Media “There’s a reason they didn’t give me Ilia Topuria” ~ Max Holloway

Who would win a potential fight?

• Total voters
Yeah with Volk he got tko'd early in his career (at 170). Wobbled or dropped by Mendes, can't remember which, dropped by Max, hurt several times by Islam in the first fight and ko'd in the 2nd.. Is there any I'm missing? Now this is normal, that's what happens if your chin isn't made of titanium.

With Max all we have to go off of is "woah that was a big punch he just took, he might be hurt". He's never even been wobbly.

Well definitely partly as he's 5'11 (looks taller still, looks more like 6ft, but anyway) fighting actual midgets. Children could punch me without knocking me out or hurting me too.

at this point in time I have to pick Max. But it I think Volk is a more favorable matchup for Ilia

I think they just are tired of risking #1 contenders through Max now. Would be a good fight if Topuria gets belt.

Well definitely partly as he's 5'11 (looks taller still, looks more like 6ft, but anyway) fighting actual midgets. Children could punch me without knocking me out or hurting me too.
<{hughesimpress}><30>
Ortega, Allen, Aldo, KZ, Frankie, Volk (second fight), Yair

Then he ate Poirier’s biggest shots! Then he ate Yair calf kicks!

<mma2><WhitmanDefeat>

Actual midget = under 4'10 or under but I won't take that too literally. Will Chope 6'4, Cole Miller 6'1, Fili 5'10, Collard 6', Yair 5'11, Pettis and Oliveir 5'10, a bunch of 5'9, bunch of 5'8... Volk and Bermudez are tied for the shortest guy Max has fought at 5'6. Average height for his opponents when averaged out is probably 5'9.. Also being a couple inches shorter doesn't mean they can't knock you out lol

i think the problem is his pay check is too big to not put him in top fights and if they don't have him fight up and comers the only other guys they could put him against are even lower ranked fighters he'd absolutely destroy.
At this point, why not?

Bring back squash matches against journeymen. That way guys like Max would get to ride into a 4th title shot down the road riding a 10 fight KO streak, or some up and coming 7-0 guy upsets him and becomes a huge star

UFC is the leader in MMA for a reason, they know how to run the show and raise title contenders. They risked it rushing Poatan to title shots and they got it right

At this point, why not?

Bring back squash matches against journeymen. That way guys like Max would get to ride into a 4th title shot down the road riding a 10 fight KO streak, or some up and coming 7-0 guy upsets him and becomes a huge star

it all has to do with money in my opinion. Max wants big money fights + UFC wants to capitalize on the most money generating fights possible = Max always vs young lions knocking at the door for title shots or established contenders. the only thing about some guy upsetting him at a lower level could mean a few things, and not necessarily that the dude who upset him is any good. if a proven guy can beat him then UFC can use him like they do Tony Ferguson. he doesn't keep the same value if some Contender Series noob beats him.

Max is in a Franklin type situation. Good enough to knock off contenders but loses to the champ.

Max beats Ilia with ease. Too bad Volk is likely winning this fight.

I think it's reasonable. They shouldn't have given him Arnold neither. Max cleaning up the division while having 3 championship L's to Volk is a complicated situation
Add to that a. Champion on a two fight losing streak…..

Si-Fi bro

Feed him to Conor. Massive card with just that fight.

Back