Ice Hockey or American Football - Which sport is tougher and more physically demanding to your body?

Which sport is tougher and more physically demanding to your body?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both are CTE heaven.

Hockey is played 82 games a year, plus playoffs which potentially be and added 28 games.

Football is played 17 games a year, plus playoffs.

Both are full contact sports, where hitting is allowed.

Both are very physically taxing on the body and brain.

One unique aspect about hockey is that they allow fighting. So it's just added physical element into that game.

There’s only 12 mins of game time for football. A couple of high impact hits and a lot of sitting versus 6-30 mins of game time per player for hockey depending on position.
Hockey is clearly my pick.

I watch both, I'd say American Football is way more taxing on the body. Most/many NHL players easily manage to go the full season with playoffs, in the NFL half the team is on the injury report after three games or so. In hockey a ton of players play well into their 30's and often approaching 40, in the NFL almost only QBs and special teamers can do that, some teams are even reluctant to pay guys who are still in their 20's. Not hating on hockey, those MFers are tough as hell, but seeing NFL players drop like flies every week of the season...it's just different.

It's tough to compare American Football to any other sport besides maybe Rugby tbf. There is a reason American Football basically has no full contact amateur leagues.

Football only has 17 game seasons for a reason. If they had the 82 game standard, the teams would be made up of beer league call ups by the halfway point, because the League guys would be injured or dead.

Last edited:
I love football, but hockey players are a different breed of player.

I watch both, I'd say American Football is way more taxing on the body. Most/many NHL players easily manage to go the full season with playoffs, in the NFL half the team is on the injury report after three games or so.
This was my assumptive logic, too, but I don't follow hockey closely enough, or even paid attention to it, really, back when I studied strength and conditioning seriously, to feel confident enough to vote in the poll.

Football has so many injuries. Guys get fucked up in training camp. "X's season is over before he played a game because his ankle bent at 90 degrees."

Hockey is more of a grind. Playing 82 games plus the playoffs is crazy. Shea Weber played more than 20 games with a broken foot, a fucked up ankle and a fucked up knee. He had to retire after that.

I have huge respect for anyone who plays at a high level.

Again, it's impossible to answer in generality. Neither sport is anywhere near what they once were in terms of physicality.

Football has positions that a woman could play and no one would notice. On the flip-side, there are positions that involve high-impact contact almost every play they're on the field. The need for fewer games is mainly for these players and is justified considering they tend to be large human beings that need recovery time. Generally speaking, football players tend to be much larger which obviously increases the chance of injury and means there are going to be fewer games.

Hockey has fighting, hitting, is generally played at a faster speed, and has sticks and blades on your feet. The chance of catastrophic injury is greater and certain roles are extremely dangerous. The vast majority of football players aren't interested in fighting and getting punched in the face.

At one point, I believed winning the Stanley Cup was the most grueling feat in team sports. As mentioned, guys used to play with broken bones etc and you'd only find out when the injury reports came out afterwards. I don't know about that anymore considering how much the game and rules have changed.

At the end of the day, when both sports were at their most physical, all you can really say is they both rank highly among the most brutal sports you can play.

Football is by far more demanding on your body. Every play is massive dudes slamming into each other. The brain trauma is absurd. Hockey is one of the harder sports to play. The skating is tough, but it is also easier on your joints than running and jumping. Now, I’ve never played either at a high level, but played hockey as a kid. Something about long hours at the rink, early wake up and always being in the cold does something to your level of resilience. I have nothing to claim this is true, but hockey players are just fuckin tough.

hockey see long exposure to physicality is lot more tasking and bad for your body then 10 hits a game for 16 games a season in sport where ball in play for both teams are 15 minutes in 4 hours

@fica is correct. These cans are barely athletes.

fumble-jets.gif

giphy.gif

I remember reading something a long time ago, something to the effect of a 200lb hockey player skating at 24 or 25mph produces the same amount of kinetic energy as a 350lb football player running at 18mph.

Both hockey players and football players are tough athletes and they take their fair share of punishment. I will say I am surprised at the average weight of football players by position. I really thought they woudl be higher.

Obviously, the offensive linemen, defensive tackles and defensive ends, linebackers and tight ends are generally going to be (really) big guys, but the averages for QB's, RB's, kickers, WR's and defensive backs are comparable to a solid defenceman or winger in hockey.

Call it what you want, bias etc... but if I had to guess, I would be willing to bet most Canadians would vote hockey, and most Americans would probably go with football. Europeans overseas generally play a more fast-paced, less physical style of hockey, but they would probably choose hockey over American football as well, mainly because they just don't understand it as much.

Most people watching hockey think the players are just out there gliding around, making it look easy. It's not, not even close. The average shift in the NHL is around 45 seconds or so, and it's difficult to notice because often the changes are made on the fly. The other reason is, skate at 100% up from one end to the other and back, and you're sucking wind like there's no tomorrow. No wind, no power.

Besides getting hit by other players, you're taking errant (frozen) pucks, and the boards don't have a whole lot of give to them either. Jeremy Roenick went face first into the boards and shattered his jaw in three places. Went to the locker room, had the medical staff wire his jaw shut, and he went back out to keep playing.

From Major Junior onwards (not just the NHL), these guys are putting in the 82 games, playoffs if they make it, and pretty much daily practices when there is no game scheduled.

I am not in any way saying football players are weak or are not tough, they are. The big fuckers on the line are taking hefty physical punishment, and have shorter careers than the smaller football players who are QB's or WR's. And the guys who make it to the NFL are exceptionally talented and are phenomenal athletes.

But the offensive lineman is not playing the same physical type of game as the punter, or place kicker. A punter or place kicker could probably play 82 games in a season. A lineman? Not a fucking chance.

As one person already stated, as far as one sport or the other being tougher on one's own body... probably a wash. But I do believe hockey players are more durable and better conditioned. Watching the hockey players on the screen, they make it look almost effortless, but seeing a game in real life, especially at ice level, you really get a much different perspective. The old time goalies, who played with no helmets were just completely insane fucking savages.

And in my opinion, taking fighting out of hockey only leads to more, and worse, dirty shit, like slashes and cross-checks. Let them duke it out and be done with it. Gary Suter's cross-check on Paul Kariya is still haunting to this day.

I remember reading something a long time ago, something to the effect of a 200lb hockey player skating at 24 or 25mph produces the same amount of kinetic energy as a 350lb football player running at 18mph.

Both hockey players and football players are tough athletes and they take their fair share of punishment. I will say I am surprised at the average weight of football players by position. I really thought they woudl be higher.

Obviously, the offensive linemen, defensive tackles and defensive ends, linebackers and tight ends are generally going to be (really) big guys, but the averages for QB's, RB's, kickers, WR's and defensive backs are comparable to a solid defenceman or winger in hockey.

Call it what you want, bias etc... but if I had to guess, I would be willing to bet most Canadians would vote hockey, and most Americans would probably go with football. Europeans overseas generally play a more fast-paced, less physical style of hockey, but they would probably choose hockey over American football as well, mainly because they just don't understand it as much.

Most people watching hockey think the players are just out there gliding around, making it look easy. It's not, not even close. The average shift in the NHL is around 45 seconds or so, and it's difficult to notice because often the changes are made on the fly. The other reason is, skate at 100% up from one end to the other and back, and you're sucking wind like there's no tomorrow. No wind, no power.

Besides getting hit by other players, you're taking errant (frozen) pucks, and the boards don't have a whole lot of give to them either. Jeremy Roenick went face first into the boards and shattered his jaw in three places. Went to the locker room, had the medical staff wire his jaw shut, and he went back out to keep playing.

From Major Junior onwards (not just the NHL), these guys are putting in the 82 games, playoffs if they make it, and pretty much daily practices when there is no game scheduled.

I am not in any way saying football players are weak or are not tough, they are. The big fuckers on the line are taking hefty physical punishment, and have shorter careers than the smaller football players who are QB's or WR's. And the guys who make it to the NFL are exceptionally talented and are phenomenal athletes.

But the offensive lineman is not playing the same physical type of game as the punter, or place kicker. A punter or place kicker could probably play 82 games in a season. A lineman? Not a fucking chance.

As one person already stated, as far as one sport or the other being tougher on one's own body... probably a wash. But I do believe hockey players are more durable and better conditioned. Watching the hockey players on the screen, they make it look almost effortless, but seeing a game in real life, especially at ice level, you really get a much different perspective. The old time goalies, who played with no helmets were just completely insane fucking savages.

And in my opinion, taking fighting out of hockey only leads to more, and worse, dirty shit, like slashes and cross-checks. Let them duke it out and be done with it. Gary Suter's cross-check on Paul Kariya is still haunting to this day.

Wow what a very nice well thought out post, thank you.

Wow what a very nice well thought out post, thank you.
COme on guys nfl is becoming like you are beating dead horse. Nothing interesting to say about their athleticisam or endurance or strenght that other sport have plenty more or are on par with them

Hockey twink cope thread. Most NFLers are exceptionally strong even considering their bodyweight. Gliding whimsically on ice vs running a 4.3 40, doesn't even compare.

Hockey twink cope thread. Most NFLers are exceptionally strong even considering their bodyweight. Gliding whimsically on ice vs running a 4.3 40, doesn't even compare.
Body builder is stronger then all of.them but we do not call body builder athlete and on top.of that you got vwry skiny guys at qb or wr position who.gwt hit full speed a d get up.after seconds. And that is 15 minutes in 4 hour live play game hockey player get hit on every play hard or soft.but like i said nfl is like beatimg the dead horse it is not that tough strong or difficult to manage. All other sports can match them in strenght endurance difficulty speed

Back