Multiplatform Alan Wake II

Been meaning to play Control. That one was sitting in the backburner forever.. might have to actually give it some effort and try the game out. I've also never played Alan Wake but I just check my PS game inventory and I have the remastered version (Thank you PS Plus). Just downloaded it so its on my list of games I must tackle.
If you've never played AW, I recommend just setting difficulty to easy and playing, enjoying the super interesting story and VA in celebration of the sequel we're finally getting a decade+ on. The game's traversal and combat are probably disruptively dated at this point and I could see some encounters being hair-tearing and forcing a checkpoint or chapter restart because you've no ammo, batteries, flares whatever and can't progress.

The original is a masterclass in game narrative design or plot exposition, IMO. Strongly recommend. Remedy are real-deal storytellers; we have so few studio houses who are nowadays.

Control was a sleeper hit for me. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was and I loved every second. What made it special for me outside of the amazing combat was that the game never let you out of it's grip. It was one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. One of the ending levels was a masterclass in level design as well. Incredible.

From the accounts I follow who have had a chance to play the game, the resounding feeling is we're in for a treat. I stopped reading / watching reviews for now. I'm also hoping for more immersive combat as I felt AW1 felt reputative and lackluster.

Yea I knew Control would be good because I loved Remedy and I just heard so much about it. It was even better than what I went in expecting. The atmosphere was amazing. I want to replay it again on my PS5 but I just don't know when I will ever get the chance to do that at this point because 2023 decided to drop a bomb of amazing games. When I do replay it though it's going to be for the plat.

Rumors are you can pre-load tonight. My girlfriend is spending the night in Tijuana with her friends on the 27th. This will leave me the whole night to play when the kids fall asleep. Stoked.

Rumors are you can pre-load tonight. My girlfriend is spending the night in Tijuana with her friends on the 27th. This will leave me the whole night to play when the kids fall asleep. Stoked.
Hopefully they use common sense. I know it’s a party place but it’s also one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Those two things don’t mix well together.

Hopefully they use common sense. I know it’s a party place but it’s also one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Those two things don’t mix well together.

For sure. She actually grew up there and that's were all of her friends are. But even then, it can be a pretty sketchy place sometimes.

What's coming out ATM is this being intensive to run (but not Cyberpunk 2077 levels). Let me find something and throw it up for ma fellow writer detectives. I'm sure it's no less immersive and eerie but recommended right now is to play with path tracing off in favour of frame rate.

e/ Here are final PC spec recommendations:

AW2PC.jpeg

What's coming out ATM is this being intensive to run (but not Cyberpunk 2077 levels). Let me find something and throw it up for ma fellow writer detectives. I'm sure it's no less immersive and eerie but recommended right now is to play with path tracing off in favour of frame rate.

I think this is a perfect game to go Quality over Performance. Unless of course they have drastically improved the combat.

I think this is a perfect game to go Quality over Performance. Unless of course they have drastically improved the combat.
Yea it is, I think even the devs said so. This kind of game is all about immersion and the type of combat doesn’t require high framerate

Yea it is, I think even the devs said so. This kind of game is all about immersion and the type of combat doesn’t require high framerate
If the combat is like the first game, this (quality) is definitely the way to go. New York is going to be so eerie.

Not sure how much boss fights will have evolved but I do remember having trouble in parts of the original with those kinetic objects hard-targeting you and beaming across the screen (like the farm or agricultural equipment); might be nice if they ramp those up in this to have more frames on successful dodge. Knowing Remedy, Hard will be hard AF.

I read people reporting frame rate drop into the 20s, BTW, with path tracing. Just saying. I’ll need to play and see how everything feels. Quality or performance – I don’t know.

The way they are hyping up this game, it's got GOTY vibe to it. It seems to be a very VERY crowded year this time around.

The reviews are crazy! 89 on Metacritic. 91 on Opencritic

First was so damn good. I hope they keep that episodic format to the game. It just dragged me right in to the story.

The game is crushing it. Awesome to hear. Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow night.

Love that this is getting great reviews. I'm tempted to run through the first game again since it was given free on PS before playing this. In the middle of Judgement now.

Just ordered a new laptop and I get a free copy of this game!
It was most definitely not on my radar but after reading this thread I'm pretty stoked to be able to play it now.
My new rig is light years ahead of the old one so I should be able to play on high settings with ray tracing.

Still thinking about whether I should get this game ps5 or pc (ryzen 5 7600x / rtx4060).

Back