Adapting TKD to MMA

Kyun said:
You practice Tae Kwon Do (or you are very good at using google) and you comment on punching? LMAO. Do you even know how to throw a correct punch?
You don't know what I train. Why don't you stop embarrassing yourself here, huh?

There is no comparison to the training of a TKD practioner and that of a professional muay thai fighter or professional boxer. You can take A LOT more things from boxing and muay thai then the side kick, axe kick, or spinning backkick from TKD. Keep in mind that all those moves and then some can be taken from a more practical fighting martial art in Kyokushin Karate.
No, Olympic TKD fighters don't train hard at all. Or those competing internationally. Glad we could hear your expert opinion, based on getting a TKD black belt in a kickboxing gym in Korea. We really need YOUR opinion on the topic, because none of us have ever met a top TKD competitor.

1) In comparison to Muay Thai kicks, yes they do not generate as much more nor deal as much damage.
2) That was a joke, you forgot that I actual studied TKD as a kid so I am quite familiar with what is actually transferable to MMA. 95% of TKD isn't. You go ahead and try your spinning back kick on me and see what would happen.
3) I never said you can learn a TKD roundhouse from Muay thai, you can learn a muay thai roundhouse which is far more useful.
4) There is no reason to learn how to hop on one foot and change stances only to be shot in on in MMA or get your legs thrown out from underneath you in Muay Thai.
Since you don't know how to do a proper TKD kick, you're not really the one to speak. I don't go around telling people how to do a proper gogoplata or a proper Muay Thai kick, I always tell them to ask somebody with experience. That's honest and helpful. Why are you trying to teach me about TKD kicks?

And if you learned to hop on one foot, you went to a McDojo. Sorry, I feel your pain. Idiots get duped all the time, good thing you noticed it.

No thanks, It's 7:23 am here in Japan and I intend on actually training tonight. I am not going to contribute to your worthless life here on Sherdog. Mr. Gold Belt, that is probably the only belt you actually have (an internet forum belt).
Actually, I don't really care about belts. I enjoy training and I enjoy learning. I didn't go to Korea and ask for a black belt I didn't deserve, from a kickboxing gym, no less.

There is nothing more that I need to learn about TKD or can learn from TKD that would be useful to me. So no thanks.

Here are a few vids showing why TKD is close to useless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk7O8ELJDvU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsuioSpkE_s

The TKD guys are fighting a handicapped muay thai fighter. He isn't allowed to use half his damn arsenal, no punches to the face, elbows and they still get raped.

Another video for the MMA fans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoSFk4thj0s
Yoohoo, you can google, you found some bums on the internet. That's proof! Very scientific!

US Tomato Can said:
Cro-cop probably never had a day of Muay thai training in his life. He was originally a 100% karate guy.

He ballerina-ed many an MMA fighter into sleep land.

ODD.....this is taken from PrideFC website.

NAME Mirko Filipovic
NICK NAME Cro Cop
ASSOCIATION Cro Cop Squad Gym
HEIGHT 6'2 / 185cm
WEIGHT 213 lbs / 97 kg
STYLE Muay Thai
BIRTH DATE 1974-09-10
CITY
STATE
COUNTRY Croatia
PRIDE RECORD 17 / 4 / 2 (win/lose/draw)
MMA RECORD 7 / 1 / 2 (win/lose/draw)

Pride FC site is wrong. He's never trained Muay Thai or even fought in it ever.

The majority of k-1 heavyweights cant doesnt a proper muay thai kick, other than the lowkick.

k-1hw = kickboxing,karate

InternetMonster said:
The majority of k-1 heavyweights cant throw a proper muay thai kick, other than the lowkick

Not these days, true.

Kyun said:
Do you compete in MMA? Do you compete beyond the scope of TKD competition? If not, then no it is not verbal diarrhea. I've seen your tutorials and they aren't going to help someone that is competing in the ring outside of a point sparring competition. Now do as you say you normally do and ignore this whilst practicing your spinning back kicks in the mirror.

Ballerina.

Hahahah

You've solidly cemented yourself as a huge ass just shitting all over a keyboard.

Techniques like the axe kick are useless in the ring? Cro Cop landed a couple on Mark Hunt's face in their fight. Andy Hug used it all the time.

How about the "Brazillian kick" as Kyryllo calls it? Francisco Filho landed one of those on Ernesto Hoosts head. How often does Hoost get kicked in the head?

The spinning back kick has been used to end several fights in MMA history. We don't even have to bring up its use in other ring sports. I've seen the spinning hook kick end a few as well.

As I've mentioned, Fedor Emelianenko describes TKD as indispensable. He competes in MMA. He is the top of the heap.

Shut your mouth and open your eyes and ears for a second and you might learn something.

US Tomato Can said:
Cro-cop probably never had a day of Muay thai training in his life. He was originally a 100% karate guy.

He ballerina-ed many an MMA fighter into sleep land.

He's actually got a TKD background. And yes, he's ballerina'd many MMA and K1 fighters to sleep with his monstrous kicks... which of course have 0 power.

US Tomato Can said:

taken from maxfighting.com

"While BJJ black belt Rodrigo Riscado is in charge of teaching the soft art to Croatian police officer, Vitor Miranda, who has won the title of best heavyweight fighter of Brazilian Muay Thai at Heavyweight Factory GP 1, has been sharing his knowledge of striking with Cro Cop. "Brazilian Muay Thai has different techniques and I am sure I'll learn a lot and teach few tricks to Cro Cop," stated Miranda, who also received compliments from the leader of Cro Cop Squad."

Kyun said:
Yes if It was physically possible I would choke you so you awaken and realize that you are nothing but 17,000 posts. I just came off working an 8 hour shift and you somehow manage to spend all fucking day on this website. Kudos to you, you absolutely have no life.
I have not only worked longer than you today, I also trained more than you.

How does that make you feel? Do you want to choke me now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanko
Evil Eye Gouger,
have you ever trained/fought mma? Just wondering.

No, I haven't. I follow it as a fan, but I have no interest in competing.
Which part of "I don't train MMA" don't you understand. I think it's the "MMA" part.

I don't train for MMA fights. I do train martial arts. And I mix them. But since I don't intend to compete in the ring or the cage under MMA rules, I don't see the reason to train in an MMA gym on a regular basis, other than a friendly spar with a friend here or there.

If reading on Sherdog, watching ufc dvds, and going to the local McDojo count as martial arts experience then No, No, and No. Not at least in this lifetime.
You're the one going to the McDojo as a kid and getting worthless black belts given to you as a gift, don't project your lack of hard training onto me.

I don't know what you train, or how long you train, but it's obvious that you don't understand some simple concepts. Let me explain.

"Footwork" is not like "CD player" you get with your car, and regardless of which car you get, you get something comparable. Footwork is very different in different arts. So if somebody is talking about TKD footwork and you reply "you can learn that in boxing", it is obvious that you don't really understand the difference between boxing footwork and TKD footwork.

Similarly, when you said "you can learn the high kick in Muay Thai" as a response to someone saying that there are high kicks in TKD, you obviously don't realise that it's not a slab of meat in a McDonalds burger, all the same. They are very different kicks. The pivot is different, the balance is different, the body positioning is different, the angles are different, the hip rotation is different. Because of this difference, you have to use them somewhat differently, the Muay Thai kick will open some opportunities that a TKD kick won't, and vice versa.

I simply tried to point this out to you as an argument why there are some positive things that can be taken out of TKD. But if you don't want to learn, it's also OK, I just ask you to not make things up. I don't teach you about kickboxing and choking people through the monitor and sleeping with your parents, so don't teach me about TKD.

CowboyPete said:
As I've mentioned, Fedor Emelianenko describes TKD as indispensable. He competes in MMA. He is the top of the heap.

he also traveled to holland to learn muay thai from Ernesto Hoost. Do you see him attempting any TKD maneuvers in the ring lately?

Kyun said:

"While BJJ black belt Rodrigo Riscado is in charge of teaching the soft art to Croatian police officer, Vitor Miranda, who has won the title of best heavyweight fighter of Brazilian Muay Thai at Heavyweight Factory GP 1, has been sharing his knowledge of striking with Cro Cop. "Brazilian Muay Thai has different techniques and I am sure I'll learn a lot and teach few tricks to Cro Cop," stated Miranda, who also received compliments from the leader of Cro Cop Squad."

Irrelavant. That's not what I'd call Muay Thai.

Kyun said:
Do you compete in MMA? Do you compete beyond the scope of TKD competition? If not, then no it is not verbal diarrhea. I've seen your tutorials and they aren't going to help someone that is competing in the ring outside of a point sparring competition. Now do as you say you normally do and ignore this whilst practicing your spinning back kicks in the mirror.

Ballerina.

oh just for future reference the word is spelled "opinion".
He has competed at a level you will never reach. Good to see how much your training has done for your self-esteem.

Kyun said:

So one fighter who practices Muay Thai training with Cro Cop means he trains Muay Thai? And correcet me if I'm wrong but isn't this guy saying "I'll learn a lot" implying that Cro Cop is a better striker than him?

Kyun said:
he also traveled to holland to learn muay thai from Ernesto Hoost. Do you see him attempting any TKD maneuvers in the ring lately?

Hoost's roots are in karate as well.

US Tomato Can said:
Yeah, he has not formally trained Muay Thai.

He started with Karate, but switched to kickboxing after some time because he wanted harder sparring.

Somewhere along the way he also got a TKD blackbelt, at least according to fortunal from his web forum.

I have heard though, that he has worked with a couple of Muay Thai coaches in his career. Overall, however, his style is very much western kickboxing. He often uses chambered kicks.

The call it 'knockdown' karate which is more in the Seido tradition of things.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
He has competed at a level you will never reach. Good to see how much your training has done for your self-esteem.

I'm sure of that....:rolleyes: posting tuturials on sherdog and fighting in point sparring competitions automatically engraves his spot above me as far as competition.

Hmm while I on the other hand have lived overseas training and fighting with some of the best fighters in Korea and Japan.

Oh well...what can you expect from a fucking forum filled with infantile retards.

Kyun said:

His only fight since he traveled to Korea to train some TKD was against Mark Coleman. There were pretty much no opportunities for him to throw kicks, especially considering how good of a takedown artist Coleman is. Most people would advise against throwing kicks of any kind against that good of a wrestler unless you can set them up flawlessly. Furthermore, a guy isn't going to be a master of TKD with a few months of training it along with the rest of a well rounded MMA program.

Back