2 new Fridges for AirForce 1 to cost $24 million

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Anyone else think this is a total ripoff?

And I am not putting most of the blame on Trump. Most of the blame should be on Boeing , who is the primary contractor, and the government agency / personnel tasked with approving the bid.

Boeing claims they have to design custom fridges with unique requirements, make it pass FAA certification and provide service and parts. $24 million is still a staggering figure. We need to see how much FAA testing costs.

Not the first time , or the last, that companies overcharge the government.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/politics/air-force-one-refrigerator-contract-boeing/index.html

People working in govt procurement are retarded. This is nothing new.

Dat extended manufacturer's warranty doe

This is why conservatives don't want government controlled industries.

And by the way, I have bought commercial kitchen equipment. And have also bought stuff from the government / military, stuff that was new or essentially new.

Previous case of Boeing overcharging the government.

Boeing overcharged the U.S. Army up to 177,000 percent on helicopter spare parts — $71.01 for a metal pin worth 4 cents that the Pentagon already had plenty of in storage — according to an audit by the Department of Defense’s inspector general and obtained by the Project on Government Oversight. The audit focused on the Army Aviation and Missile Life Cycle Management Command’s transactions with Boeing to supply the Corpus Christi Army Depot in Texas.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/boeing-overcharged-pentagon_n_887174.html

Some of you are no doubt thinking these costs are covering up Black Projects, but the audit by the gov. and expose does not say that.

Pentagon Finds Halliburton Overcharged on Iraq Contracts

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/11/i...on-finds-halliburton-overcharged-on-iraq.html

It better have a working ice dispenser.

That’s crazy who ever does the contracts and pricing need a job performance review

Anyone else think this is a total ripoff?

And I am not putting most of the blame on Trump. Most of the blame should be on Boeing , who is the primary contractor, and the government agency / personnel tasked with approving the bid.

Boeing claims they have to design custom fridges with unique requirements, make it pass FAA certification and provide service and parts. $24 million is still a staggering figure. We need to see how much FAA testing costs.

Not the first time , or the last, that companies overcharge the government.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/politics/air-force-one-refrigerator-contract-boeing/index.html

There is definitely something seriously wrong with that. There is no way that makes any sense at all, and you're right that it is not the first time we have heard of contractors getting overpaid by the government.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/02/us-spent-43-million-on-afghanistan-gas-station-watchdog-report.html

Someone is lining their own pockets with money (per usual).

Why does air force one require different refrigeration than a regular plane ?

Honest question: why can't we buy parts on amazon?

Is there some rule that I am not aware of?

- Do the parts have to come from the company that made the original product?
- Does the government have to buy parts for a military product by a company owned by a vet?
- Did a member of congress slip in a sentence within an agricultural bill that all washers for helicopters must be bought by Tony's Washers, because Tony gave money to his campaign?

I bet it's one of those fridges with an iPad and Alexa built into it. Those are pretty dope.

It isn't a refrigerator, it's a new refrigeration system. Also AF1 is the mobile-base for any president, so there has to be massive testing and engineering done to uphold it. Also, when did Sherdog become airplane engineering cost experts?

Due to the fact that Air Force One is a one-of-a-kind aircraft, many of its components require unique testing by the Federal Aviation Administration and the cost of the testing is included in the price of the component, in this case refrigerators. The $24 million contract will cover the costs of engineering support services for the new chillers -- including prototype design, manufacturing and installation, according to the DOD contract.

"The units and associated aircraft structural modifications are being specially designed to provide nearly 70 cubic feet of temperature-controlled (refrigeration/freezer) storage to support on-board personnel for an extended period of time, without having to restock while abroad," Stefanek told CNN.

And note, this replaces the refrigeration system from the 90's, so it's a one-time cost.

It isn't a refrigerator, it's a new refrigeration system. Also AF1 is the mobile-base for any president, so there has to be massive testing and engineering done to uphold it. Also, when did Sherdog become airplane engineering cost experts?

And note, this replaces the refrigeration system from the 90's, so it's a one-time cost.

There are 5 chiller units, only 2 need replacing. The cost is just for the 2 being replaced. Lots of grocery stores have walk-in freezers , with external chillers; they cost thousands, not millions.

I hope his food gets freezer burned

What's wrong with eating room temperature food?

This is why conservatives don't want government controlled industries.

Conservatives are in the pocket of Boeing, dont kid yourself.

There are 5 chiller units, only 2 need replacing. The cost is just for the 2 being replaced. Lots of grocery stores have walk-in freezers , with external chillers; they cost thousands, not millions.
My guess is the price is from many things, from testing, power limitations, reliability requirements, etc. Not something your average fridge would cost. And they aren't just manufacturing the old versions and putting them in, they are re-engineering the fridges (since the old designs were from the 90's).

Back