Anyone been to Japan

--How important is it to know Japanese in Tokyo?

--Good places to train martial arts in Tokyo?

I'm thinking about going to the Philippines in November and Tokyo in March b/c I think an extra 3-4 months of casual study of Japanese would help me.

Last edited:

I'm thinking about going to the Philippines in November and Tokyo in March b/c I think an extra 3-4 months of casual study of Japanese would help me.
Search youtube for uploads by Jennifer Julien. I just watched a vid where she livestreamed how to buy a special Skyline train ticket to go from city to Narita Airport in 30 min. Cost around $12. Apparently the ticket machine has a button to press for English and the train platform and train announcements are in Japanese, English, Mandarin, Korean, and maybe more languages. I think there are multi-lingual signs all over and with icons especially in prep for Olympics there in 2020.

Search for NHK World Tokyo Eye for martial arts training. I think there was a segment where a foreigner went to various places where they allow tourists to train and lend them a gi, etc. I recall one segment where they practice throwing ninja stars.

If you're worried about language, go to iTunes eBooks and buy the e-version of Martin's Concise dictionary which is good because it has the Japanese words spelled in English and shows the Japanese characters.

Man for a second I thought wow got unbant. What a harmless poster to fuckin permaban.

Just got back from Japan. Landed like 2 hours ago.

I probably know 20-30 words of Japanese. No problem at all getting around or communicating. Was awesome. Food is great and everywhere.

Man for a second I thought wow got unbant. What a harmless poster to fuckin permaban.

He was a dork obsessed with guns to give himself a sense of control.

I hardly miss him and his endless supply of wizard threads and home invasion videos meant to reinforce his “passion” for the 2nd amendment.

He was a dork obsessed with guns to give himself a sense of control.

I hardly miss him and his endless supply of wizard threads and home invasion videos meant to reinforce his “passion” for the 2nd amendment.
I didn't agree with him on political stuff but that's no reason to ban anyone. After his mom died he made thread after thread about how sad he was, wishing he could go back and spend more time with her etc.

Seemed like an odd but good dude having a hard time processing grief. He was one of us and they shouldn't have banned him when he was depressed and going through some shit, and using sherdog as an outlet.

I didn't agree with him on political stuff but that's no reason to ban anyone. After his mom died he made thread after thread about how sad he was, wishing he could go back and spend more time with her etc.

Seemed like an odd but good dude having a hard time processing grief. He was one of us and they shouldn't have banned him when he was depressed and going through some shit, and using sherdog as an outlet.

The timing is suspect then, I agree.

I still don’t understand why he got banned? And what happened to RR? And Homer Thompson?

I still don’t understand why he got banned? And what happened to RR? And Homer Thompson?
I'm assuming war room shit. A lot of people that are nice in the berry are lunatics in the wr. Imo if you're an OG like that they should just ban you from that subforum for a certain length of time. Perma ban is overkill. It might sound pathetic but a lot of people here are lonely and don't have much other social interaction going on. WOW clearly didnt. I think perma banning someone like that is fucking mean.

RR got caught up in some sort of mod/admin stuff but I don't know details.

Homer got caught up in one of those nasty wr purges but again I don't know details. To protect my account and sanity I stopped posting there years ago. I'm pretty mild and friendly but even I would be banned by now if I was still a WR regular.

RR being gone is especially sad. He was a really nice guy.

I'm assuming war room shit. A lot of people that are nice in the berry are lunatics in the wr. Imo if you're an OG like that they should just ban you from that subforum for a certain length of time. Perma ban is overkill. It might sound pathetic but a lot of people here are lonely and don't have much other social interaction going on. WOW clearly didnt. I think perma banning someone like that is fucking mean.

RR got caught up in some sort of mod/admin stuff but I don't know details.

Homer got caught up in one of those nasty wr purges but again I don't know details. To protect my account and sanity I stopped posting there years ago. I'm pretty mild and friendly but even I would be banned by now if I was still a WR regular.

Yeah, I completely agree about the ban. The sad part is they get mods that go on power trips and obviously don’t care about someone’s longevity before deciding to permaban. Funnily enough, the only yellows I ever got was in the Berry. And only for saying the F word because I saw a mod using it indiscriminately in another thread, lol.

The last I remember of RR was he was drunk posting in the sports bar, challenging a poster to fight him and just overall being a dick. Might’ve had something to do with that? Idk.

And yeah, the WR is something I usually avoid, too. Seen so many people banned because of posting in there.

Yeah, I completely agree about the ban. The sad part is they get mods that go on power trips and obviously don’t care about someone’s longevity before deciding to permaban. Funnily enough, the only yellows I ever got was in the Berry. And only for saying the F word because I saw a mod using it indiscriminately in another thread, lol.

The last I remember of RR was he was drunk posting in the sports bar, challenging a poster to fight him and just overall being a dick. Might’ve had something to do with that? Idk.

And yeah, the WR is something I usually avoid, too. Seen so many people banned because of posting in there.
Was going through some stuff a year or two ago and made the mistake of popping in there and I had a complete meltdown. Even quit the dog for a week or so until I calmed down. I don't even lurk there anymore.

Some of the most garbage human beings I've ever met, and I just don't need that negativity in my life. I'm trying to be a more positive person not look for things to get upset about.

Eh, if the ban comes from the WR you probably deserved it. You have to work pretty hard at being a piece of shit to get banned from there these days.

It's like watching a car crash sometimes, can't help but look.

Eh, if the ban comes from the WR you probably deserved it. You have to work pretty hard at being a piece of shit to get banned from there these days.

It's like watching a car crash sometimes, can't help but look.

If you look at any old thread that resurfaced, half the posters are banned, so no, you don't have to work hard to get banned. It's like this place likes to lose money. I've never seen a forum that has banned half of its remaining posters.

Kyoto

Saihouji-kokedera02.jpg

Kozanji_Kyoto_Kyoto11s5s4592.jpg

Toji0116.jpg

Kyoto_Skyline_-_Pentinlo.jpg

Kinkaku-ji_the_Golden_Temple_in_Kyoto_overlooking_the_lake_-_high_rez.JPG

GinkakujiTemple.jpg

kyoto-Arashiyama-Hanatoro.jpg

Kyoto_Tower_at_dusk%2C_from_railway_station.jpg

You really don't need to speak any Japanese to get around in Tokyo (or Osaka for that matter), but it always helps to know a bit just for goodwill. This is assuming you are just visiting of course; if you are gonna live there then yeah you really should

he was a racebaiting troll that fantasized about shooting blacks and hispanics. The fact that his mother died doesnt make him any less of a shithead that tried to agitate the forum.

Back