Sometimes it's better to decide for yourself what's good. Some of my favorite games and movies have low review scores. Would have missed out on some of my favorite things ever if I just blindly followed popular opinion all the time.

True. And you know what got good reviews in 1930's Germany? Killing all the Jews. And we all know that wasn't very good.

True. And you know what got good reviews in 1930's Germany? Killing all the Jews. And we all know that wasn't very good.

This. I really dislike appeals to popularity. I mean the kardashians are popular ffs.

Looks like it's going to settle in on RT at about 64%. Not bad, especially considering:

After Earth: 11%
Last Airbender: 6%
The Happening: 17%

I just watched after earth and can tell why some would be afraid to hand him money, this guys head goes gone sometimes man

This just doesnt seem like a match film that he would make tho idk

Just saw it. Its pretty entertaining. A lot of laughs and some good scary moments.

Just saw it. Its pretty entertaining. A lot of laughs and some good scary moments.

I attempted to go see it earlier. I looked up the showtimes on Fandango and somehow my brain confused 4:45 with 5:30, so I got there 45 minutes late. My irritation level was off the charts. But tomorrow. Tomorrow.

I'm probably going to watch it. He sure has done stinkers lately, but I've liked a lot of his work.

it looks very creepy to me from the tv spots and trailers. Nice to see him switching things up a bit. Glad to see the response is significantly more positive than his last few films.

I had zero desire to see this until this thread. Now I'm actually excited. I always thought it was a matter of time until M. Night got back on track. He has proven that he has talent, and when he is "on," he makes really unique, good films.

I"m going to see it tonight. Seems interesting hope it brings some scares.

After watching Goodnight Mommy and being bored to tears, I need to rush out and see this tonight so I can cleanse my palate. There's literally no way The Visit could be any worse.

After watching Goodnight Mommy and being bored to tears, I need to rush out and see this tonight so I can cleanse my palate. There's literally no way The Visit could be any worse.

I just watched the preview for that and thought it looked interesting. I hope it's not as dull as you make it out to be.

Okay, so I've seen it. And. . . I give it a 7/10.

First, the positive.

The concept itself is sound and there are some really good performances. Ed Oxenbould as the little brother is very natural on camera and provides us with some humorous moments, while Olivia DeJonge as the sister gives the film its heart and comes across as very genuine. Peter McRobbie as Pop Pop also does a perfectly good job and Deanna Dunagan as Nana really knocks it out of the park.

Also on the positive side, while the film is not really terrifying (and to go into it expecting it to be so is a mistake), it has some genuinely suspenseful moments. And once it really got going, I was fully engaged.

Now the negative.

Like I said, once it really got going I was engaged. But it takes a while for it to get going, and during that initial period I have to admit I was kind of bored. There's a good amount of "ramping up" with this film.

Also, there's little rewatchability here. Once you've seen it, you've seen it. To be fair, this is partially due to the found footage format. The film, by its very nature, has relatively plain cinematography and only a basic sound design. So it's not the kind of thing you're going to go back to and rewatch just to re-experience its artistic elements.

All in all, I liked it but I didn't love it. It's good to see Shyamalan getting some buzz and coming out with something that's interesting and that's not getting panned from top to bottom. It's a good step back toward relevance. But he still has a little ways to go before he's back to operating on the level he was at during the first stage of his career.

I'll watch. Just because of the simple fact that it will be another abomination on M. Nights record.

He has never made a good movie. This one will suck too.

Back