Media Fight day weights for UFC 298

Costa putting on nearly 30 lbs lol, absolute mad man <Lmaoo>
In just a day. That's crazy.

And this is him after 3 months of training camp and dieting to be a MW.

Man this dude off season must be 235 lmao.

In just a day. That's crazy.

And this is him after 3 months of training camp and dieting to be a MW.

Man this dude off season must be 235 lmao.
Costa should just move up to LHW. He will still be a good sized LHW. It worked well for Pereira, since he is now LHW Champ. 215 pounds Fight Night for Costa is incredible.

Maybe I'm missing something but surely Marcos Rogerio de Lima isn't cutting to make HW, and isn't cutting an extra 4 lbs at that? I can only guess that his event weight is him fully clothed.. likely shoes and all?

Costa already is a LHW and has been for some time. He just happens to fight at 185lbs.
Putting on 29.7lbs the next day easily qualifies for weight bully territory.

There should be a max weight they can rehydrate to and if they go over they should be fined.

Costa putting on nearly 30 lbs lol, absolute mad man <Lmaoo>

Costa already is a LHW and has been for some time. He just happens to fight at 185lbs.
Putting on 29.7lbs the next day easily qualifies for weight bully territory.

There should be a max weight they can rehydrate to and if they go over they should be fined.

Dude...there are way worst offenders there, Costa is no slouch but Neal and Merab are something else.

He use to put on like 45 pounds. Actually quite a bit lighter on 298.
What are you talking about? He was 217lbs vs Romero and that was his heaviest on record.

No wonder Magny beat Neil, a fight Geof should've dominated. Cutting 30 pounds can cause fitness swings like mood swings. Playing roulette. Lol Costa +40.

It's been 14 years, but this video still baffles me.

Tito got up to 251 lbs, the night before the fight.

He claims it was 6 bags of IV and a big meal.

Maybe he's holding a weight while on the scale. I don't know, but it haunts me.

If you use the term, "Weight bully," you are officially queer and weak.

Part of being a professional fighter = getting weight-cutting down.
Finding your best, lowest weight come fight night.

If other people suck at this, don't have the physique for it, or don't take this aspect seriously ... that is their problem.

True professionals take weight-cutting VERY seriously, and stack every possible element to their advantage.

To do anything else = a lack of professionalism.

IronGolem007 queer confirmed

To be honest, your opinion as an obvious and hard-core Alex Poatan Pereira fan makes you extremely biased in any discussion about weight cutting as he is, at this point, one of the most known guys for extreme weight cutting.

That said, I agree that weight cutting is simply part of the sport and learning how to do it correctly and professionaly is a skill you need to have as a mixed martial artist.

Where I disagree is you not seeming to understand that the LOWEST weight isn't always the best weight... there are guys that used weight cutting to their advantage but got destroyed for it... look at Anthony Johnson RIP at WW... dude was either knocking you out or getting dominated if you lasted 5 minutes..

A lot of guys have historically not really cut very much weight like Frankie Edgar, Izzy Adesanya, Stephen Thompson, Anderson Silva, or Colby Covington and did very well... hell in this very thread... Ian Garry weighed 10 lbs more than the 170 lb limit? He won that fight after barely cutting weight against a guy who cut 30 lbs...

I wish we got to see these stats for every fight... I think it would be interesting to be able to see actual statistics to weight cut vs win % over thousands of fights... a weight advantage isn't always an advantage.

Who gives AF what "a lotta guys" have done.

I have been watching the fight game since the mid-70s.

The best Champions find "their lowest weight" ... and stay there as long as they can.

To be honest, your opinion as an obvious and hard-core Alex Poatan Pereira fan makes you extremely biased in any discussion about weight cutting as he is, at this point, one of the most known guys for extreme weight cutting.

That said, I agree that weight cutting is simply part of the sport and learning how to do it correctly and professionaly is a skill you need to have as a mixed martial artist.

Where I disagree is you not seeming to understand that the LOWEST weight isn't always the best weight... there are guys that used weight cutting to their advantage but got destroyed for it... look at Anthony Johnson RIP at WW... dude was either knocking you out or getting dominated if you lasted 5 minutes..

A lot of guys have historically not really cut very much weight like Frankie Edgar, Izzy Adesanya, Stephen Thompson, Anderson Silva, or Colby Covington and did very well... hell in this very thread... Ian Garry weighed 10 lbs more than the 170 lb limit? He won that fight after barely cutting weight against a guy who cut 30 lbs...

I wish we got to see these stats for every fight... I think it would be interesting to be able to see actual statistics to weight cut vs win % over thousands of fights... a weight advantage isn't always an advantage.
I am not volunteering for it, but I bet there is enough data to do a metanalysis of weight loss and win/loss, but there are a lot of additional variables that would need to be factored in to the study. Losses by knockouts, or performance later in the fight could also be interesting things to look at.

Then again, dumbass judges might make it impossible to fully know the true effects.

The weight bully part was a joke. Expected you to know.

For some reason I calculated that Costa cut 40 pounds and wanted to share. In any case interesting seeing the numbers. Like Ian just cutting 10.

The weight bully part was a joke. Expected you to know.

For some reason I calculated that Costa cut 40 pounds and wanted to share. In any case interesting seeing the numbers. Like Ian just cutting 10.
I noted in another thread that had this data - that Pascall (Jnr Tafa) did a negative percentage lollolol

The data really is good to have, I would like it if we got it from every event.

Back