Media Fight day weights for UFC 298

Thanks man. My first account was from 2004 but left the forum around 2007 only to come back in 2009. Now I just mainly creep now. Ya these guys are weight bullies. No clue why they cut.

I had one in 2008. But being 18 in the balkans without proper english and anger management issues, obviously I didn't have it for a long time.

"Weight bully" is an idiotic term and the same can be said for the associated narratives surrounding it. No one really bothers to think it through before trying to misguidedly label whatever fighter has gained their ire with what amounts to a scarlet letter. It makes no sense to give fighters shit for cutting weight in general in modern MMA... and I say that as someone who would like to see weight cutting as an institution dealt away with.

"weight bully"!?!? yeah that doesn't exist. being able to cut extreme weight and fighting at the lowest possible weight class does NOT translate into always having an advantage. there's often diminishing returns. watch pitbull's recent performance against Sergio pettis, or hendo getting smoked by Jake shields. just two examples off the top of my head that support the notion that this "weight bully" phenomenon you speak of doesn't exist. don't get me wrong, it works for some. but come on

"Weight bully" is an idiotic term and the same can be said for the associated narratives surrounding it. No one really bothers to think it through before trying to misguidedly label whatever fighter has gained their ire with what amounts to a scarlet letter. It makes no sense to give fighters shit for cutting weight in general in modern MMA... and I say that as someone who would like to see weight cutting as an institution dealt away with.
I don't know why it triggers folk so much, to me it just seems like an easy / descriptive term for someone who is 'an extreme weight cutter compared to others in their weight class'.

No wonder Magny beat Neil, a fight Geof should've dominated. Cutting 30 pounds can cause fitness swings like mood swings. Playing roulette. Lol Costa +40.

I'm glad CSAC publishes these numbers. They're fascinating to see. Weight cutting sucks and is taxing on the body, especially the organs.

It's crazy that Merab, Volk, and Ilia cut ~22 pounds when they fight at 135 and 145 respectively.

For some perspective: I cut 11 pounds overnight in high school once to make weight at 119, and it was absolutely miserable.

The next year I moved up 3 weight classes to 135, with my lean weight at the start of the season at 145. My coach was probably expecting me to wrestle at 130, but there's a huge difference in cutting 10 vs 15 pounds when you have no bad weight. I felt much better during competition, even though I faced the occasional much heavier opponent.

I couldn't imagine cutting 22 pounds like those 3. You feel like crap, dehydrated, hungry, and sleeping can be hard too. Granted, I'm sure they're much more scientific about it than a high school wrestler, but it still sucks.

I don't know why it triggers folk so much, to me it just seems like an easy / descriptive term for someone who is 'an extreme weight cutter compared to others in their weight class'.
The word "bully" in this context places an undeniably negative connotation on the practice and the fighter in question. Personally I would just say "Fighter X cuts a lot of weight" or "is big for the division". Still gets the point across, but without the same inherent stigma.

Imagine if I singled out one of the division's best knockout artists and instead of calling him such I called him a "power-bully". No one's going to think that I'm simply describing his punching power disparity relative to his peers, they're going to assume that I'm calling him some brute who uses his explosiveness as a crutch to catch and KO technically better dudes regardless of whether that's true. Same as if I describe a particularly durable fighter as a "chin bully".

It's dumb IMO.

I'm glad CSAC publishes these numbers. They're fascinating to see. Weight cutting sucks and is taxing on the body, especially the organs.

It's crazy that Merab, Volk, and Ilia cut ~22 pounds when they fight at 135 and 145 respectively.

For some perspective: I cut 11 pounds overnight in high school once to make weight at 119, and it was absolutely miserable.

The next year I moved up 3 weight classes to 135, with my lean weight at the start of the season at 145. My coach was probably expecting me to wrestle at 130, but there's a huge difference in cutting 10 vs 15 pounds when you have no bad weight. I felt much better during competition, even though I faced the occasional much heavier opponent.

I couldn't imagine cutting 22 pounds like those 3. You feel like crap, dehydrated, hungry, and sleeping can be hard too. Granted, I'm sure they're much more scientific about it than a high school wrestler, but it still sucks.

As you said!

I used to cut 5-6kg (weight 75, fighting in the <70) so around 12 pounds, and it was a very unpleasant and unhealthy process at 18-19 years old … cutting 30 pounds as an adult must be absolutely awful feeling, as well as awful for short and long term wellbeing.

I know there are no clear solutions to weight cutting, with hydration and other tests only partially offering a way to curb it, but it’s really the most dangerous practice in combat sports, as well as being completely unnecessary if a level playing field could be controlled (if everyone just fought at their “real” weight, they’d still face the exact same guys just in a different class).

dude.. way to get aggro for no reason.. how about Manny Pacquiao do you think he found his lowest weight and stayed there as long as he could? How about Canelo? Aldo? BJ Penn? Fedor Emelianenko? Dan Henderson? Anderson Silva?

Minowa...

Royce Gracie...

Mike Tyson fought at heavyweight when he was only 217 lbs.. could have easily made Cruiserweight 200 lbs...

Sakuraba.

Dude... you just came at me saying The BEST champions fight their lowest weight and stay there as long as they can... You are full of shit..

Show me the examples going back to the 70s... of the great champions cutting massive weight to keep their belts?

The best champs we have ever had are Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson, Anderson Silva, GSP... none of them were weight bullies... other than Jon Jones all of them could fight even smaller or did... GSP is modern LW.. Anderson literally was a ranked WW... DJ was one of the smallest FLW on the roster... Fedor was a chubby 5 ft 10 HW who could have fought at MW... Mirko Cro Cop could have fought LHW without a doubt..

I am litterally someone who usually likes your posts and I am a big Alex Pereira fan... but you are being dumb about weight cutting and I think it looks defensive as shit for no reason.
GSP in no way was 180lbs or lower on fight night, thats what modern LW's fight at, he wasnt a crazy cutter but i dont think he fought that low, Garry and Covington might be the lightest WW ever.

Damn Garry isn't a big weight cutter, only 10lbs. Also crazy Volk is only 166lbs rehydrated, wasn't he supposed to weigh more than Islam on fight day?
<Kpop01>

You know he fought Islam at LW, and this fight was at FW, right?

How many hours till their respective fight?
Maybe they put on even more.
Do they all get weighed in a span of an hour? Because they fight many hours apart.

Well that explains how Costa took some of those combos like it was nothing.
And why Garry couldn't finish Magny despite landing a hundred punches.
He should fight at 155, with his height, he would be a problem there.

Last edited:
Ninja you old
It's part of why all his posts reek of early onset dementia

Golem is always 1 post away from a yellow no matter the thread.
He basically pays to not get banned at this point

I'm glad CSAC publishes these numbers. They're fascinating to see.
More data is always good, imo. California has had several good measures to improve MMA as a sport and for the fighters

So Ian Garry was 20 pounds lighter than Geoff Neal?
Wow!

I was waiting to see this. It took so long I pretty much forgot about it.

These numbers are always pretty interesting. How much weight will a Power Slapper gain between the weigh-in, and match? It’s legal there now. I want to see those numbers.

Neal has the highest officially recorded fight night weight of any UFC WW who has ever fought in Cali. Costa has the highest officially recorded fight night weight of any UFC MW who has ever fought in Cali. I'm not claiming they are definitely the biggest in their weight class, I'm just going off of officially recorded fight night weights of UFC fighters in Cali. Alex when he was fighting at MW, supposedly came in as high as 218 (according to himself). Note that we are not talking about "walking around weight", where some fighters balloon

My boy Kopylov is probably the only true MW in the top 15. He needs to hop on the secret juice and learn some cutting techniques if he ever wants to sniff a title shot :/

The word "bully" in this context places an undeniably negative connotation on the practice and the fighter in question. Personally I would just say "Fighter X cuts a lot of weight" or "is big for the division". Still gets the point across, but without the same inherent stigma.

Imagine if I singled out one of the division's best knockout artists and instead of calling him such I called him a "power-bully". No one's going to think that I'm simply describing his punching power disparity relative to his peers, they're going to assume that I'm calling him some brute who uses his explosiveness as a crutch to catch and KO technically better dudes regardless of whether that's true. Same as if I describe a particularly durable fighter as a "chin bully".

It's dumb IMO.
Except they don’t make divisions based on power, they do it on weight

Except they don’t make divisions based on power, they do it on weight
Yeah and so long as every fighter meets their contractually-obligated weight for the division in question at the time of weigh-ins, then they're kosher. Weight classes are not based on rehydrated cage weight.

Back