Anyone been to Japan

Bump. I'm currently in Japan, staying near Shinjuku, and what a country, best country i've been to in Asia. Going to the sumo tomorrow, should be awesome, drank heaps and done karaoke etc, great call for my company doing their yearly kickoff meeting in Kyoto that's for sure!

Bump. I'm currently in Japan, staying near Shinjuku, and what a country, best country i've been to in Asia. Going to the sumo tomorrow, should be awesome, drank heaps and done karaoke etc, great call for my company doing their yearly kickoff meeting in Kyoto that's for sure!

Did you bang yet? :p

Any recommendations on places to eat in Osaka? We have a list of several places for ramen, udon, wagyu/matsusakagyu beef that we haven't tried yet. We have an extra day in Osaka since we decided to skip Kobe this time.

I'm having second thoughts. I don't speak Japanese and it's gonna be tough getting around not understanding the characters. I don't wanna stay in Tokyo, either.
They have English next to Japanese on many, many signs.

There may be two rooftop batting cages and one ground level batting cage in Shinjuku.

For those who've been, do they speak English much there? How do you communicate?

Would love to go and visit the Motorcycle scene, HRC - Suzuka Etc.... Sadly my wife, (Chinese) would likely never allow it.

SIgn her up for a triathlon or tell her there is a Greek Pizza joint run by Mexicans.

SIgn her up for a triathlon or tell her there is a Greek Pizza joint run by Mexicans.

All is not lost I guess. She's allowed me to have a 2nd wife. So far its been pretty fun.

For those who've been, do they speak English much there? How do you communicate?
Japanese don't speak English well as a whole but they seemed to know basic English well enough to get that I'm asking for directions or something. Most people have answered that they don't speak English when I asked if they speak English, but everybody is super polite and helpful. The time someone answered, "Yes I speak English" was this girl at a supermarket, and she didn't speak English very well either. I wanted to know what a sticker on this packaged sushi dish meant. I assumed it was saying buy one get one free but I wanted to make sure. She obviously didn't speak English very well because she totally misunderstood my question so turned out she was wrong when I got up to the counter to pay for it. Sushi was still damn good so no biggie though.

Japanese don't speak English well as a whole but they seemed to know basic English well enough to get that I'm asking for directions or something. Most people have answered that they don't speak English when I asked if they speak English, but everybody is super polite and helpful. The time someone answered, "Yes I speak English" was this girl at a supermarket, and she didn't speak English very well either. I wanted to know what a sticker on this packaged sushi dish meant. I assumed it was saying buy one get one free but I wanted to make sure. She obviously didn't speak English very well because she totally misunderstood my question so turned out she was wrong when I got up to the counter to pay for it. Sushi was still damn good so no biggie though.

I see. Well someday I'd definitely like to visit Japan but I don't speak the language and I don't know anyone who does. So I'm trying to figure out how I'll communicate once I get there.

Ha ha, not yet bro! (I'm married)

This. No issues as a westerner, and most speak at least a little bit of English.

Hey that would be fun!
In Japan, batting cages are called batting centers. Arcades = Game Center.

Oslo Batting Center in Shinjuku:
DSC_0053.jpg

I think this is the one I went to a lot. They have these circular targets at the top where if you hit it with the ball, it's a homerun. I think this one's pitching machines were easier to see when the ball was coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back