Media Fight day weights for UFC 298

I thought if your variance was greater than 10%, you were forced to go up a weight class on your next fight in CA. Is that still the case? Or am I mistaken about that requirement?
They'll suggest you do, but have no rightful ability to force you. Most of the cards aren't in Cali. So they're mostly powerless on this type of thing. Mostly just data collection for study purposes.

Some of those increases are fucking ridiculous.

This level of weight-cutting is a truly shameful aspect of the sport and more should be done to curb it, IMHO.

Some of those increases are fucking ridiculous.

This level of weight-cutting is a truly shameful aspect of the sport and more should be done to curb it, IMHO.
Agreed. Geoff neal weighing more than kopylov is insane. Garrys weight is the same as a very big lightweight. Geoffs is a kind of small middleweight

Not quite. It's confusing.
  • 10% was the initial idea, back before they started gathering data (fight night weights). It was part of their "10 point plan".
  • After a few years of gathering data, they found that half of fighters were 10% or more. Way higher than anyone expected.
  • They changed it to 15%. Or maybe 14.7%. Back when Costa v Romero happened (and Romero was just under threshold and Costa was over). And they actually put in place a policy. But even then they didn't want to; Aspen Ladd forced their hand.
    • This is when they forced a few fighters to either move up, or "submit a plan" for staying. Including Costa. A serious lack of teeth....but still more than anyone else was doing.
  • And now? Apparently there's no regulation anymore; just back to fact gathering. Full circle you might say.
I applaud them for trying. But no one (UFC, other states, etc) supported, joined or helped them. And I'm pretty sure most of the fans don't care either.

They've basically solved the weight cutting problem already but neither the UFC nor any states care about this.

They've basically solved the weight cutting problem already but neither the UFC nor any states care about this.

They only care about fighter safety when the camera is on. Of course it's not the promotions job to make sure the right people fight in the right weight classes, but they should incentize it.

I've always had an idea of how to do this, in a way that is fair, easy to understand for the viewer and uses free market economic ideas to guide fighters into the correct weight classes.

Maybe I'll make a thread about it later, this thread kinda helps me to explain it.

Last edited:
Fascinating, great thread, thanks. I would love to know the fighters actual octagon fight weighs for every event, it would be really interesting. I had no clue Geoff Neal was that heavy.. I would have guessed around 185 on fight night!. Very interesting.

Ian gotta be one of the smaller WWs to only hydrate 10lbs. Hes tall for division but skinny. This explains the massive speed advantage he had. Geoff was a borderline LHW in there and could hardly track him.

Merab 156.8 VS Henry 150.6

If Ian Garry cut the same amount of weight percentage wise as Merab he would make 156. If he dieted 0.5 pound more he would make championship weight.

I don't think being 15/20 pounds lighter than your opponent is gonna work when the opponent is really good. Dude should diet like 2 to 5 pounds and go down. I wouldn't be surprised if Islam weighs more than him.

They need to end this weight cutting shit tough. Whatever the method it will have flaws. But as the system is right now it's like no one is even trying to do shit. Athletes health is severy compromised by these brutal weight cuts and for what?
At least give both camps the option to fight at a higher weight. If both fighters arrive fight week on pace to make weight why not just let the camps move the fight up? Why do you want to see both guys cut from 175 to 155 and then rehydrate back? It's retarded. Just let them fight at 170 if both teams agree. Why the fuck not?

Costa and Neal, that's a big cut. Both guys came in a 30+ over the actual divisional weight.

Back