Anyone been to Japan

Anyone been to Japan? I'm thinking of going there in about a month or so for a short vacation. Not sure what to expect. I need an in-between vacation for when I go to either Philippinian islands again or Thailand islands in 6 months.

Japan was great! I recommend Tsukiji Fish Market and Going up mount Inari in the middle of the night

Google where the nuclear bomb shelters are first in case Godzilla or Gundam doesn't show up to save Japan from the nukes.

I lived there as a child and as an adult. One of the best time of my life was spent in Japan. @boingyman @HelloJapan @kevy2pale @Pugilistic

I thought the Odaiba Gundam was taken down and replaced by a different one. Forgot where I read that.

EDIT: I saw the replacement is Unicorn Gundam, which I'm not familiar with and doesn't have the classic red, white, and blue and yellow color scheme.

Last edited:
Been there four times. Unless you speak Japanese, go with a friend.

Japan is cool. Saw a bit of Tokyo but mainly Sasebo, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Misawa, and Aomori Prefecture with smaller parts in between. The people are nice, the culture is rich with tradition, and there are fun things to do. If you go, immerse yourself in the culture and experience. Don't be afraid to take a train, many locals will help you navigate and purchase your tickets. When you look at a train map it's a daunting task.

Anyone been to Japan? I'm thinking of going there in about a month or so for a short vacation. Not sure what to expect. I need an in-between vacation for when I go to either Philippinian islands again or Thailand islands in 6 months.

sports @ 5:58

I lived on Okinawa for four years and loved it! I went to the mainland twice, once to climb Mt. Fuji and once to the Tokyo Gameshow (video games!!!!!!). You can get by in the big cities on English (especially Tokyo) because a lot of the signs will have their English translation underneath the Kanji.

If you can stay at the New Sanno,(Gov't employees/Military) DO IT. It's right in the heart of Tokyo and near the Japanese Rail (JR) station. There's also an AWESOME Thai restaurant near also.

Act like you have manners
Don't tip... EVER.
Don't use your cell phone on the trains.
It's ok to get smashed on alcohol there, just don't be an @$$.

I spent just under a year in Okinawa.

Would not recommend.

Long read, but read it for inspiration.

A year ago this time. Spent 3 weeks in Tokyo and the surrounding area. We went out all day everyday and I feel like I didnt see shit.

Great piece of advice I can give you, the exciting shit, the truly exciting shit in Tokyo happens up and down not across. Look for things on multiple levels. Second great piece of advice, if you see ANY AMERICANS flooding in one direction or toward the same thing, even if you think its your little secret, go the opposite way. American tourist shit is $$$ not $ and boring as balls.

For instance, we were bar hopping, decided to go to X because it was supposedly dope, saw shit tons of Amies all around the area, were like fuck that, and bolted. We wandered around, then climbed down some stairs to a basement, ended up drinking until 4am at some live action monster show bar. Not the one that is all stupid expensive and famous, American joint, or the stupid robot bar. This was like where all the Japanese actors on the live action monster shows hang out. Think Power Rangers pre US release. We ended up drinking with Takao Nakano and Hideo Ishiguros sister. Director of Ultraman 2016 and Ultramans sister. It was pretty dope.

Another time we ended up at some rando rum bar, smoking cuban cigars, with a cuban refugee who found his way onto a fishing vessel, fucking currents man. This was some back alley bar in some house. Great fucking cigars.

Another night we ended up drinking rando awesome coffee in some rando neighborhood midday, then the guy is like, do you like France, and I do. He put on old 1920s French classics, ON VINYL, like straight up phonograph and busted out some old port and some old old absinthe and we had coffee and absinthe. Then when we left, it was like 6pm, and we stumbled on the best damn katsu ever.

One night we tried to hit a 3 michelin star fish joint, got fucking turned away from our reservation, no bullshit, I look hood at times though and especially on vacation, and ended up at a Michelin star ramen joint.

We snuck into Tsukiji fish market at like 3:45am maybe 4:45am I cant remember and we were there as they were unloading fish from the boats. No one around except the fishermen and there we are, wife and I just fucking chillin watching everyone, just standing in one spot until like 7am.

Then another day we hit all the underground dept store food courts to be stupid. Then another day we had lunch at some rando brasserie and it they had better croissants that I had in Paris.

Then on a rando Sunday I went to BJJ with an affiliate team at this sports complex where my toes got all ripped up. Japanese mattes are ribbed and made of tacky rubby not slick vinyl!

Then I got drunk as shit one night and the next day had the best ramen and coca-cola of my life, no bullshit.

Then one day we went to Tokyo Disney. That place, that mother fucker is the happiest place on earth. Not world, not land, not Euro, but Tokyo. Clean, respectful, stupid amazing light show.

Highlight, rando sunday, walking from Ginza to Harajuku, we were going to cut across the Meiji temple and on our way to cut across Meiji, I heard music, mind you Im deaf as balls from years of playing music. Like 10am, maybe 10:30am. In any case Im like lets walk toward the music, we walk to this nondesctipt building, and open the door, totally muffled. Head down a flight of stairs, and then see this rando girl sitting there. We buy two tix, $5, and head downstairs to the basement of this joint building. We open the door and KABOOM, it fucking opens up, two levels, if you can imagine it, and there are Japanese indie bands playing. It was great. 4 hours later, we make it to Meiji and Harajuku.

All this stuff Im telling you is like legit back alley, or third floor, or second subbasement stuff.

Last edited:
God the chick in that thumbnail is so fucking HNNNNNGGGGG
giphy.gif

I went to Hiroshima, Kyoto and Tokyo. All three were great. It’s easy to get around on the Shinkanzin.

The shopping district near the fish market in Tokyo, the bambo forests and temples near Kyoto and the memorial in Hiroshima were all amazing.

Visiting Hiroshima had a big impact on me, my feelings about the war, and nuclear weapons. It’s not what people think.

You can get a train from Narita Airport to the station right past Tokyo, and transfer to the bullet train. That’s how we did it - strait to Hiroshima, then travel back to the airport for a week, stopping wherever.

Back