Dustin Poirier's 3rd title shot is even more undeserved and stupid than Colby's 3rd.

AmbassadorFright

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
But no one is saying anything because Dustin is a fan favorite. Let's compare both scenarios. Colby got finished in his first got a second won and lost in a war. He then beat Masvidal who was just outside the top 5 (although not in skill level but on paper he was) and hadn't fought Leon previously and had more things to offer him from a stylistically challenging perspective than Dustin has for Islam. Dustin had just got fucking slept by Gaethje who in turn was just slept by Max. Not to mention Arman just beat Oliveira who also beat Dustin. Beats number 13 ranked Benoit St Denis and gets a title shot on a 1 fight win streak. And it's not like Dustin's two title fight losses were controversial or even particularly competitive, he got finished convincingly. And all real MMA fans knows he's probably the easiest fight in all of the top 10 for Islam. Seriously what challenges does he present? His below average takedown defense and defensive wrestling? His "nasty guillotine" LMFAO. As a Muslim myself I know fighting during Ramadan is excruciating but it's over now and had Islam waited a few more months he could have had either Max or Arman both far more viable challenges that present a risk. Even the biggest Poirier fans know what's going to happen. Is anyone else really excited for another Islam free win?

But no one is saying anything because Dustin is a fan favorite. Let's compare both scenarios. Colby got finished in his first got a second won and lost in a war. He then beat Masvidal who was just outside the top 5 (although not in skill level but on paper he was) and hadn't fought Leon previously and had more things to offer him from a stylistically challenging perspective than Dustin has for Islam. Dustin had just got fucking slept by Gaethje who in turn was just slept by Max. Not to mention Arman just beat Oliveira who also beat Dustin. Beats number 13 ranked Benoit St Denis and gets a title shot on a 1 fight win streak. And it's not like Dustin's two title fight losses were controversial or even particularly competitive, he got finished convincingly. And all real MMA fans knows he's probably the easiest fight in all of the top 10 for Islam. Seriously what challenges does he present? His below average takedown defense and defensive wrestling? His "nasty guillotine" LMFAO. As a Muslim myself I know fighting during Ramadan is excruciating but it's over now and had Islam waited a few more months he could have had either Max or Arman both far more viable challenges that present a risk. Even the biggest Poirier fans know what's going to happen. Is anyone else really excited for another Islam free win?

Colby avoided top contenders, Dustin fights top contenders and defenders his spot, they are not the same.

edit:
Yes Colby did fight between title shots but he always avoided top contenders, and he is still avoiding them.

Last edited:
Justin actually did the right thing this time and fought a hungry up and comer then knocked out Poirier and it bit him in the ass cause if he would have sat out the Max fight there's a good chance it would be him losing to Islam instead of Dustin. Just goes to show UFC matchmaking is a joke.

I’m probably one of the biggest DP fans out there.

I mean, I get why they are giving it to him but it’s definitely not deserved. They like that win or lose his fights are always entertaining. He’s game and will try some shit even if it means he gets whacked.

But no he’s not the most deserving

Neither is/was deserving but beating Benoit is a better win than old man Masvidal. Not to mention Poirier actually fights somewhat frequently and doesn’t avoid everyone relevant in his division. On top of that Dustin is actually an entertaining fighter whereas Colby is a boring decision machine who lacks nearly all finishing ability.

Bro Dustin is gonna get RNC'd in one round. Or Islam decides to KO him. But you're right #1 easiest fight.

Colby was designated as the number one contender, while we all accept that to keep the division moving islam has to fight someone and poirier is the only one ready. Plus, poirier has wins over ranked lightweights like max, gaethje, chandler, hooker, Saint Denis, and bobby green. Obviously some of those aren’t recent wins but it makes much more sense than colby who didn’t have any

It’s certainly not the most deserved shot. But given the current circumstances, is it really some major injustice? The champion is ready and willing to fight. The only contender above Poirier coming off a win is Tsarukyan who turned it down and will still get his shot next. Who else is deserving? Gamrot? Is anybody clamoring for that? Or should the champion sit out for another 6 months for Tsarukyan?

Colby avoided top contenders, Dustin fights top contenders and defenders his spot, they are not the same.
It's amazing how you're literally in a thread that points out that Colby was coming off bigger ranked wins than Dustin in his title fights.

And here you are still somehow pointing out something completely wrong.

Lol at "no one is saying anything". Like every single post about it has been bitching.

Islam said he wants to fight on the June card and doesn't care who the opponent is because he just finished Ramadan and can start a camp, and wants to fight again this year on the Abu Dhabi card, so the UFC waited to see who won this weekend to find out who was the highest available contender. They offered the fight to Arman after he won, Arman turned it down for the 2nd time, so that makes Poirier the highest ranked available contender.

Before they update the rankings, Oliveira(who Islam already smashed) is ranked 1, Gaethje is ranked 2, and Poirier is ranked 3. 1 and 2 just lost, so that makes Poirier and Arman 1 and 2, and Arman turned it down, so Poirier gets the fight and Arman gets it in the fall.

It's preposterous to bitch about the champ fighting the guy who was just #1, offering him a rematch twice, then when that guy loses to someone else, fights the new #1 and 2, and the champ from the division below and asks for the one from the division above. No idea whether they'll have Arman or Poirier at 1 and the other at 2, but it doesn't really matter, if the #1 who is a knockout artist with a BJJ black belt is considered too easy of an opponent, and he's already beaten the #2 and #3, and they both turned down multiple rematches, mabye it's because Islam is just a level above the rest of the division.

Colby was designated as the number one contender, while we all accept that to keep the division moving islam has to fight someone and poirier is the only one ready. Plus, poirier has wins over ranked lightweights like max, gaethje, chandler, hooker, Saint Denis, and bobby green. Obviously some of those aren’t recent wins but it makes much more sense than colby who didn’t have any
I like the part where you left out that this is only actually happening because Islam is refusing to fight at any point other than June for no apparent reason.

Where literally only Poirier is magically available.

Strange coincidence that is!

Beautiful OP, sir. <mma1>

It’s not deserved by traditional standards. But it’s definitely way less of a farce than Colby’s shot was. Dustin at least fights
Colby had just beaten a top 5 guy who had just fought for the title and was known as the 2nd best WW. I still see nothing wrong with Dustin likely getting his last title shot

Back