Law Florida - Senate passes Republican sponsored Bill to outlaw lab-grown meat. DeSantis supports ban

I you’re the first conservative not on board with the ban in almost 4 pages.

This is just more cronyism. Fucking disappointing to see so many people siding with this obviously corrupt decision.
Thank you for this. I don't really identify as a conservative.

Unless you do think I'm one and missed my post lol

There isn't a meat scarcity. Putting farmers and fishermen out of business is the whole point of the thing. It there to replace it, not add to it.
Okay but would it put them out of business? The way I see it, there are a lot of people who don't want to go for lab meat. They'd much rather have the real thing. They would continue to buy. People who are vegan or have issues with animal processing would be able to eat good protein.

Bring on the brainless chicken millipedes with 1000 drumsticks.
...and the more exotic meats.
Not that I'm a fan of long pig, but Kuru free?
I'd put a chicken millipede in the smoker and have a party

Why not? Whats the need for it? Why do we want this? I'll eat cows and chickens like people have done for eons.

The meat industry is super destructive, and necessitates a large portion of the entire planet's arable land being used.

Without even referencing the fact that there are billions of animals being essentially tortured and slaughtered every day across the globe, there are very clear reasons to embrace cultivated meat. We could free up truly enormous tracts of land that could revert to whole worlds of recovered green spaces - meaning biodiversity buffers and carbon sequestering. All very important things, even if you're as much of an absolute moron as super Nintendo and declare that global warming is a myth- which it of course isn't- there's still very good reasons to move toward cultured animal protein production.

The technology isn't there yet, but it will be and the sooner the better. If you had a slab of manufactured meat on your countertop right now, you probably wouldn't need to refrigerate it abd you probably wouldn't have yo ve very careful cleaning up after preparing and cooking it because virtually all of the harmful microorganisms associated with raw meat are because of fecal contamination. Grow animal protein without all the other unwanted parts of the animal (like fur, excretory systems, etc.) And you've produced only what you want without any of the metaphorical and literal shit you don't want.

It's the way forward. This is a clear cut example of big business Republicans greedily handicapping an emergent industry because of existing business interests having their hands on the political levers

About 20 percent or earth's land surface is used to directly support livestock production. Thats 20 percent of the whole earth, 2.5 BILLION hectares, which equates to 50% of the habitable land.

That's a truly insane amount of land, and this is JUST the land used for livestock. It doesn't include non meat agriculture and it also doesn't include the total destruction of the ocean we are continuing to unleash for marine protein.

There are other concerns like the amount of manure and greenhouse gasses produced, or the animal welfare issues, or the fact that billions of doses of antibiotics are used in animal agriculture which we know is eventually going to generate superbugs we won't be able to control.

All these are very concerning as well, but JUST the arable land issue is way more than enough reason to look at how we can diminish the chokehold that animal agriculture has on our planet.

I'd put a chicken millipede in the smoker and have a party

Lab grown meat has been such a staple of Science Fiction, that by the time it's a consumer reality on supermarket shelves, it's bound to be an anti-climax.

Not sure why you'd ban it, it's already heavily regulated.
I'd absolutely give it a try, although I'm not anticipating decent lab grown kangaroo steaks anytime soon.
Here's a promotional spiel from Upside (one of the 2 FDA approved companies).

Okay but would it put them out of business? The way I see it, there are a lot of people who don't want to go for lab meat. They'd much rather have the real thing. They would continue to buy. People who are vegan or have issues with animal processing would be able to eat good protein.
Well that is the goal of it and they say so explicitly. It's not really a matter of "the free market", as some here have pretended, since subsidies and venture capital control the supply and price supports. Subsidies and capital investments already have a major impact on people's diets. You can already see for the last several decades how effectively subsidies and capital can steer people's diets with crop subsidies. Corn, wheat, soy and sugar are heavily subsidized so they put that shit in everything.

If you agree that most people don't want to go for lab meat, and would much rather have the real thing, then you should support bills like this now and not 5 years from now when the conversation has shifted over to lobbying firms writing speeches for congress about why we need to be an example for the world and flood the lab meat industry with billions in subsidies to save the planet.

We're also not just talking about you picking out a steak or a piece of fish at the grocery store, one of the biggest factors in managing the demand side is restaurants and food ingredients in other items. If I run a massive investment company and put several billion into lab meat, and I now tell the CEO of all the fast food places that switching to lab meat will increase their ESG score and tank it if they don't, then they all switch and say "start your own McDonald's then, chuds", and the price of real meat goes through the roof.

Florida sure loves adding laws. DeSantis proves again he'd be an awful President.

I won't touch that meat, but I don't care what others do.

Why wouldn't you touch it? How discerning are you in the meat you do eat? Do you insist on free range, grass fed organic beef or are you cool with consuming much cheaper feedlot meat?

Why wouldn't you touch it? How discerning are you in the meat you do eat? Do you insist on free range, grass fed organic beef or are you cool with consuming much cheaper feedlot meat?
Very discerning. Most of the meat I eat comes from smaller farms, many of them family-run.

Would anyone try human meat if it was lab grown from stem cells or something?

Nah, authentic only for me brother. I'd eat lab grown panda though, I could never eat a real one of those.

Very discerning. Most of the meat I eat comes from smaller farms, many of them family-run.
We're quite fortunate to live where such things are a lot easier to come by. We buy local wherever possible and it comprises the vast majority of our food consumption, whether it be meat, fish, or produce. We wouldn't have it any other way, either.

Having said that, though, I would not be worried about safety so much as nutritional value, taste, and texture when it comes to artificially produced meat. I also worry about the effects on the immune system of abandoning animals for lab grown meat. I have no idea if that's an issue at all, but you know, possible unintended consequences and all that. We'll see, I guess.

The meat industry is super destructive, and necessitates a large portion of the entire planet's arable land being used.

Without even referencing the fact that there are billions of animals being essentially tortured and slaughtered every day across the globe, there are very clear reasons to embrace cultivated meat. We could free up truly enormous tracts of land that could revert to whole worlds of recovered green spaces - meaning biodiversity buffers and carbon sequestering. All very important things, even if you're as much of an absolute moron as super Nintendo and declare that global warming is a myth- which it of course isn't- there's still very good reasons to move toward cultured animal protein production.

The technology isn't there yet, but it will be and the sooner the better. If you had a slab of manufactured meat on your countertop right now, you probably wouldn't need to refrigerate it abd you probably wouldn't have yo ve very careful cleaning up after preparing and cooking it because virtually all of the harmful microorganisms associated with raw meat are because of fecal contamination. Grow animal protein without all the other unwanted parts of the animal (like fur, excretory systems, etc.) And you've produced only what you want without any of the metaphorical and literal shit you don't want.

It's the way forward. This is a clear cut example of big business Republicans greedily handicapping an emergent industry because of existing business interests having their hands on the political levers
global warming is a grift, cultivated meat is a grift, and you're the cheerleading NPC

global warming is a grift, cultivated meat is a grift, and you're the cheerleading NPC

So brave, so edgy. Look at you, undercutting the combined expertise of the world's scientists. What a stud. Equal parts intellectual brilliance to know whats really going on and heroism to have the balls to stand up and type it, on a karate forum.

Inspiring. Brave.

Back