Social Outrage over Maine lavishing $34M on 'Taj Mahal' apartments for asylum seekers and welcoming 75,000 newcomers this decade while leaving veterans and h

So according to you, everyone that has a court date should get taxpayer funded housing to make sure they show up?
No, but it's a effectively necessary measure given asylum applicants cannot work, unlike normal citizens. We can work or receive benefits.

Again, from a purely utilitarian perspective, if you're hoping to keep the asylum process moving as quickly as possible, not granting them housing is a surefire way to make the system even more leaky.

So according to you, everyone that has a court date should get taxpayer funded housing to make sure they show up?
Covid made Zoom court cool so maybe provide a tablet of some sort

BUter.jpg

Cool. Where do you house them in the meantime, and how would you expedite the process and maintain due process?

Put them in tents for all I care. I care more for our homeless population than random immigrants who illegally came here.

You realize you can't just like...deport thousands of folks within 24 hours? I love you're most likely skeptical of government's ability to do things efficiently, but nope, this is definitely the one thing the government can do at the drop of the hat. Sure.

No one is saying 24 hours. I said months. The recent immigration bill that was rejected in Congress expedited the process to 6 months. The current time to process asylum cases is YEARS.

Put them in tents for all I care. I care more for our homeless population than random immigrants who illegally came here.
If only the US had the money to put both homeless folks and migrants in decent housing as the wealthiest country in the world. Oh wait, we do.

To be clear, if the climate is tolerable enough and tents is all there is, fair enough. But let's not pretend that the government needs to choose between solving homelessness and housing migrants. That's a hilariously false dichotomy.
No one is saying 24 hours. I said months. The recent immigration bill that was rejected in Congress expedited the process to 6 months. The current time to process asylum cases is YEARS.
Yeah...hence my point that "just deport them" is a non-starter of a solution. It's pure fantasyland, like a balanced budget amendment. The GOP has no interest in solving this migrant crisis because they've given up any interest in governance. It's just pure political theater at this point.

If only the US had the money to put both homeless folks and migrants in decent housing as the wealthiest country in the world. Oh wait, we do.

All the immigrants are coming to expensive cities like New York and Chicago it would cost a fortune to house them here. We already have a homeless problem that we haven't been able to solve for years. Why TF would I want even more illegal immigrants exacerbating the problem?

We're the wealthiest nation in the world, but most of the money is at the top and corporations. The people paying for these migrants are the middle class.

Yeah...hence my point that "just deport them" is a non-starter of a solution. It's pure fantasyland, like a balanced budget amendment. The GOP has no interest in solving this migrant crisis because they've given up any interest in governance. It's just pure political theater at this point.

Then what is your solution? I personally would not mind if the president did an executive action and just deported everyone. Fuck their asylum applications that will take years.

Last edited:
This is how I know you've never actually read the agreement. There is no requirement in the agreement for asylum seekers to apply in the first country they reach. In fact, that's not even mentioned at all.

On the other hand, Mexico does not have a safe third country agreement with the US, and it also fails to meet the standards US law sets out for qualifying as a safe third country.

Try reading the treaties you cite next time before so proudly and incorrectly being wrong.

What the fuck are you even on about.

If the consequences of a treaty is a never ending mass migration under the guise of asylum, which is costing countless billions of dollars then yes you rip up the treaty. I'll take those consequences over the consequences of whatever the fuck you want to call the current border crisis.

Wait a tic…..aren’t the republicans constantly voting against veteran benefits ???

No, but it's a effectively necessary measure given asylum applicants cannot work, unlike normal citizens. We can work or receive benefits.

Again, from a purely utilitarian perspective, if you're hoping to keep the asylum process moving as quickly as possible, not granting them housing is a surefire way to make the system even more leaky.
From a utilitarian perspective, do see the problem with rewarding this type of behavior?

Do you think everyone should live in America?

Maybe we should take care of Americans first, you know, so we don’t wind up with more people that need help

Wait a tic…..aren’t the republicans constantly voting against veteran benefits ???
They are. Republicans vote against veteran issues. It's just like the border issue gaslighting.

Do you think everyone should live in America?

Maybe we should take care of Americans first, you know, so we don’t wind up with more people that need help
Bernie Sanders understood this concept until he started towing the line for establishment Democrats.

Bernie Sanders explained in an Iowa town hall why he's against open borders: Too many poor people would come to the United States, Sanders explained, and the country could not afford to pay for policies like universal health care or free college.

"If you open the borders, my God, there's a lot of poverty in this world, and you're going to have people from all over the world," Sanders said. "And I don't think that's something that we can do at this point. Can't do it."

I think people are just getting used to it. Illegals have always been dumped here. Most don't stay because its cold most of the year.
Maine is all about the homeless and other non contributors. Its ridiculous. People are taxed up the ass and back out again for garbage like this.
They're freezing to death up here due to the lack of space. Two reported cases that I've heard on the radio in the last week. I'm sure last night was a bad one.

They're freezing to death up here due to the lack of space. Two reported cases that I've heard on the radio in the last week. I'm sure last night was a bad one.
A few years ago, we had PSA's about walking around lumps of snow instead of stepping through them because there might be homeless people sleeping under the snow. No BS.

Nothing is really done to help these people.We just spend billions to make them more comfortable as homeless.

They're so incredibly lucky that this has been a wildly unusual mild winter. Think we've broken two or three "warmest day" records already.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses. Thats what it is about. No one should be homeless. There are international rights for asylum seekers. This is a good first step to ensure they are treated well.

Back