About Dave Meltzer

Bisping caught GSP a few good times, and GSP was clearly slowing down. Bisping could've won if it went 5 rds.

I'm not gonna say Bisping just got caught, but GSP was going to have to hurry up and finish

A lot of guys worship him. But let's be real, he really has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to MMA.

1. He claimed GSP "wasn't doing great in the fight" against bisping and that Bisping "just got caught"
2. He's claimed Cody Garbrandt was a welterweight champ
3. He thought that a referee would have been justified in stopping Bisping vs GSP due to cuts

this is just 3 things within like 5 minutes of this video that he said were absolutely idiotic

I have a lot of different opinions then he does, but his reporting/journalism is spot on
He is the biggest reason we know anything concrete about UFC & their business & how they pay fighters.

He covered MMA longer than some fans were born & was a licensed ref
His opinion is as valid as anybody, but ... its an opinion & nobody should confuse that with reporting/journalism

Nobody needs to agree with his opinion to appreciate his reporting history

---

Frank Deford, a 50-year veteran of Sports Illustrated, once labeled Meltzer the most accomplished reporter in sports journalism.

“You could cover the Vatican or State Department,” Deford said recently, “and not do as good a job as Dave Meltzer does.”

He's spot on about Bisping/GSP.

For months he would claim AJ styles was going to be drafted to raw
Claimed the entire draft was set up for aj to go to raw
Draft happens - Aj still on smackdown
"""plans change"""

<JagsKiddingMe>

What are on about

Love dave, but his insight on pro wrestling is a lot better than his insight on MMA, regarding how things go inside the octagon. He is the best source of information on the business end though.

A lot of guys worship him. But let's be real, he really has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to MMA.

1. He claimed GSP "wasn't doing great in the fight" against bisping and that Bisping "just got caught"
3. He thought that a referee would have been justified in stopping Bisping vs GSP due to cuts

this is just 3 things within like 5 minutes of this video that he said were absolutely idiotic

To be fair, most people (including fighters and their coaches) don't know much about MMA.

I don't know if admitting you don't know who Dave Meltzer is is a good thing.

Indeed.

Dude's been covering MMA for 25 years. I don't agree with all of his opinions, but he's legit and one of the people who helped the sport and MMA fans during the dark days.

GSP wasn't doing great.
Meltzer is a respected and professional journalist. Top 5, probably top 3.
He might not be as knowledgeable in the technical aspect as Rogan or other MMA figures and reporters, but as an MMA journalist, he's top notch.

I don't know if admitting you don't know who Dave Meltzer is is a good thing.
He's a pro wrestling/mma journalist. I don't feel bad about never having heard of him.

A few people in the fight thread, including me, thought Bisping might take over after Round 2 because GSP looked gassed and took some damage in that round. That’s probably what Meltzer was seeing.

Dude has been covering MMA since UFC 1. I think he was even a judge at an early event.

I remember meltzer was gettin all the wrestling scoop back than during the aol dial up years

He's a pro wrestling/mma journalist. I don't feel bad about never having heard of him.
Wow... that dude saying that to you... they must really worship this guy... i forgot he even existed...

WTF!

Hilariously, back in the NHB era, Meltzer served as an MMA judge.

He’s the only single guy in attendance that had balls enough to stand up and say he scored the GSP/Hendricks gift for GSP during Dana’s temper tantrum press conference.

So if for nothing else, he’s ok in my book for that.

He’s the only single guy in attendance that had balls enough to stand up and say he scored the GSP/Hendricks gift for GSP during Dana’s temper tantrum press conference.

So if for nothing else, he’s ok in my book for that.

Didn't know that.

I really don't know if that changes the fact that he seems like a goof though

Didn't know that.

I really don't know if that changes the fact that he seems like a goof though
Yeah I hear ya.

But yeah, it’s right in the beginning. When Dana is being all dicky and says “does anybody here actually think GSP won that fight??” Then meltzer spoke up. And Dana just said something like “you scored it for GSP Meltzer? Ok. Anyone else?”

Yeah I hear ya.

But yeah, it’s right in the beginning. When Dana is being all dicky and says “does anybody here actually think GSP won that fight??” Then meltzer spoke up. And Dana just said something like “you scored it for GSP Meltzer? Ok. Anyone else?”

I respect the hell outta that.

Most reporters are chickenshits.

I respect the hell outta that.

Most reporters are chickenshits.
Yeah dana respects him a lot for some reason. I think it’s because he’s plugged into alot of the casual wrestling fans maybe.

Back