Poirier's Egregious Title Shot

Look at what Poirier has done, look at his resume, he has beat so many top fighters, this is not just about beating BSD though, he has proved it and earned it, plus its a fresh matchup, Poirier and Islam have never fought before. How can you say he doesn't deserve it, I mean even Islam has nowhere near the resume of Poirier, look at the names they have fought over their career.

Dustin is still highly ranked, Gaethje and Oliveira are booked. Islam wants to fight soon so Porier is the obvious choice.

His potential title shot is basically a product of poor planning and scheduling. They booked the 3 most deserving contenders shortly before Islam was available. So the question is, is Poirier getting the shot really worse than having Islam sitting on the sidelines until probably October? He’s not the most deserving, but it’s probably not even top 5 least deserved title shots.

Everybody including Dustin himself knew his time was up before a #13 ranked fighter stupidly decided to stand in the pocket and trade with him. I like Dustin but he does not deserve to be fighting for the title after beating Saint Denis. This is more title defense cherrypicking from managers & fighters and too easy of a defense for Islam. The rightful recipient is Charles Oliveira. If not him, make a fight with Leon or at the very least Justin Gaethje. There's no way Poirier leapfrogs these guys.

I don't think it's much to do with rankings or deserving as much as timing. There are more deserving guys that Dustin as you pointed out. I think it's just the UFCs and Islam's timeline this year and setting up his fights. Considering Justin and Olivera/Arman are fight on 300, the turn around for these guys is too soon to fit Islam's schedule. Islam and the UFC certainly want him in Abu Dhabi in October, which means he'll have to fight in June. Islam is itching to fight and get his defenses in so Dustin fits the timeline best.

Dustin in late June
Olivera/Arman or Gaethje in late October.

His potential title shot is basically a product of poor planning and scheduling. They booked the 3 most deserving contenders shortly before Islam was available. So the question is, is Poirier getting the shot really worse than having Islam sitting on the sidelines until probably October? He’s not the most deserving, but it’s probably not even top 5 least deserved title shots.

I personally love this fight. I think Islam needs to beat some of these elite LWs that have been on top the last 5 years or so to prove himself as a great champion. Better he fights Poirier now before he loses again and we don't get to see this fight.

Except if Justin just knocked Dustin the fuck out pretty handily just before Dustin's win over BSD. And many think Max won the fight vs Dustin, either way it was close.
If Gathje loses to Max, this will be a moot discussion. All things being equal, I don’t think Poirier deserves a TS more than Justin, but considering that Justin is booked, Poirier is a great next choice.

As for Max vs Poirier 2; It wasn’t a total blowout, but Poirier won soundly. Max only took one round. Max landed some good shots, but it was clear that he just doesn’t have the power to seriously hurt anyone at LW. I don’t remember anyone thinking Max won. In fact, this fight was used as the shining example of why Max shouldn’t fight at LW.

Leon? Stop dude. You’re bitching about LW standings and then suggest that Islam should do a “superfight” at WW. Dustin’s win over BSD means more than a stupid BMF title bout against Max.

Yes and no sir.

The BMF belt itself means fuck all, but Justin just beat Dustin, and if Max can win against Justin he should rightfully be in the picture.

I feel like the winner of Arman vs Charles should be next after its all said and done.

Leon shouldn't even be talked about right now tbh.

Yes and no sir.

The BMF belt itself means fuck all, but Justin just beat Dustin, and if Max can win against Justin he should rightfully be in the picture.

I feel like the winner of Arman vs Charles should be next after its all said and done.

Leon shouldn't even be talked about right now tbh.
They’re both 2-1 in their last three. DP with wins over Chandler and BSD. JG with wins over Fiz and DP. They both have a strong case with the edge to JG for beating DP. Obviously. But that win over BSD puts DP right back in the discussion imo. I still think JG should have gotten a TS next, but to say that DP getting it is egregious is just fucking retarded. He’s the next best choice. It’s not like JG got passed over. He chose to take the Max fight, which was dumb imo. If Justin loses, he definitely won’t get a shot before the Arman/Olives winner.

Last edited:
Who gives a shit, none of the other top contenders are available, and it's not fair to make Islam sit out until the end of the year when he wants to fight, its not his problem that the other guys are not free to fight. Dustin getting the fight doesn't hurt anyone, and if he wins then it means he deserved it in the first place.

I don't want to see Dustin ''Choke me Daddy'' Poirier getting choked out again

Charles is tied up and does not seem to be eager for Islam. He is still longing for that red panty fight with a no rank.

Justin is tied up with Max and he seems content with it. He'll get his shot if he wins this.

Leon is not even in his weight class and it would be a useless fight at the moment holding back 2 divisions.

Leon? Stop dude. You’re bitching about LW standings and then suggest that Islam should do a “superfight” at WW. Dustin’s win over BSD means more than a stupid BMF title bout against Max.
The Leon argument was good but rating Dustin's win over the BMF Max fight while disregarding Gaethje finished Dustin is dumb

Everybody including Dustin himself knew his time was up before a #13 ranked fighter stupidly decided to stand in the pocket and trade with him. I like Dustin but he does not deserve to be fighting for the title after beating Saint Denis. This is more title defense cherrypicking from managers & fighters and too easy of a defense for Islam. The rightful recipient is Charles Oliveira. If not him, make a fight with Leon or at the very least Justin Gaethje. There's no way Poirier leapfrogs these guys.

I just think it's a case of Islam facing the gauntlet of Dustin, Justin and the winner of Oliviera/Tsarukyan to really legitimize his dominance.

I honestly don't give much of a shit which order it's in.

I totally agree that Tsarukyan, Gaethje, and Oliveira are all more deserving than Poirier but stupid matchmaking put Tsarukyan against Oliveira (still a great fight tho) and Gaethje against Max (giga stupid fight) so that leaves Poirier is the only available and qualified guy

Poirier leapfrogging Oliveira and Gaethje who both finished him is egregious but in the context of the other fights being set in stone, it's the only option left

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doubleEYEpoke
Back