Anyone excited about lotr amazon series?

It'd be cool to see golums back story. Before he got the ring up to the hobbit maybe.
No it wouldn't. He was a normal guy who did nothing exciting. Then after he got the ring he lived in a cave and ate fish for hundreds of years.

I generally hate when people expand on other people's work without their input.

Although this could potentially be more filling in the gaps, the second age you actually have a pretty decent framework for the story from Tolkien, just a lack of specifics.

That said I do think LOTR success is more than just about world building, Tolkien was also a good writer of character and even moreso of atmosphere. Even though Jacksons films often made significant changes you could see that very often they were informed by the atmosphere of the book.

Don't think so, The Tolkien estate owns the rights to that still, its LOTR Amazon has bought the rights to BUT that also means the aphendix of Return of the King that gives you vague details about the 2nd and 3rd ages. I see really three things they could do...

The Second Age - That could involve the buildup to the original wars of the rings that you see the ending of in the flashback opening to Fellowship of the Ring, the forging of the various rings and the story of the Numenoreans who the Gondorians/Aragorn are desended from. You could actually make that into a massive epic if you wanted to perhaps even larger in scale than Jacksons Lord of the Rings films.

The Third Age - Smaller scale than the above but events in Gondor and especially Arnor, the northern kingdom Aragorn was desended from that rules in the area around the Shire and fought the Witch King, again you see a flashback to that in the Hobbit with the Witchking being buried by them. This seems like it would be more Game of Thrones like, more human politics between kingdoms.

Late Third Age - Cover events very close to the point Lord of the Rings starts with perhaps a younger Aragorn played by someone else, that would probably be much smaller in scale and like personal adventures although to me it doesn't really seem like much that's very important bar perhaps the Aragorn/Arwen romance.
I think I heard it was the third one

Well what would you imagine of the life of a halfling in a fishing village?

Could be anything you want. A desperate hobbit on the run, hiding in a fishing village until he can pay off his debt to the hobbit mafia. Leader of a weird hobbit sex cult, eventually gets the herp.

Then there's the years of being tormented into insanity by the thing that he both desires, and despises more than anything in the world. A good writer could do a lot with that.

I can tell you'd make a fantastic writer.
Gollum's backstory was already written by a great writer.

Smeagol was a hobbit who lived by a river, found the ring, was corrupted by it, and hide with it in mountainous caves. His significance to the narrative is that he was the one to find the ring after it had been laying dormant at the bottom of a river for thousands of years, presumed lost, and through him Bilbo and then Frodo acquired it. He is also significant because he represents what Bilbo or Frodo would have become if they had kept the ring for too long.

His story has been told in the films. We've seen him before he found the ring, we've seen him commit his first murder in order to secure the ring for himself, we've seen how his humanity was lost and how he was driven into the mountains, we've seen his encounter with Bilbo, we've seen him follow Frodo to Mount Doom and die in the fires. What's left of his story for us to see?

Then there's the years of being tormented into insanity by the thing that he both desires, and despises more than anything in the world. A good writer could do a lot with that.
He lived in a cave and ate fish for hundreds of years.

The Lord of the Rings movies already covered his torment over the ring adequately.

Gollum's backstory was already written by a great writer.

Smeagol was a hobbit who lived by a river, found the ring, was corrupted by it, and hide with it in mountainous caves. His significance to the narrative is that he was the one to find the ring after it had been laying dormant at the bottom of a river for thousands of years, presumed lost, and through him Bilbo and then Frodo acquired it. He is also significant because he represents what Bilbo or Frodo would have become if they had kept the ring for too long.

His story has been told in the films. We've seen him before he found the ring, we've seen him commit his first murder in order to secure the ring for himself, we've seen how his humanity was lost and how he was driven into the mountains, we've seen his encounter with Bilbo, we've seen him follow Frodo to Mount Doom and die in the fires. What's left of his story for us to see?

The story of him discovering the ring has been told. The story of him being found by Bilbo has been told. The story of the many years of torment he endured as a result of finding the ring has never been told. The story of his life before finding the ring has never been told.

Who's producing? I'm worried they'll do tits and ass and mature rated Game of Thrones style which is all the rage these days.

The story of his life before finding the ring has never been told.
Because he didn't do a fucking thing. He was a hobbit who lived by the river and liked to fish and swim.
Could be anything you want. A desperate hobbit on the run, hiding in a fishing village until he can pay off his debt to the hobbit mafia. Leader of a weird hobbit sex cult, eventually gets the herp.
Frodo walked through a field and climbed a mountain.
Stop trolling.

Gollum stayed in the same location for hundreds of years and did literally nothing except eat fish and talk to himself.

Because he didn't do a fucking thing. He was a hobbit who lived by the river and liked to fish and swim.

Stop trolling.

Gollum stayed in the same location for hundreds of years and did literally nothing except eat fish and talk to himself.

Like I said. You'd make an amazing writer.

Oh no, stunted imagination doesn't like my idea.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

If you think those ideas aren't utter shit then you're the one with the warped imagination.

I get that you're some type of weird Gollum fanboy, but it's not a good idea to expand on a character who's story has been told in its entirety, just for the sake of expanding on him. That's what people with stunted imaginations do.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

If you think those ideas aren't utter shit then you're the one with the warped imagination.

I get that you're some type of weird Gollum fanboy, but it's not a good idea to expand on a character who's story has been told in its entirety, just for the sake of expanding on him. That's what people with stunted imaginations do.

Compelling story. Tell me more.

Back