• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Fight day weights for UFC 298

electric81

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
GHXfvVnXwAAHFgh

GHXfvVqWMAAxjTB

https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1762560837930070338

I thought if your variance was greater than 10%, you were forced to go up a weight class on your next fight in CA. Is that still the case? Or am I mistaken about that requirement?

I thought if your variance was greater than 10%, you were forced to go up a weight class on your next fight in CA. Is that still the case? Or am I mistaken about that requirement?
Not quite. It's confusing.
  • 10% was the initial idea, back before they started gathering data (fight night weights). It was part of their "10 point plan".
  • After a few years of gathering data, they found that half of fighters were 10% or more. Way higher than anyone expected.
  • They changed it to 15%. Or maybe 14.7%. Back when Costa v Romero happened (and Romero was just under threshold and Costa was over). And they actually put in place a policy. But even then they didn't want to; Aspen Ladd forced their hand.
    • This is when they forced a few fighters to either move up, or "submit a plan" for staying. Including Costa. A serious lack of teeth....but still more than anyone else was doing.
  • And now? Apparently there's no regulation anymore; just back to fact gathering. Full circle you might say.
I applaud them for trying. But no one (UFC, other states, etc) supported, joined or helped them. And I'm pretty sure most of the fans don't care either.

Last edited:
Considering how bad Lemos looks during weigh-ins and the career weight issues Dern has had, the most surprising thing on here for me is how little both of them rehydrated. If you told me 2 women competed at 127 and just under 124, I'd ask when the UFC started doing atomweight. A combined 16% increase? 6 fighters alone had 16% or higher.

Extreme weight cutting makes it borderline normal for the the 145 title to be fought at 167 pounds. This shit's insane

Back