A black man was forced to pay upfront at a Chinese restaurant. He got his meal — and $10,000.

Well, you have to assert that the ONLY reason they were forced to pay up front was because of their color. We have no idea how the were dressed or how they were acting.

I would bet that in the restaurant's history other black people went there and if they would have experienced the same treatment then surely one of them would have filed before this incident.

But yes, people (or bigots if you will) only see black people as their skin color and nothing else.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be funny if these exact same people dined and dashed the week before at this restaurant?

Yeah man but according to the article, didn't they ask for an explanation and not even get one? If they came back and said something and gave a reason, sure you'd have a point. According to the article, they didn't even give an explanation.

Yeah man but according to the article, didn't they ask for an explanation and not even get one? If they came back and said something and gave a reason, sure you'd have a point. According to the article, they didn't even give an explanation.

I think the explanation is implicit and if you were to do a study on the kind of people who dine and dash, this would make business sense. Is Walmart racist? If something keeps getting stolen, you take countermeasures.

"That's when I noticed that all of the African-American products were locked up under lock and key," Grundy told reporters at a news conference on Friday, according to CBS.

Walmart said in a statement to Business Insider that it does "not tolerate discrimination of any kind."

"We're sensitive to this situation and also understand, like other retailers, that some products such as electronics, automotive, cosmetics and other personal care products are subject to additional security. Those determinations are made on a store-by-store basis using data supporting the need for the heightened measures," a Walmart spokesperson said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-locking-up-african-american-hair-products-2018-1

My fiancée and I are Punjabi (Indian) and often joke our people are the most racist on earth haha. One of the slang words used for blacks in our language literally translates to "demon."

The girlfriend I had freshman year’s best friend studied abroad in Japan and was pretty fluent in that, and had some passable mandarin as well. There were times we’d just be eating lunch or watching the dorm floor ultimate frisbee team playing when suddenly she’d turn beat red as she’d overhear some of the Asian students talking about some black guy thinking no one else could understand them. All of them laughing and joking and when she’d tell us what they were staying later it was always just unbelievable

She wasn’t the confrontational type to snap back at them in their language unfortunately. It would have been amazing if she did

I think the explanation is implicit and if you were to do a study on the kind of people who dine and dash, this would make business sense.

Why not do it to all customers then to prevent it completely?

Having to pay upfront at a restaurant...greatest human rights violation in history imo...

Why not lock up white hair products?

I'd argue data driven treatment of products is not the same as human treatment because of skin color.

The products weren't locked up because of a specific demographic, and they were locked to all demographics - no group had easy access. Whereas this restaurant was treating people differently based only on their demographic.

Perhaps my views on this are not politically correct, but I feel that folks should have the right to do with their property/business as they see fit. As a white male, if I went into a black or Mexican owned business and they didn't want my money, I would gladly go elsewhere.
We all make discriminatory choices on a daily basis for various reasons and whatnot. The idea that someone should be forced to serve their goods and services to clientele they're not comfortable with, regardless of the reason, seems like government overreach to me.

Having to pay upfront at a restaurant...greatest human rights violation in history imo...

Paying up front isn't the issue - the issue is clearly making some people pay up front instead of others purely due to race.

The girlfriend I had freshman year’s best friend studied abroad in Japan and was pretty fluent in that, and had some passable mandarin as well. There were times we’d just be eating lunch or watching the dorm floor ultimate frisbee team playing when suddenly she’d turn beat red as she’d overhear some of the Asian students talking about some black guy thinking no one else could understand them. All of them laughing and joking and when she’d tell us what they were staying later it was always just unbelievable

She wasn’t the confrontational type to snap back at them in their language unfortunately. It would have been amazing if she did
I've heard some disgusting stuff too from Indians. To be honest, as a brown guy I respect the open racism of whites to the hidden racism of other races in America. If you're going to be a piece of shit, at least have the balls to be upfront about it.

I'd argue data driven treatment of products is not the same as human treatment because of skin color.

The products weren't locked up because of a specific demographic, and they were locked to all demographics - no group had easy access. Whereas this restaurant was treating people differently based only on their demographic.

A product that is targeted at a certain demographic, and only that demographic, was locked up.

Do you realize black people have different hair?lol

A product that is targeted at a certain demographic, and only that demographic, was locked up.

Because of theft data that didn't declare it was because of one demographic or another.

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.

Waffle House at 2am has been the only time I’ve ever had to pay up front, but they were doing that to everyone so that’s cool and just avoids them being stiffed by drunk assholes

Glad this guy stuck up for himself on the bullshit of being profiled and got paid for it

Edit: Also, from my experiences, Japanese and Chinese are some of the most overtly racist people I’ve interacted with. Southern rural whites at least tried to hide it in public. The Asian college students were just.... wow

Agreed.

But as a black person who has spent a lot of time living among Asians, I find their racism preferable. When someone is blantantly racist, I can call them on it and we can argue and yell or whatever. There's something direct and masculine about it

White America racism (most of my experience with this is liberals, but nowadays conservatives are similar) is passive aggressive af, and done in a subtle way so that you'll put up with a ton of racist shit before you realize that it's on purpose. Then when you finally realize it, you can't react because if you do, you're often confirming some racist stereotype, then the whole mob will side against you and be like, "Oh geez, there he/she goes playing the race card again." It's manipulative and sits with you for a long time and feminine.

Obviously, I'd prefer subtle racism to burning crosses on my lawn, but sometimes I'm relived when an asian woman leaves the seat next to me empty on the subway. I can just recognize it, ignore it, and go on with my day.

Last edited:
Paying up front isn't the issue - the issue is clearly making some people pay up front instead of others purely due to race.

And the issue with Walmart is locking up beauty products for black people. Both cases show a mistrust and countermeasures.

And the issue with Walmart is locking up beauty products for black people. Both cases show a mistrust and countermeasures.

The mistrust wasn't due to race is the point - it was due to theft data. Anyone could have been stealing them - and that's why they were locked for everyone. You'd have a point if white people could still buy the exact same product while black people had to ask permission.

Whereas the restaurant clearly was judging people only by their skin color.

The mistrust wasn't due to race is the point - it was due to theft data. Anyone could have been stealing them - and that's why they were locked for everyone. You'd have a point if white people could still buy the exact same product while black people had to ask permission.

Whereas the restaurant clearly was judging people only by their skin color.

Whatever man. You are being dishonest. It was theft data on an exclusively black product. And tons of people screamed racism and it was a scandal.

This happened at a sushi restaurant to a friend of a friend. They were Chinese not Japanese.

A group of like 5 guys came in and they told the black guy "You pay first you pay first"

Lol the racist Chinese have no shame

Maybe they were acting suspiciously...but if it would have been me, I would have simply gone somewhere else...it's not like they refused to serve them, just asked them to pay upfront...

Back