yet, they're still looking to change law around it so credit to them and good for dogs.

That’s true.

At the same time, I am disgusted by killing dolphins, even though we haven’t been conditioned to love or revere them, at least I don’t think we have, really. I petted one once, though. And we should support our troops (attack dolphins).

Endangered species, too. Im a softy. I know my ancestors probably had to eat a whale, but they can stop now.

Lol at waiting 3 years they could do it immediately if they wanted to.

Maybe. The reason given in the article is the failures of past attempts — the food industry pulled its weight. The government wants to put in place a financial out for dog meat producers, and the bigger firms.

I thought only mainland chinese/fake Koreans do this. Or so I've heard nearly 10 years ago.

images

Wish they'd done that a bit earlier.

I know two people who ate dog before and they said it was the tastiest meat they have ever eaten. Do with that what you will.

Eh it doesn't matter. I believe only a few thousand restaurants are left that serve dog. They will probably still have it after the ban but you have to ask for it rather than see it on a menu. I spoke to some Korean folks. There seems to be some distinction between pet dogs vs what they call country dogs which are meant to be eaten.

I don't think even America has a total ban on eating dogs. You just can't buy or sell it. Only a few states have a total ban.

Dogs are better than people. Koreans should just eat other people instead.

Another push for eating worms and crickets, eh?..

P.s. the Swiss have been eating dogs for centuries. I don't see much news about the Swiss in the media.

P.p.s.s. As a former vegetarian and, hopefully, future resumed vegetarian I am all for banning any animal meat consumption, i.e. mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, AND insects.

Reactions: Gio
Back