Anthony Bourdain kills himself

I find the whole subject of suicide and people's reaction to it very interesting. So many people have a lot of sympathy for those left behind but very little for the people who kill themselves.

As far as mental illness goes, are the people who kill themselves mentally ill or is it the rest of us who continue on in the pointless exercise we call life that are mentally ill? Are humans any better than the weeds that take over a yard? Are we better than the viruses that kill us? Maybe suicidal people have come to the realization that life doesn't have a purpose and the rest of us have convinced ourselves that there is a purpose and a value to life when we are just a random collection of elements.
Nobody blames cancer patients, says it's their fault for not trying to survive. People don't seem to get mental illness is just that, an illness. Nobody wants it, nobody has the ability to just "get over it" People seem to confuse it with being sad, but being sad and being CRAZY are two very different things.

Nobody blames cancer patients, says it's their fault for not trying to survive. People don't seem to get mental illness is just that, an illness. Nobody wants it, nobody has the ability to just "get over it" People seem to confuse it with being sad, but being sad and being CRAZY are two very different things.

Agreed, but I also get how it must look to people who are inexperienced or uneducated on the subject.

They think it truly is just a choice the person made.. he just chose to hang himself, similar to the choice you make when you order for lunch or what you buy at walmart.. Instead of looking at it that way, it's better to look at it as an irrational action caused by mental illness.

Agreed, but I also get how it must look to people who are inexperienced or uneducated on the subject.

They think it truly is just a choice the person made.. he just chose to hang himself, similar to the choice you make when you order for lunch or what you buy at walmart.. Instead of looking at it that way, it's better to look at it as an irrational action caused by mental illness.
It's tragic for the surviving family. I don't know why people can't acknowledge that it's tragic for everyone involved and there aren't always good guys and bad guys.

I sort of get it, I had a friend that came pretty close to killing himself while he had a newborn baby. I wanted to be pissed off and my gut reaction was you don't get to do shit like that now, but merely having loved ones and responsibilities doesn't magically make you not crazy anymore. Hell both of my parents are/were crazy as fuck, and sometimes I still think I can be crazy but still be a rational person, why couldn't they. But everyone's crazy is different.

I really enjoyed both of them with no real preference. His show in between those two, The Layover, is the only one that i did not need to see every episode of.
forgot about that show, i liked that too. the show i didnt like was 'the taste"

Why is everybody so damn convinced he did this because he was depressed... and not because he thought it would be good showmanship to go out while on top?

Or maybe he was so pissed off at his girlfriend or his ex-wife that he was just trying to hurt them by hurting himself.

There are lots of reasons that one may kill themselves, not everybody can be made into a martyr for depression.

Why is everybody so damn convinced he did this because he was depressed... and not because he thought it would be good showmanship to go out while on top?

Or maybe he was so pissed off at his girlfriend or his ex-wife that he was just trying to hurt them by hurting himself.

There are lots of reasons that one may kill themselves, not everybody can be made into a martyr for depression.

Good post.

I'll go with gf or fell off the wagon and moment of feeling of failure. I'll wait for the tox report.

Ummm sure they do -- if they don't pursue evidence based medical treatments.
Ok and most depressed people do seek help. Meds, therapy, lifestyle changes. If there was a magic solution they'd jump on it. Nobody WANTS to be depressed.

I'll admit it is one of those things really hard to comprehend by people, like myself who have never experienced it. Mainly because it seems mostly self inflicted unlike cancer. And i say that understanding that there might be brain wiring issues that are not self inflicted.

When it comes to someone like Anthony Bourdain who traveled so much of the world, dealt with so many poor and desperate people in regions and spoke about how with nothing they still had their spirit and smiles, it is really hard to understand who his apparent obsession with a new girlfriend (if that was the cause) or any other problem in his life, would not be taken in the context by him of "you know what, what I am going through right now sucks but I am still immensely gifted and lucky and blessed compared to so many others I have encountered".

it is hard for us (me) to put aside that a person with an otherwise rationale mind cannot use that part to counter to the ill part. But I have got to the point where I simply accept that I cannot know what I do not know and therefore I, personally reserve judgement.

forgot about that show, i liked that too. the show i didnt like was 'the taste"
What, he had another show called The Taste or was that one where he was a celebrity chef judge? I will have to check out his IMDB.

Here it is. Some things I will have to check out later.

2018 Christiane Amanpour: Sex & Love Around the World (TV Series) (executive producer - 6 episodes)

2017Anthony Bourdain Presents: RAD Stories (TV Movie documentary) (executive producer)

2017Wasted! The Story of Food Waste (Documentary) (producer)

2016Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent (Documentary) (executive producer)

2012-2015The Mind of a Chef (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 36 episodes)

2013-2015Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 20 episodes)

2015Bone in the Throat (executive producer)

2013-2015The Taste (TV Series) (executive producer - 15 episodes)

2014The Getaway (TV Series) (executive producer - 1 episode)

2011-2013The Layover (TV Series documentary) (executive producer - 13 episodes)

2011-2012Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (TV Series documentary) (executive

I'll admit it is one of those things really hard to comprehend by people, like myself who have never experienced it. Mainly because it seems mostly self inflicted unlike cancer. And i say that understanding that there might be brain wiring issues that are not self inflicted.

When it comes to someone like Anthony Bourdain who traveled so much of the world, dealt with so many poor and desperate people in regions and spoke about how with nothing they still had their spirit and smiles, it is really hard to understand who his apparent obsession with a new girlfriend (if that was the cause) or any other problem in his life, would not be taken in the context by him of "you know what, what I am going through right now sucks but I am still immensely gifted and lucky and blessed compared to so many others I have encountered".

it is hard for us (me) to put aside that a person with an otherwise rationale mind cannot use that part to counter to the ill part. But I have got to the point where I simply accept that I cannot know what I do not know and therefore I, personally reserve judgement.
With myself and everyone I've known like me, it's definitely not self inflicted. I got the perfect storm for instability: Both of my parents are severely mentally unstable, my childhood was filled with abuse and neglect, etc.

But the crazy didn't really start for me until puberty. It was instantaneous and permanent. I went from a kid that just wanted to play, that was a bit shy, to a shut in overnight. Never wanted to leave the house. Felt like everything I touched was contaminated. Went from a kid that liked to go out and play and get dirty to someone that had to take multiple showers every day, wash their hands until they bled, was paranoid to touch anything in a public place because of germs. Overnight, with no history of giving a single fuck about things like that.

Then came the anxiety, and severe depression. By my late teens I was thinking about suicide every day and harming myself. Drinking until I'd black out, etc. It was horrifying. At a time you're supposed to be trying to establish an adult self, my mind had been taken from me by forces beyond my control. I'm a lot more stable now, and I've worked goddamn hard to GET more stable.

But I'm not normal and I'm not happy. I struggle to date or make friends, to work a job without eventually losing my temper and ruining it. I think about killing myself every single day. I'll let my mind wander then realize I'm debating the merits of hanging vs overdosing vs driving my car off of a cliff. But I go on and I make plans and I say around the corner it will get better. Although it never does. And then I look at someone that just couldn't do it anymore, and all I feel is sad for them. Even if they had more money and friends than me, women flocked to them, whatever.

Obviously whatever they had still wasn't enough to beat the sickness every single day. And you're in a battle every day and you HAVE to win every day. Then someday you just can't anymore and people say what a pussy, he should have tried fighting it.

<DisgustingHHH>

Sorry, I just don't agree. Wanting to be dead is not an advancement of the species. It serves no benefit or advantage that would serve as an advancement. If all of us "advanced" to that point, the species would die out.

Death leaves a place for another person. Look at nature. Salmon lay their eggs and die. Leaves provide food for the tree for a season and die allowing new ones to grow the next season. Blades of grass die to allow the root to live. If there are too many trees too close together, some of them die. Humans go to war and die for very sketchy reasons. In many mammal species, the male plays no part in raising the young.

I personally would struggle even more with believing or understanding any of your reasons being the one without it being layered with depression on top of that.

Like I may never be able to beat my current success depression.

Or I will hurt my GF or EX depression.

The idea of someone going against every biological survival instinct and committing suicide without depression is not one I think is possible but as i said prior this is not a topic I will pretend I have any domain expertise in so I am open to evidence.

With myself and everyone I've known like me, it's definitely not self inflicted. I got the perfect storm for instability: Both of my parents are severely mentally unstable, my childhood was filled with abuse and neglect, etc.

But the crazy didn't really start for me until puberty. It was instantaneous and permanent. I went from a kid that just wanted to play, that was a bit shy, to a shut in overnight. Never wanted to leave the house. Felt like everything I touched was contaminated. Went from a kid that liked to go out and play and get dirty to someone that had to take multiple showers every day, wash their hands until they bled, was paranoid to touch anything in a public place because of germs. Overnight, with no history of giving a single fuck about things like that.

Then came the anxiety, and severe depression. By my late teens I was thinking about suicide every day and harming myself. Drinking until I'd black out, etc. It was horrifying. At a time you're supposed to be trying to establish an adult self, my mind had been taken from me by forces beyond my control. I'm a lot more stable now, and I've worked goddamn hard to GET more stable.

But I'm not normal and I'm not happy. I struggle to date or make friends, to work a job without eventually losing my temper and ruining it. I think about killing myself every single day. I'll let my mind wander then realize I'm debating the merits of hanging vs overdosing vs driving my car off of a cliff. But I go on and I make plans and I say around the corner it will get better. Although it never does. And then I look at someone that just couldn't do it anymore, and all I feel is sad for them. Even if they had more money and friends than me, women flocked to them, whatever.

Obviously whatever they had still wasn't enough to beat the sickness every single day. And you're in a battle every day and you HAVE to win every day. Then someday you just can't anymore and people say what a pussy, he should have tried fighting it.

<DisgustingHHH>
ya tough spot and I certainly know people can be born into or inherit shitty situations. Sorry to hear it and certainly I can follow that path you painted and see how that could create ongoing challenges and issues.

but then I see someone like my brothers step daughter. All the benefits and support in the world. Loving parents. Good life. Big friendship circle at school as a popular kid. Everything she could ask for and yet, like you suffers from severe anxiety. Won't clean her room or make her bed and washes her hands until they bleed. Has been isolating herself more and more over the last few years. fighting with her parents and particularly her mother as teens do and just been in this slide.

Very early in the process before any of this was extreme of diagnosed they went for family counseling and they suggested she was suffering anxiety and they laid out how it might manifest and how to cope, not just to the parents but also to her. And sure enough she ended up following what they painted as the worst case slide.

My brother was very frustrated with the entire process from the start as he (like I do) believe that sometimes focusing on small problems too much can make them seem like big problems. So ya, that is the 'get over it' stuff you might here. I am not convinced that much of this, where there is no clear trigger like with my niece, is not psychosomatic or self inflicted. that if instead of focusing on the problems and treating problems that instead you tried to take their focus off the problem and onto more productive stuff, that things would not be better for most.

Its a tough topic because maybe I am just wrong and whether it someone like you with a trigger or someone like my niece with no obvious trigger, maybe some peoples brains are just wired towards this. but I am not so sure. But I am also no expert and recognize this.

I imagine 90% of sherdog is now on suicide watch given how much ball washing of Bourdain went on around here.
Does this ball washing include sniffing for Asia Argento's lady parts? If so, I might have to join in.
upload_2018-6-15_14-7-50.jpeg

No it doesn't.

Now move along.
images

What, he had another show called The Taste or was that one where he was a celebrity chef judge?e
yes he was a judge, but not like a guest judge. he was a regular judge and the format of the show had him as one of the head chefs for contestants that were split up into different teams.

it was just another typical reality cooking show.

She's nowhere near as hot nowadays and the fact that she's got tattoos all over her arms and chest too now, just makes her look like white trash.
I just remember her in Land of the dead, she'll always be in that changing room in my fantasies.

So I guess heroine and cigarettes are detrimental to your youthful appearance, who would have thought

Crazy thing about him killing himself, about a day or so after I was watching the episode of Archer he was a guest star, half the episode he kept telling everyone to kill themselves. Kind of caught me off guard when I kept hearing that.

Back