Television AHSOKA Live-ActionSeries (Premieres Aug. 23, 2023)

Wow there are still fans left of SW after all the crap Disney pulled over the years and they again delude themselves into thinking this could be quality tv <Lmaoo>. .Incredible.

Are you one of them weird "fandom menace" folk?

If this is anything like Rise of Skywalker...

GOAT

32b7d209e7315fe3ae2c0c1e2fcc808f.gif

to be fair, andor was great, Mando had its moments, the ST sucked across the board, rogue one and solo were disappointments, obi wan and TBoBF both were terribad....only the various animated series had any semblance of consistency......

I frankly think Solo was the best thing Disney Star Wars has made and is criminally underrated. The hate that movie got was about TLJ. People were boycotting the movie for reasons that had nothing to do with the actual movie. I didn't like Rogue One but apparently a lot of people did. I think Anthologys were a great idea and was bummed they got cancelled for the ST's sins.

Rebels had it's moments but it's average episode was much worse than Clone Wars IMO. I'm one of those millenials who just frankly doesn't enjoy the OT period tho. I didn't even watch Andor tbh the concept just doesn't interest me same as Rogue One not into that whole story. Maybe it's great just not my thing. Same with Mando and Boba Fett feel that's more geared towards the older fans. Have seen some clips though. A big issue for me is the I'm too used to seeing the villians actor as Gus Fring and can't really see him as another character.

I wasn't blown away by that trailer at all compared to previous Star Wars TV series.

Couple things I noticed that might turn people off during the season.

1) The choreography for the green female alien during action scenes looks really slow & amateur. Choreography in Star Wars is typically swift & deliberate.

2) The makeup or the lighting looks off in certain scenes.
I know we're watching an edited trailer, but this is Star Wars.

3) Too many monotone voiced characters.
The main character has a monotone voice. Just imagine how the show is going to be if her partner/sidekick also has a monotone voice throughout the show.

I see exactly what you mean with the makeup and action scenes. They really stood out and not in a good way. Also, I'm really unsure of the trend of monotone voiced acting in film and television. People don't talk like that. That's not naturalism. We naturally have inflections when we speak so that people will understand what the fuck we should be paying attention to. These word salads I keep hearing when people speak in shows and movies really irk me.

I frankly think Solo was the best thing Disney Star Wars has made and is criminally underrated. The hate that movie got was about TLJ. People were boycotting the movie for reasons that had nothing to do with the actual movie. I didn't like Rogue One but apparently a lot of people did. I think Anthologys were a great idea and was bummed they got cancelled for the ST's sins.

Rebels had it's moments but it's average episode was much worse than Clone Wars IMO. I'm one of those millenials who just frankly doesn't enjoy the OT period tho. I didn't even watch Andor tbh the concept just doesn't interest me same as Rogue One not into that whole story. Maybe it's great just not my thing. Same with Mando and Boba Fett feel that's more geared towards the older fans. Have seen some clips though. A big issue for me is the I'm too used to seeing the villians actor as Gus Fring and can't really see him as another character.
do yourself a favor and watch Andor. the rest you can skip

I'm one of those millenials who just frankly doesn't enjoy the OT
I didn't even watch Andor
Same with Mando and Boba Fett
c201ca33d6ca7027b312e65e268743d0.gif

Andor is the best written, best acted SW in any medium, ever. If you haven't at least seen it, you can't be taken seriously as a critic of SW. First two seasons of Mando are also really good and if you don't enjoy those, I don't see how you could really enjoy anything SW.

Agree Gus Fring as Moff Gideon sucked ass. Whatever they thought they were doing with Esposito as a big bad, it came out as bantha poodoo, so I agree with you there. 3rd season of Mando was not great but also not bad. Worth seeing to continue the story.

Obi Wan was only bad because certain characters literally sucked. All the scenes with Ewan and Hayden were great - which was the gist of the 2-hour movie format they were written for. They just tacked on 4 extra hours of bullshit to make it a serial and the finished product paid the price - but the Ewan and Hayden scenes are still worth a watch.

BOBF - mixed. Some parts sucked but the first 3 episodes with the sand people was good and worth a watch. 2 episodes are dedicated to Mando and are great. It only becomes terrible when... well. You'll know when.

Live action Ahsoka as introduced in the Mando series (and again in the Mando episodes of BOBF), was very cool. I've never even been a fan of the Ahsoka character but the Rosario Dawson version is good and I'm keen to see more in the Ahsoka series.

I enjoyed the OT but can admit it was space cheese. Agree with the standard criticisms of the PT but overall liked it and ROTS is my favorite SW movie. ST went from OK in TFA to unwatchable in ROS. But overall, I've enjoyed the Disney serials and there's a lot of really cool SW lore in there if you're open minded enough to take the good with the bad.

Last edited:

Andor is the best written, best acted SW in any medium, ever. If you haven't at least seen it, you can't be taken seriously as a critic of SW. First two seasons of Mando are also really good and if you don't enjoy those, I don't see how you could really enjoy anything SW.

Agree Gus Fring as Moff Gideon sucked ass. Whatever they thought they were doing with Esposito as a big bad, it came out as bantha poodoo, so I agree with you there. 3rd season of Mando was not great but also not bad. Worth seeing to continue the story.

Obi Wan was only bad because certain characters literally sucked. All the scenes with Ewan and Hayden were great - which was the gist of the 2-hour movie format they were written for. They just tacked on 4 extra hours of bullshit to make it a serial and the end product paid the price - but the Ewan and Hayden scenes are still worth a watch.

BOBF - mixed. Some parts sucked but the first 3 episodes with the sand people was good and worth a watch. 2 episodes are dedicated to Mando and are great. It only becomes terrible when... well. You'll know when.

Live action Ahsoka as introduced in the Mando series (and again in the Mando episodes of BOBF), was very cool. I've never even been a huge fan of the Ahsoka character but the Rosario Dawson version is good and I'm keen to see more in the Ahsoka series.

I enjoyed the OT but can admit it was space cheese. Agree with the standard criticisms of the PT but overall liked it and ROTS is my favorite SW movie. ST went from OK in TFA to unwatchable in ROS. But overall, I've enjoyed the Disney serials and there's a lot of really cool SW lore in there if you're open minded enough to take the good with the bad.

All this...

..and Thrawn returns...

Obi Wan was only bad because certain characters literally sucked. All the scenes with Ewan and Hayden were great - which was the gist of the 2-hour movie format they were written for. They just tacked on 4 extra hours of bullshit to make it a serial and the finished product paid the price - but the Ewan and Hayden scenes are still worth a watch.

Live action Ahsoka as introduced in the Mando series (and again in the Mando episodes of BOBF), was very cool. I've never even been a fan of the Ahsoka character but the Rosario Dawson version is good and I'm keen to see more in the Ahsoka series.

I'm looking forward to Ashoka because it's the first star wars show in awhile that isn't a prequel of some sort that has established characters you care about(opposed to Mando which builds new ones). There's also the drama dynamic of Ashoka hiding the truth about her past from her friends which is really compelling and interesting. Is Sabine Ashokas student and if so how will she respond to getting roped into this? Where are Ezra and Thrawn? Is Luke running around somewhere now that the wars over? Would Thrawn stand down if ghost Vader tells him to out of respect? There's just so many question marks I'm wondering about. And I don't think I've ever felt that going into a Star Wars project.

We were both on the Kenobi threads. I forgot what my opinions at the time were tbh. I did not hate it I did not love it. It was just there for me. I enjoyed watching it the actors did great. But if I live 50 years it wouldn't surprise me if I never went back to it again.

My issue with Disney(besides the ST which was three mile island) has mostly been the stories they've chosen to tell opposed to the quality. They are either stories either A)don't care about B)feel are unneccessary(I loved Solo but as a general concept everyone thought "why do we need a movie about Han Solo"). Andor seems like it's a Rogue One prequel and is built around characters I didn't find compelling in that movie or other movies(like Mom Mothma). I'm just not interested. I'm aware of the reviews. It's like the Wire or something. I'm aware the shows great the plot just isn't for me. It's like that 10/10 that just is not your type but you can acknowledge is a very attractive beautiful woman. Maybe in a few years I'll give it a try. I have ADD it's generally very difficult to get started on long projects.

I've heard nothing good about BOBF tbh. I do think the Sand people origin story seems like a good start but the Tatooine crime thing doesn't seem interesting. Part of my dislike is I preferred the legends Boba much more. I'm not "THEY DECANONIZED LEGENDS WAHH" sorta person but I really enjoyed the Boba Fett books as a kid and frankly think they still fit into canon really well even though they are not canon. Those books did a really good job of visualizing locations with just words. That was him in the prequel era but the point is I really don't want to see a new take on the character and never found the idea of "what if Boba Fett escapes the Sarlac Pitt" all too interesting it feels like someone saw the Patton Oswalt rant and thought "money".

I think ROTS is most peoples favorite SW movie at this point tbh.

Anyway cheers Chicken Brother. It's alway a pleasure discussing things with you.

There's also the drama dynamic of Ashoka hiding the truth about her past from her friends which is really compelling and interesting. Is Sabine Ashokas student and if so how will she respond to getting roped into this? Where are Ezra and Thrawn? Is Luke running around somewhere now that the wars over?

I won't spoil it but the Mando series answers at least one of these questions, and it is amazing. The Mando series also heavily features important characters from the Clone Wars animated series that you might appreciate.

I'm looking forward to Ashoka because it's the first star wars show in awhile that isn't a prequel of some sort that has established characters you care about(opposed to Mando which builds new ones). Would Thrawn stand down if ghost Vader tells him to out of respect? There's just so many question marks I'm wondering about. And I don't think I've ever felt that going into a Star Wars project.

We were both on the Kenobi threads. I forgot what my opinions at the time were tbh. I did not hate it I did not love it. It was just there for me. I enjoyed watching it the actors did great. But if I live 50 years it wouldn't surprise me if I never went back to it again.

My issue with Disney(besides the ST which was three mile island) has mostly been the stories they've chosen to tell opposed to the quality. They are either stories either A)don't care about B)feel are unneccessary(I loved Solo but as a general concept everyone thought "why do we need a movie about Han Solo"). Andor seems like it's a Rogue One prequel and is built around characters I didn't find compelling in that movie or other movies(like Mom Mothma). I'm just not interested. I'm aware of the reviews. It's like the Wire or something. I'm aware the shows great the plot just isn't for me. It's like that 10/10 that just is not your type but you can acknowledge is a very attractive beautiful woman. Maybe in a few years I'll give it a try. I have ADD it's generally very difficult to get started on long projects.

I've heard nothing good about BOBF tbh. I do think the Sand people origin story seems like a good start but the Tatooine crime thing doesn't seem interesting. Part of my dislike is I preferred the legends Boba much more. I'm not "THEY DECANONIZED LEGENDS WAHH" sorta person but I really enjoyed the Boba Fett books as a kid and frankly think they still fit into canon really well even though they are not canon. Those books did a really good job of visualizing locations with just words. That was him in the prequel era but the point is I really don't want to see a new take on the character and never found the idea of "what if Boba Fett escapes the Sarlac Pitt" all too interesting it feels like someone saw the Patton Oswalt rant and thought "money".

I think ROTS is most peoples favorite SW movie at this point tbh.

Dude, our takes are pretty much aligned. Forgot you were in the OWK thread too - IIRC we agreed on most points. IMHO your pre-conceptions are preventing you from enjoying some great SW content. I was lukewarm on RO too - was like here are some characters I don't really care about and at the end of the movie, they're all dead anyway so IDGAF. But the build to the Vader cameo was great and I appreciated the storytelling.

However, it's hard to make you care about new characters in a 2-hour movie format. That's where SOME of the Disney serials have excelled. Like you, I was like who needs a RO prequel? But I gave it a chance and it was really really great. The best part is filling in gaps in the SW timeline and building overall SW lore. And it introduces one rebel in particular who just might be my favorite SW character now. Like he's a ruthless rebel version of Thrawn. A space pimp with electronic pimp canes attached to his ship. As stupid as this sounds, you have to see it because it is fucking awesome. And pimp.

There's not much I could say about the Mando series that you haven't already heard. IMO it's worth a watch for the plot development alone. But Mando is a really cool character and if you appreciate canon Boba Fett, that's basically what Mando is. Like you get the sense his scenes were written for a lone gunslinger Boba Fett and it is excellent.

I would strongly recommend watching the first two seasons of Mando, the 2 Mando episodes of BOBF (first one is called "Return of the Mandalorian") which are literally episodes of Mando they sandwiched into BOBF because it was sucking so hard. Then read the plot synopses for Mando S3 so you know what happens (worth finding out but S3 isn't as good as S1 and S2). That would get you all caught up with the events that lead into the Ahsoka series. And watch Andor. It rocks.

Anyway cheers Chicken Brother. It's alway a pleasure discussing things with you.

Cheers bro. You always bring the intelligent discussion and I appreciate that.

Last edited:
I've never seen a single episode of Clone Wars or Rebels but I'm gonna give it a shot because I like Rosario Dawson. How lost will I be?

I've never seen a single episode of Clone Wars or Rebels but I'm gonna give it a shot because I like Rosario Dawson. How lost will I be?

Ashoka was only in a few episodes of Rebels but a lot of stuff happened in those episodes(perhaps there is a list of said episodes and you can watch just those?). It does appear this show is picking up straight from the Rebels finale in the beginning you might be lost a little. The rest of the cast is mainly Rebels characters except the 2 new villians and Anakin/Vaders ghost.

Clone Wars is not that relevant except maybe the Mandalore arc(the arc that got everyone excited about Mandalorians etc). Ashoka was Anakin/Vaders apprentice etc and she got kicked out of the Jedi order for being framed as a terrorist and her name was cleared and she refused to come back out of principle hence why she wasn't in ROTS. That's the basic synopsis for the character.

What SW live action movies/shows have lacked since the PT is long term story telling.

The ST was a fucked up mess, RO and Solo were one offs, Andor has a natural bookend, Mando had its ups and downs, Book and Obi were botched to hell.

I’m eagerly anticipating this one. Unfortunately for the most part Disney Star Wars, outside of a few exceptions has been bad. But I trust Dave Filoni, so as long as he’s in charge and not Kathleen Kennedy I have hope. Time will tell.

I don't like Sabine's hairdo and lack of boob size.

Can't recognize MEW as Hera.

I’m eagerly anticipating this one. Unfortunately for the most part Disney Star Wars, outside of a few exceptions has been bad. But I trust Dave Filoni, so as long as he’s in charge and not Kathleen Kennedy I have hope. Time will tell.

Thrawn has potential to be a Thanos level big-bad if they use him right. As much as I want to see him dominate the series I'm hoping less is more and it's a gradual slow burn.

That said based on my opion from the other post on modern SWs lack of long term story telling...

Looks like 2 eps tonight 9 EST, 6 PST?

Might be up late

Next-episode.net says there's a 3rd show, an Ahsoka special dropping at the same time.

Back