Anyone else have all their old friends become SJW?

The black community is effected by Jim Crow laws. People, places, actions, policies have lasting effects that ripple through time. Jim Crow was only abolished FIFTY years ago. How could you think it doesn't have a lasting effect? You cannot make up for the socio-economic gap between slaves and mainstream society in only 50-150 years.

We agree that their economic status should not be used as an excuse for the terrible culture.

So which communities/areas? Black people from Africa do alright in America so what more can be given? How do you help every poor area in America?

Why is America letting in so many immigrants when there are so many already in the country that need help?

Hey man I just want to know exactly where they are.

The poor black communities of America today. Do you really believe that the Political-Social-Economic climates of the past played absolutely Zero part in where they are today?

We agree that their economic status should not be used as an excuse for the terrible culture.
That's not true at all. If you have just a surface level understanding of economics and sociology you understand that the lower socio-economic status a population has, the less educated they are, the more crime they commit, the more children they have. The economic status has a big impact but the cultures they've developed because of that lower status, like thug culture, are not helpful to them at all.
So which communities/areas? Black people from Africa do alright in America so what more can be given? How do you help every poor area in America?
You can't. You have to remove the barriers to entry, improve their education, improve the infrastructure of their neighborhoods, and try to give them every opportunity to succeed. This effect will compound over time and lift them up.
Why is America letting in so many immigrants when there are so many already there that need help?
I completely agree. When people are struggling for jobs, when wages are so low, it does not help ANYONE, especially minorities, to flood the country with cheap labor.

Black people, males in particular are being singled out. A lot of hate and a lot of racism directed towards them.

To call them pussies for pointing that out is a bit strange.

Bigots desperately look for injustices when there aren't any and pretty much blame everything on minorities .

Fixed!

See how that works....

I haven't been on facebook in years and I made the mistake of going on there for the first time in forever and it made me realize why I don't keep in touch with most of my older friends. All of them are left wing nutjobs. Every single post is complaining about how racist trump is, how terrible America is, how the rape culture and gun culture is out of control. These were all kids that did really well in my school and I know they have brains. That makes it even more confusing. How do smart kids end up like this?

I have half SJWs and half MAGA fanatics. I am a free market oriented libertarian Democrat and sometimes it feels very lonely but I get by.

The poor black communities of America today. Do you really believe that the Political-Social-Economic climates of the past played absolutely Zero part in where they are today?

Every single one? Would you count Detroit?

That's not true at all. If you have just a surface level understanding of economics and sociology you understand that the lower socio-economic status a population has, the less educated they are, the more crime they commit, the more children they have. The economic status has a big impact but the cultures they've developed because of that lower status, like thug culture, are not helpful to them at all.

You can't. You have to remove the barriers to entry, improve their education, improve the infrastructure of their neighborhoods, and try to give them every opportunity to succeed. This effect will compound over time and lift them up.

I completely agree. When people are struggling for jobs, when wages are so low, it does not help ANYONE, especially minorities, to flood the country with cheap labor.

I just look at the behavior of black people (some) here in Canada that act in the same way. Despite all the opportunity they would rather sell drugs, commit crime and shoot up the place. I think people that engage in thug life do it because they think it's cool.

Can't argue with the rest of your post!

Every single one? Would you count Detroit?

I'd say definitely the ghettos that formed after the emancipation proclamation and the ones that were hindered by Jim Crow era. Do you believe that the Political-Social-Economic climates of the past played absolutely Zero part in where these communities are today?

The black community is effected by Jim Crow laws. People, places, actions, policies have lasting effects that ripple through time. Jim Crow was only abolished FIFTY years ago. How could you think it doesn't have a lasting effect? You cannot make up for the socio-economic gap between slaves and mainstream society in only 50-150 years.
Well that's not quite true for a few reasons. More blacks have come here voluntarily since slavery than were ever brought here during. Also, it's not hard to consider it a problem that just takes time when crime and unwed pregnancy are getting significantly worse with time. It's kind of going the wrong direction.

I just look at the behavior of black people (some) here in Canada that act in the same way. Despite all the opportunity they would rather sell drugs, commit crime and shoot up the place. I think people that engage in thug life do it because they think it's cool.

Can't argue with the rest of your post!
One caveat I would have to add to this whole conversation is that I have yet to see a sizable black population emerge, anywhere in the world, that is on average, economically prosperous with low crime rates. Everywhere that black people are, there are high crime rates, and the majority of them are in poverty. I don't know why that is, and I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I am just noticing that it is that way. To me, all options are on the table and I don't automatically write off anything because its "racist" or "offensive". Our understanding of the genetic components of IQ have improved dramatically in recent years, and that appears to be a good indicator of prosperity and success. Are there other factors that have influenced the socio-economic status of black people globally? I don't know.

A sub point of discussion to the above that I have been recently pondering is this: colonialism of Africa is often blamed for the woes and misfortunes of Africa today. I suppose that's partially understandable. However, colonialism in Africa didn't really begin until about 1870. Why is it that the civilizations of Africa were so technologically and socially far behind European society that they were so weak and susceptible to invasion and colonialism from Europe? I mean, when we were beginning to develop the machinery that drove the industrial revolution, when we were developing the first engines, when we had fairly advanced fire arms, complex social and political structures, most of Africa was living in tribes, dressing in leaves and wielding spears. Why is that? I would genuinely like the input from someone on this question that is educated in the field. Maybe @Trotsky ? @Jack V Savage ?

Well that's not quite true for a few reasons. More blacks have come here voluntarily since slavery than were ever brought here during. Also, it's not hard to consider it a problem that just takes time when crime and unwed pregnancy are getting significantly worse with time. It's kind of going the wrong direction.
I'm fairly certain you're wrong about your first claim. Millions of black people were brought here during slavery, and they have millions of descendants, especially with their high birth rates. I don't think it's statistically true that there are more black people living in America that arrived AFTER slavery than there are descendants of slaves. I would also add that it wouldn't matter if you weren't the descendant of slaves during Jim Crow. If you immigrated here from Haiti in 1912, or 1922, or 1932, or 1942, you were still subject to Jim Crow laws. You were still subject to lynch mobs, not having full voting rights, so on and so forth.

As for your second claim, I agree. Some markers of social progress are actually going in the wrong direction for black people. Like single parent homes, fatherlessness, etc.

I have half SJWs and half MAGA fanatics. I am a free market oriented libertarian Democrat and sometimes it feels very lonely but I get by.
IKIFEEL.jpg

One caveat I would have to add to this whole conversation is that I have yet to see a sizable black population emerge, anywhere in the world, that is on average, economically prosperous with low crime rates. Everywhere that black people are, there are high crime rates, and the majority of them are in poverty. I don't know why that is, and I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I am just noticing that it is that way. To me, all options are on the table and I don't automatically write off anything because its "racist" or "offensive". Our understanding of the genetic components of IQ have improved dramatically in recent years, and that appears to be a good indicator of prosperity and success. Are there other factors that have influenced the socio-economic status of black people globally? I don't know.

A sub point of discussion to the above that I have been recently pondering is this: colonialism of Africa is often blamed for the woes and misfortunes of Africa today. I suppose that's partially understandable. However, colonialism in Africa didn't really begin until about 1870. Why is it that the civilizations of Africa were so technologically and socially far behind European society that they were so weak and susceptible to invasion and colonialism from Europe? I mean, when we were beginning to develop the machinery that drove the industrial revolution, when we were developing the first engines, when we had fairly advanced fire arms, complex social and political structures, most of Africa was living in tribes, dressing in leaves and wielding spears. Why is that? I would genuinely like the input from someone on this question that is educated in the field. Maybe @Trotsky ? @Jack V Savage ?

Geography may be a part of the the reason that Eurasia has dominated the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

I believe it's on youtube as well

I haven't been on facebook in years and I made the mistake of going on there for the first time in forever and it made me realize why I don't keep in touch with most of my older friends. All of them are left wing nutjobs. Every single post is complaining about how racist trump is, how terrible America is, how the rape culture and gun culture is out of control. These were all kids that did really well in my school and I know they have brains. That makes it even more confusing. How do smart kids end up like this?

I know some people ham it up. "look at me, I'm a good person!". People tend to portray themselves on fb as more liberal than they are in my experience. I have a few friends who don't talk like that outside of fb posts

With all due respect, I'd prefer to sit this one out. Starting from the place of "I just look at the behavior of black people (some) here in Canada that act in the same way. Despite all the opportunity they would rather sell drugs, commit crime and shoot up the place. I think people that engage in thug life do it because they think it's cool." and knowing the poster and his MO, I do not foresee making any headway with reason, let alone enough headway to make it worth the hassle and having to read about how I'm genetically inferior or predisposed towards laziness and violence, because some neo-Nazi fuckwit in the garbs of an objectivist-realist insists that the world be that simple.

With all due respect, I'd prefer to sit this one out. Starting from the place of "I just look at the behavior of black people (some) here in Canada that act in the same way. Despite all the opportunity they would rather sell drugs, commit crime and shoot up the place. I think people that engage in thug life do it because they think it's cool." and knowing the poster and his MO, I do not foresee making any headway with reason, let alone enough headway to make it worth the hassle and having to read about how I'm genetically inferior or predisposed towards laziness and violence, because some neo-Nazi fuckwit in the garbs of an objectivist-realist insists that the world be that simple.
Nah forget him, this is a separate conversation. This is more so my own question that I've been pondering lately (btw didn't know you're black). The question being, given that colonialism in Africa only started in about 1870, why is it that nearly all of African civilization was so far behind Europe technologically and socially?

None of them, not even the lefty ones

Most everyone i know from university, of all races have gone more to the right because they are part of the people who are taxed more -- but all of them are completely against trump and american conservationism rooted in religious belief

Back