2 new Fridges for AirForce 1 to cost $24 million

If it turns out that its not just $24 million worth of these, I'm going to be sorely disappointed

1459605_R_Z001

This is why conservatives don't want government controlled industries.
Were are talking about the fucking president how do you not want that as part of the government?...and you think that the government shouldn't have a plane for the president?

Anyone else think this is a total ripoff?

That depends, the new ones are $24 million and could hold 3000 meals, but how much did the government paid back in 1990 for the old ones that consistently fails in hot weather?

Once you compare their prices, storage space, and capabilities, you should have your answer.

Last edited:
That depends, the new ones are $24 million and could hold 3000 meals, but how much did the government paid back in 1990 for the old ones that consistently fails in hot weather?

Once you compare their prices, storage space, and capabilities, you should have your answer.
No freezer unit should cost $12 million, even for one specifically built for aircraft.

No freezer unit should cost $12 million, even for one specifically built for aircraft.

Selective-outrage is not my cup of tea, as I have already chalked outrageous government spending up as "business as usual" a very long time ago, no matter which party is in power. Certainly fun to talk about though.

Back in 2015, the U.S Air Force set a $4 Billion budget for the 747-8s due to replace the current VC-25As, and the American people didn't even bat an eye, just like there was no public outrage when the new Air Force One contract was awarded to Boeing exactly 3 years ago without a public bid, right?

When Obama was President, no one in the MSM would even question the idea of a pair of $2 Billion planes to replace an ageing pair that only costs $325 Million each as wasteful. Hell, they probably even think that's a good thing, since Air Force One is a prestigious symbol of the United States, so a couple Billion dollars is chump change, right? Go on, see how many Air Force One-related rage-bait articles/threads you can find before the Rise of Trump.

I do finds it fascinating that immediately after Trump took office, all of a sudden a lot of Americans began to care about a lot of things that they used to scoff at (or simply weren't interested enough to even read about it before), particularly on how much the U.S government costs to operate: security details, air transportation, equipment procurement, all that good stuffs with sky-high price tags that everyone just automatically accepted before, but our wonderful MSM are just slowly discovering what good rage-bait they could be for the previously less-informed.

I'll say this: anyone who was completely okay with the idea of a decked-out $2 Billion customized government plane should probably be perfectly okay with a $12 million customized 70-cubic feet government fridge.

(If anyone are interested to see how the government spend their tax dollars, I suggest they start here instead. I promise you those numbers are much more impressive.)

Last edited:
Selective-outrage is not my cup of tea, I have already chalked outrageous government spending up as "business as usual" a very long time ago.

You do know the U.S Air Force set a $4 Billion budget for the 747-8s due to replace the current VC-25As, and the American people didn't even bat an eye when the new Air Force One contract was award to Boeing exactly 3 years ago without a public bid, right?

When Obama was President, no one in the MSM back in 2015 would even question the idea of a pair of $2 Billion planes to replace an ageing pair that only costs $325 Million each. Hell, they probably even think that's a good thing, since Air Force One is a prestigious symbol of the United States, so a couple Billion dollars is chump change, right? Go on, see how many Air Force One-related outrage threads from War Roomers back in 2015 you can find.

I do finds it fascinating that immediately after Trump took office, all of a sudden a lot of Americans began to care about a lot of things that they used to scoff at (or simply weren't interested enough to know), particularly on how much the U.S government costs to operate: security details, transportation, equipment, all that good stuffs with sky-high price tags that our wonderful MSM are just slowly discovering now.

I'll say this: anyone who was completely okay with the idea of a $2 Billion government plane should be perfectly okay with a $12 million government fridge.

Because $2 Billion for a whole plane, a very specialized plane, is harder to make a case against than $24 for 2 freezer units. It is much easier to notice the absurd cost when the item in question is smaller and far less complex than an entire aircraft.

And I am not sure why you brought Trump into this, implying that I blame him, when I specifically mentioned in the OP that I place the primary blame on Boeing and the gov. dept. responsible for authorizing the acquisition.

My guess is the price is from many things, from testing, power limitations, reliability requirements, etc. Not something your average fridge would cost. And they aren't just manufacturing the old versions and putting them in, they are re-engineering the fridges (since the old designs were from the 90's).

Its still a fridge...

This is typical for govt, spending tax "poorly" and redistributing wealth... To friends lol

Government contract (especially in defense sector) turns into a completely blank check for contractee with no oversight

Next to lobbying/electional “fundraising” it’s the biggest cause of corruption in our government and it’s fucking everywhere. I’d vote for a prez on either side of the aisle who I felt would actually reel this waste in

Honest question: why can't we buy parts on amazon?

Is there some rule that I am not aware of?

- Do the parts have to come from the company that made the original product?
- Does the government have to buy parts for a military product by a company owned by a vet?
- Did a member of congress slip in a sentence within an agricultural bill that all washers for helicopters must be bought by Tony's Washers, because Tony gave money to his campaign?

Short answer is that everything must be bought by an approved vendor.

Hard to judge how inflated the price is, because there aren't really any comparable developments of bespoke, high capacity aeronautical refrigeration units and service contracts, with all the work to be done by engineers with appropriate security clearances, with aviation compliance testing and potentially other unusual requirements all inclusive (radiation hardening? Both the VC-25A aircraft?).

cost us all about 19 cents ?

that is quite a bit for an appliance lol, but i can forgo the gumball machine today

It better have a working ice dispenser.

I heard that when Trump opens the door it plays Trump's favorite songs: "Hail to the Chief," "Achy Breaky Heart," and "My Humps."

In my previous job I worked for an aviation engineering company that bought spares and parts from boeing and airbus. All I can say is that their prices are shockingly high!!! Absurd prices for basic parts. I once bought it up with a guy from boeing who had come to our facility and he pretty much said that you either buy their parts or go fuck yourself because your planes wouldn' be flying anywhere without them.

Fuck it, I'm putting my mini fridge on Craigslist for the bargain basement price of $2.5 million. See ya at the country club, Sherbros!

Keeping those file´o´fish fresh aint easy bud.

I thought it was Dennis Leary - Asshole
I think would be Weird Al Yankovic's spoof of Michael Jackson's Bad

Anyone else think this is a total ripoff?

And I am not putting most of the blame on Trump. Most of the blame should be on Boeing , who is the primary contractor, and the government agency / personnel tasked with approving the bid.

Boeing claims they have to design custom fridges with unique requirements, make it pass FAA certification and provide service and parts. $24 million is still a staggering figure. We need to see how much FAA testing costs.

Not the first time , or the last, that companies overcharge the government.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/politics/air-force-one-refrigerator-contract-boeing/index.html

The Government and Contractor don't care because they just pass the bill on to Joe Taxpayer. AKA me and about 25 % of sherdog ( pretty sure most here are shiftless check recipients ).

<{cruzshake}> .

Back