Anyone not impressed by Holloway?

That's my feelings, sue me. That streak is impressive. The way he fights doesn't seem impressive. I find Francis impressive. Darren Till impressive. Colby Covington impressive. Conor impressive. etc

Colby and Till each have ONE high profile win...so how do those guys qualify as "impressive" but a champion of Max' calibre and with his record does not?

no suing...I just think your criteria for what constitutes an impressive fighter and style is rather unsophisticated.

edit: that maybe came out a bit douchy and rude...sorry. dismissal of a very high-level fighter is admittedly a bit of a trigger lol - if you legit prefer watching those guys over Max...eh...ok (and who doesn't love Francis, of course). I still can't deal with 'unimpressed' being a serious evaluation of Max as a fighter though.

Last edited:
hes very scrappy.. so its easy to think hes just some tough brawler.. but by mma standards his striking is among the best.. the way he fights suits him because hes usually tougher than people hes fighting but he sets up his strikes well and though he may look like hes a slugger hes fighting very intelligent.

Gotta admit, I am a long time Max doubter. Not that I thought he was a scrub, but he just looked like a basic volume puncher, who didn't seem to do anything special apart from throw a lot of bodypunches (rare for MMA) and have good cardio. I didn't think he was up to much, skill and technique wise.

But I concede, he is an excellent fighter. Hard to deny that now. I thought Aldo would beat him, and he just thrashed Aldo twice.

To me, he still doesn't exactly look as good as his excellent run would indicate, but he has some attributes that make him very hard to beat.

Size (for 145), workrate, stamina, solid power, accuracy, and an excellent chin. He will be very hard to beat at 145, no doubt about it.

If you aren't impressed with Holloway, your standards are ridiculous.

Point blank.

Not impressed?

- 12 fight win streak, longest in UFC Featherweight history
- Wins over Jose Aldo (FW GOAT) x2, Cub Swanson, Jeremey Stephens, Ricardo Llamas, and Anthony Pettis.
- Most significant strikes landed in FW (1163), #5 overall in all weightclasses.
- Strikes landed per minute (5.53) with most knockdowns in Featherweight history (8)
- His destruction of Jose Aldo (FW GOAT) was one of the most masterful performances in MMA history along with one of the biggest one sided beatdowns I have ever seen.

He is only 26, and has nearly cleaned out the division.

Not excited?

26.gif

strike-volume-3.gif
TalkativeImmediateKittiwake.gif

tumblr_o8a3xrqhFo1rofocqo1_500.gif

tumblr_oi0azo41wX1r7vh24o1_540.gif

xT8qB0sJy6TqjgBE7S.gif

Max+Holloway+Guillotine+Chokes+Andre+Fili+UFC+172.gif

Holloway on the surface doesn't really look or do anything special. It's the accumulation that gets you.

I think Luke Thomas said it best. You're a frog in water that doesn't realize it's boiling until it's too late against Max.

I mean, I dont' know, I don't find him all that exciting or great, volume puncher, young and got a good heart, and great at moving in and out and throwing combinations, but nothing I haven't seen before.

I find Francis exciting, Cormier/Jones at LHW, Rockhold, Romero, Weidman, Jacare, Mousasi exciting at MW, Maia, Thomson exciting at WW, etc...
I like him as a person but until he stops fighting midgets I'll respect his fighting ability

I don't like the mime act him and other fighters seem to be doing in the cage more recently...Anyway i'm pretty sure Cannor still crushes him like a bug

If you are unimpressed by Holloway, you are in a very clear minority among those who follow and understand the sport.

That's my feelings, sue me. That streak is impressive. The way he fights doesn't seem impressive. I find Francis impressive. Darren Till impressive. Colby Covington impressive. Conor impressive. etc

All credibility lost.....

I mean, I dont' know, I don't find him all that exciting or great, volume puncher, young and got a good heart, and great at moving in and out and throwing combinations, but nothing I haven't seen before.

I find Francis exciting, Cormier/Jones at LHW, Rockhold, Romero, Weidman, Jacare, Mousasi exciting at MW, Maia, Thomson exciting at WW, etc...
Thompson is more exciting then Max? Dude has been in some of the most boring fights ever.

I mean, if you're not impressed with Holloway at this point, I don't know what to tell you

Back